Jared Crick's condition

That really does suck for the team and especially for him personally. But I think we've got some pretty good talent behind him and they have actually seen the field this year and gained some experience so we should be in good shape. Hopefully he can be a good mentor to those guys and provide some more sideline coaching.

Never really panned out to be the star we expected him to be, but he did great things at this University and everyone in the Husker family is going to miss him.

Star? He was great in his time here.

He was solid with Suh at his side, and just as solid his junior year withour Suh next to him. He had his sites on the career sack record at nebraska(would have been tough), but He will still go down as one of our best Dlineman.

This will probably be my lasting impression of Crick:

Yeah, that's one hit of Crick's I'll never forget. When I saw it live I was a little worried Price would't get up after that. It was a perfectly clean, awesome football hit. But vicious! A real slobberknocker!

This is not what we need right now.

Unless it is.

Seriously. It's hard to tell in these situations where your star player goes down. But there are plenty of examples in team sports where a) younger players suddenly realize they can't hide behind the guy who gets all the attention and b) everybody realizes they will have to pick up their game and c) the loss sparks a higher level of unity.

Not that this defense needed any more wake-up calls, but it's entirely possible they rally around the fallen Crick and start playing better than they did with him.

I realize this is a terrible blow to the team, but Chase Rome is an absolute monster. The kid would get his chance, unfortunately it is coming early. Crick will still be around as a leader and voice in the locker room, so I'm not worried about loss of heart or play, but his knowledge on the field was more valuable. Hopefully with Baptiste and the Depth at D-Line this won't be too big of a hit to the season....