Jump to content
Excel

The Walking Dead

Recommended Posts

New promo pics for Fear are giving some the thought that the Whisperers maybe in S4 of Fear.   Maybe build them up during the summer and have the two shows combine in the fall?  That would be strange to move that whole story arc to Fear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, Redux said:

 

Does anyone ecwn remember the whole show arc of the weirdo cops in the skyscraper building that kept people hostage?  Most people don't even remember it until it's brought up, and even less thought it was good.  That's because it was all original material, none of it came from the comics, hence why it felt so out of place.  It's only real purpose was to prolong getting to Alexandria and meeting Negan.  What they do next after this story arc will either revive or sink this show.  I'm not optimistic for it's survival right now.

 

I would never have guessed that, they fitted perfectly into the single-themed gang that dominated the story from S4 and onward.  The Cop-Docs seemed much more realistic than the Wolves and Garbage Pail Kids.

Edited by Notre Dame Joe
  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was okay.  It led to them killing off Beth for basically no reason.

 

This weeks episode was so beyond mind numbing.  The episode was fine, but wtf are they doing when writing Rick?  A week ago he tells dying Carl "I'll make your dream real".  Literally an hour later "Screw Jadis who I just had to come see for no reason" and "I'm gonna kill you Negan".  Both of those things would be directly the OPPOSITE of what he promised dying Carl, whom he seems to be mourning quite easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched Sunday's episode.  Gotta say, that may have been the best episode of thr season if I'm being honest.  The Negan and Rick chase and fight was well done.  Simon and Dwight are both veering in different directions, the Saviors are unknowingly spinning out of control.  A cameo by a new group, probably the Commonwealth (fingers crossed).  And a cliffhanger I actually liked for the first time in a long time, Jadis ends up with Negan at gun point.

 

I won't go into spoilers, partly because the show has gone a bit off the rails in terms of source material.  But, the Commonwealth is a MASSIVE community based out of Ohio.  This isn't how they were introduced in the comic, but I like this early preview so far.  It will make the post All Out War arc interesting.  I expect Dwight and Simon to end up struggling for control perhaps since Negan is currently a hostage.  Perhaps Jadis will use him as leverage to make a deal with Rick?  I'm finally excited to see where they go with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Redux said:

Just watched Sunday's episode.  Gotta say, that may have been the best episode of thr season if I'm being honest.  The Negan and Rick chase and fight was well done.  Simon and Dwight are both veering in different directions, the Saviors are unknowingly spinning out of control.  A cameo by a new group, probably the Commonwealth (fingers crossed).  And a cliffhanger I actually liked for the first time in a long time, Jadis ends up with Negan at gun point.

 

I won't go into spoilers, partly because the show has gone a bit off the rails in terms of source material.  But, the Commonwealth is a MASSIVE community based out of Ohio.  This isn't how they were introduced in the comic, but I like this early preview so far.  It will make the post All Out War arc interesting.  I expect Dwight and Simon to end up struggling for control perhaps since Negan is currently a hostage.  Perhaps Jadis will use him as leverage to make a deal with Rick?  I'm finally excited to see where they go with this.

I just watched it finally last night and I agree. I really enjoyed this episode. It will be interesting to see where they go after the all out war with the Saviors. I'm not sure how many episodes are left before the season finale, but I really hope they wrap things up with Negan before the finale. It will be interesting to see what they do from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Redux said:

Just watched Sunday's episode.  Gotta say, that may have been the best episode of thr season if I'm being honest.  The Negan and Rick chase and fight was well done.  Simon and Dwight are both veering in different directions, the Saviors are unknowingly spinning out of control.  A cameo by a new group, probably the Commonwealth (fingers crossed).  And a cliffhanger I actually liked for the first time in a long time, Jadis ends up with Negan at gun point.

