Crick vs. the All-Time Nebraska Sack Record

knapplc

Jared Crick vs. the All-Time Nebraska Sack Record  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just checked the numbers from last year. Our 2010 opponents gave up an average of 2.0 sacks per game, while our 2011 opponents (using 2010 numbers) gave up 1.8 sacks per game. Six 2010 opponents gave up 2.4 sacks per game, while only three 2011 opponents gave up that many last year.

However, Terrelle Pryor is gone for OSU as is Stanzi for Iowa, meaning those numbers could increase since Bauserman (OSU) and Vandenberg (Iowa) are less mobile than their 2010 counterparts.

Against our 2010 lineup Crick garnered 9.5 sacks, with Steinkuhler being largely silent next to him. If Stein steps it up this year, and if Crick is the monster he's projected to be, I could see him breaking the record in the CCG or bowl game.

I am going to drink the kool-aid. I'm voting yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked the numbers from last year. Our 2010 opponents gave up an average of 2.0 sacks per game, while our 2011 opponents (using 2010 numbers) gave up 1.8 sacks per game. Six 2010 opponents gave up 2.4 sacks per game, while only three 2011 opponents gave up that many last year.

However, Terrelle Pryor is gone for OSU as is Stanzi for Iowa, meaning those numbers could increase since Bauserman (OSU) and Vandenberg (Iowa) are less mobile than their 2010 counterparts.

Against our 2010 lineup Crick garnered 9.5 sacks, with Steinkuhler being largely silent next to him. If Stein steps it up this year, and if Crick is the monster he's projected to be, I could see him breaking the record in the CCG or bowl game.

I am going to drink the kool-aid. I'm voting yes.

that "if Stein" thing is important this year.....for a lot of different reasons.

If he was a pure DE, I could see it. It just really shows how impressive of a player and career he has had doing it from the interior of the DLine. So obviously I voted for, No he won't break it. I had him at seven sacks, and I think that is a little heavy.

As mentioned the switch of conferences will hamper his numbers. The fact that a lot teams throw after play action also will deter those numbers. HOWEVER, if Lil Stein blows it up this year and there is another constant threat from any of the DE's then we may get to see a chance at something special.

Everyone knows that sacks are overrated...

In what ways?

The biggest benefit of sacks is the higher tendency for fumbles and the higher tendency for those fumbles to be recovered by the defense than on most other parts of the field.

Otherwise, they're glorified tackles for loss that, mostly due to poor public stats, have become the only perceived statistic for pass rushing defensive linemen. Guys make millions based solely on this one number. Sacks are not synonymous with pressure, though that fact makes it seem so. We don't rate total pressures highly (hits, hurries) because they aren't public stats, nor do we rate TFL because it isn't seemed as glamorous.

This is important in Pelini's defense. Measuring a player by how many sacks he gets often runs counter to what the player is supposed to be doing on that given play in this defense. For this reason, you'll often hear defensive coaches suggest that sacks are overrated. That shouldn't be confused with the idea they aren't trying to achieve pressure on the QB, in the appropriate situations.

Finally, like any summation statistic there is an error with efficiency. Sack Rate is a more useful measure, and more specific still is Sack Rate combined with down and distance. Across all forms of football, as would be no surprise, 3rd and long produces far more sacks than any other down and distance. If one is using stats as a measurement, as they normally are, such considerations should be noted. Furthermore, though against conventional thought, the role of the sack is far more a resultant of the QB than it is line play, though because of a lack of offensive line stats they are normally a principle measure for line play.