QB?

bdubb75

Here's the problem. Bo plays the best guys. We know this.

Not to get off the subject, but why does Tim Marlowe return kicks?.....or play WR.

I've wondered why Turner isn't back returning kicks, if that's what you're asking.

Marlowe is blazing fast, and an upperclassman. I'm guessing that has a lot to do with him being back there.

Want to bet that Washington kicks off to Marlowe on Saturday? Both UTC and Fresno picked on Ameer almost exclusively in the first two games. He responded by by taking one to the House and he's currently #2 in the nation in return yardage. I wouldn't kick to the kid if I were them.

Not to get off the subject, but why does Tim Marlowe return kicks?.....or play WR.

I've wondered why Turner isn't back returning kicks, if that's what you're asking.

Marlowe is blazing fast, and an upperclassman. I'm guessing that has a lot to do with him being back there.

Want to bet that Washington kicks off to Marlowe on Saturday? Both UTC and Fresno picked on Ameer almost exclusively in the first two games. He responded by by taking one to the House and he's currently #2 in the nation in return yardage. I wouldn't kick to the kid if I were them.

I would love to see Ameer and Turner be even more involved in our offense. Talk about two amazing Freshman.

I'll get torched for this, but what the heck it's my opinion and how I feel so I'll put my thoughts out there anyway.

Does no one see the similarities so far this year to how last year started. My goodness, he was being mentioned in Heisman talk midway into the season, until we ran into high caliber Big X11 defenses with superior athletes. I know he was injured, but he was completely ineffective, and even injured wasn't going to continue with the eye-popping numbers. And yes, I really do know much of that was Watson

Yes, his stats look really inpressive, but c'mon, does anyone really think those back footed lobs are going to continue to work when we start playing the big boys with real defenses? We're basing an awfull lot off a throw that Turner adjusted well to and made the catch, and another throw to a wide-open receiver in the corner of the endzone, every QB in the country could have made that throw. The shorter, quicker throws are still more often than not off the mark, usually behind the receiver and not catchable.

I realize he's most likely our best option. But for those who state that he is our best QB, no questions asked, how do we know for sure? We haven't even seen Carnes get any meaningful time, and he had option called on I believe five of his six snaps. How can we really know what he might be able to do.

I know Martinez is homerun hitter and many of our problems stem from other areas (namely that OL). But I can't believe the amount of people who are completely sold on him as being our answer. If anyone asks a reasonable question that does question him, they get shouted down quickly (I'm expecting mine soon).

Yes he's a sophmore, but after two games, does anyone think he has shown improvement over last year? His strenghs are still the same (he's fast and a threat to go all the way) as are his weaknesses (no pocket presence, poor accuracy, horrible ball security). At this point, I think he has a long way to go to being mentioned in the same group as our other QB's (Frost, Frazier, Crouch), and our team around Crouch wasn't anytning to right home about either. I'm just concerned that this year looks an awful lot like last year.

Just my thoughts on him. I hope I'm proven completely wrong, and what they worked on in the offseason starts to show itself soon. But at this point, this season looks to me an awfull lot like last year, and nobody liked how that ended.

totally agreed....yeah he's fast and all but that's about it...can anybody tell me that he's improved at all from last year?...still makes poor decision throwing the ball...i thought his mechanic would improve somewhat but man he still throws that thing like a loaf of bread...even on the easy throws he's just not very accurate...most of his throws were either behind the wr or at their feet...the guy can't hit a barn if his life depends on it...ball security is really bad...

Taylor obviously has some areas where his skillset is lacking. But Taylor from last year never really picked it up when the chips are down. He did that against Fresno State. It is an intangible, but a *very* significant one.

Look, we know his QB skills are only going to come so far, it just is what it is. But seeing him fight back after getting knocked in the teeth, that was great.

hehe...thought i was the only one asking that same question...is he really the best option when we have guys like aaron green, braylon heard and jamal turner sitting on the bench?

I'll get torched for this, but what the heck it's my opinion and how I feel so I'll put my thoughts out there anyway.

Does no one see the similarities so far this year to how last year started. My goodness, he was being mentioned in Heisman talk midway into the season, until we ran into high caliber Big X11 defenses with superior athletes. I know he was injured, but he was completely ineffective, and even injured wasn't going to continue with the eye-popping numbers. And yes, I really do know much of that was Watson

Yes, his stats look really inpressive, but c'mon, does anyone really think those back footed lobs are going to continue to work when we start playing the big boys with real defenses? We're basing an awfull lot off a throw that Turner adjusted well to and made the catch, and another throw to a wide-open receiver in the corner of the endzone, every QB in the country could have made that throw. The shorter, quicker throws are still more often than not off the mark, usually behind the receiver and not catchable.