 

I won't go into spoilers, partly because the show has gone a bit off the rails in terms of source material.  But, the Commonwealth is a MASSIVE community based out of Ohio.  This isn't how they were introduced in the comic, but I like this early preview so far.  It will make the post All Out War arc interesting.  I expect Dwight and Simon to end up struggling for control perhaps since Negan is currently a hostage.  Perhaps Jadis will use him as leverage to make a deal with Rick?  I'm finally excited to see where they go with this.

 

If it is the commonwealth, that would make me think they are indeed moving the Whisperers to Fear.

 

And just an FYI, April 15th is the season finale and season premier of Fear.  They are doing a special crossover for that and showing it at local theaters, along with 30 minutes of bonus material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really REALLY hope they stick to the material and introduce the Whisperers after All Out War.  I think they will considering if that was the Commonwealth, they need a lot of time to construct the civilization Georgie and Maggie discussed (windmills etc).  Doing a small time jump and an entire season or so of the Whisperers allows for that to happen, and for Eugene to reestablish a connection with thr Commonwealth.  I still hope FTWD becomes the Whisperers but I doubt it at this point, I just hope that arc stays where it belongs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the last episode was the first one in a long time that I really liked.  I don't follow it as closely as some of you, like I literally don't know all the peoples names...but it seems like the Saviors are falling apart a bit.  When the guy with the hair and the guy with the face were searching for the guy with the bat...it was pretty tense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One good thing about this show is that I'm getting better at spotting the British person playing a country American, which has to be at least half of the speaking characters.  Green Party lady only had to say a couple lines before I knew she had to be from across the pond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon got off 'easy'   I was really hoping for another Glenn scene.  Lucille needed another victim.   I know this is a week old, but the stupid helicopter scene.   Don't tell me the pilot can't see Negan tied up with that deformed walker (roller in this case) and doesn't stay to find Jadis.  If anything do that scene at night, where the flare was needed, not in the middle of the day.  And where has Maggie been the last couple of episodes?   I haven't heard much good about her contract talks and fear they'll either Aunt Viv her or kill her off screen. 

 

Next week promises to be the end of the war, and the premier of Season 4 of Fear continuing the Morgan Arc.   Me and the misses got tickets and are seeing it at a local theater, along with 30 minutes of bonus footage.   Looking forward to this savior war to ending, and the beginning of the whisperers.   Though I'm afraid that with introduction of 'Georgie' (is she with the helicopter in some way?) that the whisperers could be passed off to Fear with Nick doing the Carl role and jumping to the Commonwealth.   It might actually be good (ala GoT) to get beyond the source material so fans won't compare the two and judge the TV show so harshly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Maggie is safe and Lauren Cohen's contract was figured out.

 

I don't think FTWD is going to borrow anything really from the comics at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...at least this arc is over with.  What a mess.  Carl died for nothing, literally zero payoff.  Yet so many disposable characters lived through a war.  All the deviation from the source material only to end up right where it would have if they stayed true to the story.  And now we have some weird ass game of thrones vibe at the end of the finale.  Every character flip flopped so hard this season it made it impossible to connect with any of them, except maybe Negan.

Edited by Redux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the finale wasn't what I was hoping for, they should have trimmed some fat from the show.  Few 'major' characters I would have liked to have seen gone, none of whom was Carl, but I understand why they killed him (with Chandler wanting to go to college, there wasn't a lot of options for Carl, hands were almost forced to kill him, there was no way to really allow him to do both).  If they use source material and do the Whisperers arc, that will trim some, but I still have no need for Daryl at this point.  It didn't answer my questions about Jadis and the helicopter...I mean Anne and the helicopter.   No Sheryl resolution, which I am hoping she comes back.  I was also hoping for some sort of tease, after the resolution to the war, about Heath and maybe 'finding' him.

 

There were still things I liked about the finale, I'm happy they kept Negan and are using that source material.   I liked the swerve they did with Eugene.

