The sky is not falling

First of all, anybody who thought we were going to win this game after watching our first four was drinking way too much kool-aid. No reasonably objective Husker fan truly thought we were going to win this game based on the way we had played so far this season.

On offense, we got away from ourselves. If teams take away our running game (or if we take it away from ourselves), we aren't going to perform well on offense. End of story. It was true in the 80s, it was true in the 90's, and it's true now. We got down by a single touchdown in the second quarter (20-14), and we panicked and tried to air it out. That's not going to end well with Martinez at QB, it's not who we are.

As far as Martinez goes, what did any of you expect? He's not Russell Wilson - we don't have that QB. Without a running game, he's not going to be successful. Tonight, Tim Beck put in him in a position that he's never going to be successful in. This was Beck's worst game. If you have a running game working, Martinez is lethal - see the first quarter. If you don't, he's not a viable QB. This is nothing new.

On defense, this team has a long, long, long ways to go. Poor tackling. Missed run fits. Broken coverages. Bad technique. The Pelinis have to get to work.

Overall, I didn't expect us to win tonight. I didn't expect a blowout, but we were not disciplined, we panicked and we got away from ourselves. However, a loss tonight isn't that bad and it's a long season - now our job is to get better every week, win our division, and if we take care of ourselves, then we're going to give Wisconsin a hell of a game in the CCG.

• Fire 2

First of all, anybody who thought we were going to win this game after watching our first four was drinking way too much kool-aid. No reasonably objective Husker fan truly thought we were going to win this game based on the way we had played so far this season.

On offense, we got away from ourselves. If teams take away our running game (or if we take it away from ourselves), we aren't going to perform well on offense. End of story. It was true in the 80s, it was true in the 90's, and it's true now. We got down by a single touchdown in the second quarter (20-14), and we panicked and tried to air it out. That's not going to end well with Martinez at QB, it's not who we are.

As far as Martinez goes, what did any of you expect? He's not Russell Wilson - we don't have that QB. Without a running game, he's not going to be successful. Tonight, Tim Beck put in him in a position that he's never going to be successful in. This was Beck's worst game. If you have a running game working, Martinez is lethal - see the first quarter. If you don't, he's not a viable QB. This is nothing new.

On defense, this team has a long, long, long ways to go. Poor tackling. Missed run fits. Broken coverages. Bad technique. The Pelinis have to get to work.

Overall, I didn't expect us to win tonight. I didn't expect a blowout, but we were not disciplined, we panicked and we got away from ourselves. However, a loss tonight isn't that bad and it's a long season - now our job is to get better every week, win our division, and if we take care of ourselves, then we're going to give Wisconsin a hell of a game in the CCG.

Personal attacks aren't needed nor necessary, attack the post not the poster. See your PM box.

I agree, though the mental meltdown after things started slipping is disconcerting.

I fully expect to beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 Championship.

Take away our 3 interceptions and pull our heads out of our asses on coverage. That is all it is going to take.

Pelinis will fix the coverage. I am sure about that.

Taylor... Well we will see what Tim Beck can do. I'm sure it'll be better than SW.

This is going to be an '08 type of season. This was an '08 Missouri type of loss. Very humbling. But this is not going to be an '07 type of collapse. Young players, new coaches. Time will be takin. Adjustments will be made. Improvements will be seen. That 08 team was night and day by the end of the year. And I think we saw tonight what everyone was fearing. This defense is not built for Big 10 offense yet. Were are still built for defending the spread and got bulldozed tonight.

We knew this was going to be an ugly game, it turned out to be what we were all afraid of.

I mean even if you do fire everyone on the staff, who do you replace them with?

exactly, shut the hell up and calm down. We have the best at the helm right now.

Its not like it was with Cosgrove and Callahan where we knew we could get a better coaching staff than them.

Yah, an ugly, ugly game. But it's a long season and they could still turn it around. Wisconsin was probably the toughest team we'll play by a long shot. If they can figure out how to cover in the secondary, we could still have a shot at a revenge came in the Big 10 Championship game.

(Hey -- A guy can dream!)

• Fire 1