I realize he's most likely our best option. But for those who state that he is our best QB, no questions asked, how do we know for sure? We haven't even seen Carnes get any meaningful time, and he had option called on I believe five of his six snaps. How can we really know what he might be able to do.

I know Martinez is homerun hitter and many of our problems stem from other areas (namely that OL). But I can't believe the amount of people who are completely sold on him as being our answer. If anyone asks a reasonable question that does question him, they get shouted down quickly (I'm expecting mine soon).

Yes he's a sophmore, but after two games, does anyone think he has shown improvement over last year? His strenghs are still the same (he's fast and a threat to go all the way) as are his weaknesses (no pocket presence, poor accuracy, horrible ball security). At this point, I think he has a long way to go to being mentioned in the same group as our other QB's (Frost, Frazier, Crouch), and our team around Crouch wasn't anytning to right home about either. I'm just concerned that this year looks an awful lot like last year.

Just my thoughts on him. I hope I'm proven completely wrong, and what they worked on in the offseason starts to show itself soon. But at this point, this season looks to me an awfull lot like last year, and nobody liked how that ended.

Tmart's two game this year....

rushing, 34 runs, 301 yds, 8.9 ypc, 5 TDS

passing, 21/43, 335 yds, I TD, 2 Int (one was the hail Mary)

You're gonna to bench that?

That's why I even hesitated to post. I knew someone would fire right back with the stats. Yes, the stats look great, but let me ask you a question. Do you believe those numbers are going to be sustained against the better quality opponents? Do you really believe we're going to get away with the throw it up deep and hope philosophy all through the season?

Did I say anywhere "I want to bench him"? I'm saying I'm concerned about his progress from last year on areas that are obvious weeknesses, that don't appear to anywhere near being fixed. I have no real idea if we have anyone else who can play the position, but how are we ever going to know? I'll tell you what, lets give the heisman out after two, or three, or even four games, then he'll have two and we'll all be happy. It's similar to the guy who hits .400 in spring training. I just don't want this season to end on a dissapointing note like last year.

I'll tell you what, show me the difference, or more importantly, the improvement from last year to this, something reasonable to pin my hopes and expectations on (in this area) and I'll gladly throw in with you and the majority.

Last week at this time, I completly agreed with you. But the question I asked Tmart defenders was "can you see him bring us from behind in the 4th quarter?" and mostly the answer was "No". Well I somewhat changed by mind after the 2nd half. Yes, he had help, but it is a team sport after all.I just wish we could have Fresno States play calling and offensive execution.

That is a very, very true statement. What I wouldn't give for Swift or Peterson at WR.

Oh boy, what I wouldn't give for both of them.

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I meant when I started this thread. Taylor Martinez is not a true QB. Wisconsin is showing us who a REAL QB is, Russel Wilson. He's picking up on the pressure and throwing smart passes. Taylor has put up 3 INTs and hasn't thrown well most of the night. It's his weakness, I understand that, but it's also a weakness to the entire offense because consistent QB play is powerful and in a conference like the Big 10 where defenses are typically good, we need it. We can't keep relying on feast or famine offense anymore.

• Fire 1

Frazier said that? I've been saying it for a while. I love Martinez but man, he's not a QB. He's an athlete but that's about it. Not only does he not run the offense well but he also puts the ball on the ground a lot and tonight, he's thrown 3 INTs and most of the other balls......were just bad.

T-Magic healthy stats:

Passing-- 91 of 163 for 1396 yards. 10 tds and 5 ints. 55.8 comp. pct.

Rushing: 143 Att. for 1187 yards. 8.3 yards a carry for 17 td's.

An overall record of 9-1. In ten games he has 2500 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Regardless of quality of opponent, it is unreal to have anything bad to say about a sophomore's first 10 games like that.

:thumbs :thumbs

Incredibly impressive stats. Even if they mostly came against non-conf teams.

Just imagine what those stats would be like if our Oline could block and our wrs could catch the ball?

Taylor was great at completing passes against Wisconsin. Unfortunately for us fans it was to the other team.

Frazier said that? I've been saying it for a while. I love Martinez but man, he's not a QB. He's an athlete but that's about it. Not only does he not run the offense well but he also puts the ball on the ground a lot and tonight, he's thrown 3 INTs and most of the other balls......were just bad.

It's not just his passing. He's not a good decision maker and once he makes one mistake he's rattled for the rest of the game. He is a great athlete and has great speed, but he does not have the mentality to be a QB. Yeah, I know the excuse.

Last year it's because he was a freshman. Now it's because he's a sophomore. And when he's just as bad as last year, will it be because he's a junior?