 

Bonus was seeing it on the big screen with the much better sound system than at home.   I'll have to rewatch both to see what my 'bonus' footage was, but it was fun sitting with 50+ other fans watching it and interacting during the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Carl's death had zilch to do with him wanting to go to college.   He had no intentions of leaving the show and found out midway through season 8 that Gimple made the decision to kill him off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Redux said:

Yeah Carl's death had zilch to do with him wanting to go to college.   He had no intentions of leaving the show and found out midway through season 8 that Gimple made the decision to kill him off.

 

My thoughts, Gimple killed him off because Chandler wanted to go to college.   Chandler didn't want to leave the show, he wanted to do both.  Gimple didn't want to have to work around that schedule and created the Carl got bit story arc.

 

Plus, if they wanted Rick to save Negan, they needed something to get Rick to change from his dark side.  Rick, in some aspects had become worse than Negan, and there needed to be a reason for him to come back.  Using the death of Carl and Negan taunting it, was what they came up with, could have been handled better.

 

If they do the Whisperer arc, I wonder if Enid would fill the Carl role.

Edited by sho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, Gimple killed him for shock value.  Nothing more.  Chandler Riggs has almost no reason to go to college.  Gimple got "promoted" because of his steering too far from the story.

 

Carl didn't have to die for Rick to change, that's the bulls#!t reasoning the show runners gave for killing him off.  Carls death was completely outside of the war so it had no impact on it.  And for 8 seasons Ricks main focus was keeping Carl alive.  Carl dies, he shrugs it off and continues the war.  It was all pointless, Gimple is a moron.  Now the story has to be tweaked and the interest level of the show is at an all time low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Redux are you assuming Lauren's contract has been figured out or have you read that somewhere?   Everything I see is she's still not under contract.   I've seen Gimple say he's 'pretty positive' she's returning, still a big gamble as she looks to be an antagonist in season 9.  I'm not sure where that storyline will go or how long, but I'm not a fan of Maggie acting that way.  With filming a few weeks away, the need to lock her in quick or 'Aunt Viv' her which would be a disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This show really has had a run of downright awful show runners. It's a same that AMC is so incredibly stingy; they should have kept Darabont around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sho said:

Hey @Redux are you assuming Lauren's contract has been figured out or have you read that somewhere?   Everything I see is she's still not under contract.   I've seen Gimple say he's 'pretty positive' she's returning, still a big gamble as she looks to be an antagonist in season 9.  I'm not sure where that storyline will go or how long, but I'm not a fan of Maggie acting that way.  With filming a few weeks away, the need to lock her in quick or 'Aunt Viv' her which would be a disaster.

 

She wants more money for playing a lead role, can't blame her. AMC will cave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Redux said:

Well...at least this arc is over with.  What a mess.  Carl died for nothing, literally zero payoff.  Yet so many disposable characters lived through a war.  All the deviation from the source material only to end up right where it would have if they stayed true to the story.  And now we have some weird ass game of thrones vibe at the end of the finale.  Every character flip flopped so hard this season it made it impossible to connect with any of them, except maybe Negan.

 

I'd 2nd. or 3rd or 4th this.  Since the group united at Alexandria there were too many characters rushing through their mini-stories.  I cannot believe Gimple branded an "all out war" in which there were two casualties (Sasha and Carl) in two seasons.

 

7 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

This show really has had a run of downright awful show runners. It's a same that AMC is so incredibly stingy; they should have kept Darabont around. 

 

I'd go back to Mazzazra implementing Darabont's ideas. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 11:17 PM, The Dude said:

Great episode.  TV show Carl was pretty much useless anyway.  Good riddence.

 

That's on Gimple.  I think Chandler Riggs could have portrayed badass Carl if given the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

I’m glad they killed off Carl.  Now if they just need to kill off Tara & Morgan.

Morgan is lame.

I don't even know if I know which one Tara is anymore.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Morgan is lame.

I don't even know if I know which one Tara is anymore.

 

 

She’s the girl that was mad because her doctor girlfriend took an arrow to the eye.  

 

She’s a boring character played by a bad actress.

