Getting to Nebraska on I-29 from Missouri

arkiehusker

29 is closed about 60 miles north of St.Joe, around Rockport, MO. My girlfriend and I were going to Council Bluffs this weekend before the game, so we took 136 East (at Rockport), until it merged with 59 North. We took 59 North until we got to 34 West. Take 34 West until you get to 29 North again. It's about 45 minutes more than it would normally take, but it still puts you back on 29, around Glenwood.

Thanks Men. See yall around the Stadium on Saturday!

Those directions from The Maudfather sound like they get you to Omaha, not Lincoln,

From what I gathered to go to Lincoln, take I-29 to St. Joe, take 36 HWY west to Hiawatha (there's road construction on 36 west of there) take 73 north to Falls City, then take 75 to NE City, then 2 west to Lincoln.

I've heard two different accounts of the construction on 36, one bad and one said no big deal. KDOT says it is working on two bridges and traffic is down to one lane on each bridge so you are likely to have to wait some. How long that is, I have no idea.

If 75 is that bad, you could take I-70 to Manhattan and take 77 north to Lincoln, though there is construction on 70 too. I've never come in from the south on 77 so I don't have any idea how game day traffic will be. Though I think you said you were coming up earlier so that may not matter.

Hope this helps.

I live in Springfield and ended up driving up 77. It slows down in some places due to a reduced speed limit but overall very little traffic. And even with the construction on 70 I never went slower than 65mph (my average speed was more like 85 on I70).

What I ended up doing was drive to junction city, state te night there, and then drive the 2 1/2 hours up to Lincoln on 77 in the morning.

I can't wait for I29 to open up again, but until then I'm going to continue using 77

Those directions from The Maudfather sound like they get you to Omaha, not Lincoln,

From what I gathered to go to Lincoln, take I-29 to St. Joe, take 36 HWY west to Hiawatha (there's road construction on 36 west of there) take 73 north to Falls City, then take 75 to NE City, then 2 west to Lincoln.

I've heard two different accounts of the construction on 36, one bad and one said no big deal. KDOT says it is working on two bridges and traffic is down to one lane on each bridge so you are likely to have to wait some. How long that is, I have no idea.

If 75 is that bad, you could take I-70 to Manhattan and take 77 north to Lincoln, though there is construction on 70 too. I've never come in from the south on 77 so I don't have any idea how game day traffic will be. Though I think you said you were coming up earlier so that may not matter.

Hope this helps.

I live in Falls City and go to school in Omaha so i take 75 a lot. Taking 36 to Hiawatha then going north on 73 through Falls City until it merges with 75 is the best way i think. 75 isnt bad at all until you get north of Nebraska City. But if you take 36 west passed Hiawatha you are taking a risk because the construction on those bridges could set you back about 20-30 minutes.

Hope this helps.

I'd be tempted to take 75 to 136 to Ne-50 to Ne-2. Maudfather's way is the best to Omaha.

• 2 months later...

Hey, how is the route from KC these days? I'm driving next weekend from the east. Usually come through St Louis to KC then up I-29 to highway 2 into Lincoln. Is that ok now or should I be looking at an alternate to 29? I'll be driving in Sunday morning. I could take another route via I-80 but I think it adds about an hour, though there's a bridge closed in Louisville so my usual route has that problem too.

Hey, how is the route from KC these days? I'm driving next weekend from the east. Usually come through St Louis to KC then up I-29 to highway 2 into Lincoln. Is that ok now or should I be looking at an alternate to 29? I'll be driving in Sunday morning. I could take another route via I-80 but I think it adds about an hour, though there's a bridge closed in Louisville so my usual route has that problem too.

I believe I-29 is open all the way thru now. Highway 2 is also open off I-29, by Nebraska City. I believe Highway 2 is still one lane each way from the Iowa border into Nebraska City. Safe travels.

http://www.dor.state.ne.us/flood/index.html