Big Red Hockey - will it ever happen?

Hockey?

Is that the thing where you play soccer on ice with a thick coaster and some club?

Isn't that already a women's sport?

No, thats the sport where people get hit into plexy glass and fighting is legal. And yes, women play hockey and it is also an olympic sport, is that a problem with you?

• Fire 1

First of all, if Husker37 actually WAS confused, it sounds like they were discussing curling v. hockey. Second, badgerfan, the main reason that I could see B1G membership affecting a potential hockey team is that a potential donor may have been waiting for the right moment when the Huskers were in a position to support hockey. Big 12 had zero Division hockey teams, so the fit wasn't necessarily there, and with no rink, the investment would have been much greater. With a new arena going up that has a configuration for hockey and entry into a new conference that has several teams with hockey and will be adding hockey to its list of authorized/supported sports for the conference, a potential donor might just surface. It could even surface in the form of someone within the family that has donated the money to build a two ice sheet facility in downtown Lincoln close to where the new arena will be (Breslow family, family of the former state auditor John Breslow). The possibility is there, and I don't think Title IX has to take a hit if you start off with men's and women's hockey at the same time. That, and the fact that you'll be entering one of the most monied conferences in hockey automatically, with some of the most storied programs in the history of college hockey. I'm a huge UNO hockey fan, and it's great to see them gain entry into the NCHC, but UNL in the B1G conference for hockey would be amazing as well. Food for thought, anyway.

Hockey?

Is that the thing where you play soccer on ice with a thick coaster and some club?

No, thats the sport where people get hit into plexy glass and fighting is legal. And yes, women play hockey and it is also an olympic sport, is that a problem with you?

Sorry!

Just not much of a fight fan.

And my Ex has been dating a hockey player who'd been an ass to my Son ..I was sorta expecting/hoping to meet him last night at my Son's Soccer game and was working on some witty comebacks at the time.

I'd probably like Hockey a little if I actually saw it once (live)..I almost watched it a little back in '80 durring the Olympics, but to me..all other sports pale exponentially compaired to College Football.

And if there's going to be fighting involved, I'd much rather see Girls doing it.

plexy glass? :tv

Hockey?

Sorry!

Just not much of a fight fan.

And my Ex has been dating a hockey player who'd been an ass to my Son ..I was sorta expecting/hoping to meet him last night at my Son's Soccer game and was working on some witty comebacks at the time.

I'd probably like Hockey a little if I actually saw it once (live)..I almost watched it a little back in '80 durring the Olympics, but to me..all other sports pale exponentially compaired to College Football.

And if there's going to be fighting involved, I'd much rather see Girls doing it.

plexy glass? :tv

I don't watch hockey on tv, but going to see a game live is amazing!

Living 5 blocks from the University of Denver for a couple of years, we used to walk to Magness Arena and catch the Pioneers games. They were awesome, and all the seats were good. But like the Stars games, they also served beer, and that was a bonus. UNL would never allow it, especially with the current AD, therefore, it'd never happen.

• 1 month later...

I believe hockey will eventually become a varsity sport at Nebraska, but I think it's going to be some time before that happens. First, it's not going to happen with TO as the AD. I think behind the scenes there was something to the UNO cutting football with the promise that Nebraska wouldn't start hockey, but I don't think that meant Nebraska would always be without it. Get all UNO sports in Division I and give them some time to establish all the sports and make the entire department able to support itself as much as possible. Once that happens, then it would be a lot more likely to see Nebraska establish their own. Even though they having been playing for quite a while, the last thing UNO would want to see right now is Nebraska starting Hockey. In another 5-10 years? Probably not as big of a deal. Getting Big 10 hockey established is another big step for Nebraska. They will have 6 teams in the league but what I think we need to watch for is any other schools like Iowa or Purdue starting teams or maybe when ND gets a brain and joins the BIG in all sports, then I could see Nebraska making the move. After football and basketball, I would think hockey could easily be the third most watched sport on the Big Ten Network and would add a lot of value to it. The groundwork is definitely being laid with the new arena cable of hosting hockey and the other rinks being built as practice facilities but I think it will be the next AD that will actually do it, not Tom.