Edited by Pedro Guerrero
  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

 

She’s the girl that was mad because her doctor girlfriend took an arrow to the eye.  

 

She’s a boring character played by a bad actress.

 

She's a bit heavier than the other two.  I had trouble telling if I was watching Enid or Rosita and remembering their story lines, or if they even had them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I had trouble telling if I was watching Enid or Rosita 

 

 

One of them is very obviously white, and the other very obviously isn't...? :lol: That should be an easy clue at least as to which name belongs to which

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Redux said:

 

That's on Gimple.  I think Chandler Riggs could have portrayed badass Carl if given the chance.

 

I feel the opposite.  Carl as a character was badass, Chandler Riggs is just a huge dweeb.  

 

For me it was never about Carl being a badass.  It should have been about Rick trying to preserve Carl's humanity while losing his own.  The show really just glossed over that and tried to make it about Rick's need to keep Carl alive, even though Carl was perfectly capable of keeping himself alive for the last 4 seasons. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, The Dude said:

 

I feel the opposite.  Carl as a character was badass, Chandler Riggs is just a huge dweeb.  

 

For me it was never about Carl being a badass.  It should have been about Rick trying to preserve Carl's humanity while losing his own.  The show really just glossed over that and tried to make it about Rick's need to keep Carl alive, even though Carl was perfectly capable of keeping himself alive for the last 4 seasons. 

 

I think a lot of that dweeb vibe came from thr way they wrote him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:54 AM, The Dude said:

 

I feel the opposite.  Carl as a character was badass, Chandler Riggs is just a huge dweeb.  

 

For me it was never about Carl being a badass.  It should have been about Rick trying to preserve Carl's humanity while losing his own.  The show really just glossed over that and tried to make it about Rick's need to keep Carl alive, even though Carl was perfectly capable of keeping himself alive for the last 4 seasons. 

1

That's the biggest reason I was glad to see Carl die.

Spoiler

Pretty shocked that Rick let Negan live.

I kind of wanted to see someone kill Eugene. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone watching/keeping up on Fear?   I thought S3 was their best season by far and have been looking forward to S4.  I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I am liking the build up of the new antagonist for this season, the Vultures.    I'm hoping the fill in some of the gap as the season goes along from how they all ended up at the baseball stadium after the dam explosion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lauren Cohan has a new TV series starting this Fall called Whiskey Cavalier on ABC. I wonder if she is going to be killed off next season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there COULD have been.  But a f#&%ing moron named Scott Gimple made the "bold" decision to kill of the heir to the throne for literally zero payoff.  Honestly, at this point they may as well kill off Rick and Maggie halfway through the Whisperer War and start building around Negan and Daryl.

 

Thanks Scott Gimple, you monumental choad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.  You can't tell the story of Rick Grimes without Rick Crimes.  It would be like making a Batman movie without Batman.   Robin isn't going to carry it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TWD has always been about a man keeping his son safe in a zombie appocolypse, and at some point his son would take his place.  That's ALWAYS been the direction of the comic and of the show until Gimple got his hands on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno, as of 179 that's not really the direction of the comic.  Carl is still a side character.  It doesn't seem like there's any indication he's poised to be the lead character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I AM GOIN TO RIOT IF RICK DIES!

 

Start getting your riot gear ready.   He gonna die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 10:17 AM, The Dude said:

I dunno, as of 179 that's not really the direction of the comic.  Carl is still a side character.  It doesn't seem like there's any indication he's poised to be the lead character.

 

I can't even remember the last issue Carl was in, just read the last one, and I'm anxious to see where this Commonwealth/Class warfare story goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 10:17 AM, The Dude said:

I dunno, as of 179 that's not really the direction of the comic.  Carl is still a side character.  It doesn't seem like there's any indication he's poised to be the lead character.

 

The New World Order arc wasn't supposed to focus on Rick and Carl.  I'm positive Carl will be back in spotlight form along with Rick and Maggie soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×