"Not a true Christian"

Can I ask why Jesus is depicted as a white guy with long flowing hair and blue eyes.... when we would have been an Arab?

Because that image was created in Rome to look like white Europeans.

Many Orthodox icons that I have seen do show a darker skinned Jesus.

I had an image of a black Yeshua ben Pantera... but lost the link to that site.

Nope, but I have read enough to know that many Christians don't understand the book they claim to live by. Either that or they willfully discard the parts that don't fit in with their perception of their religion. Like I said before, believe what you wish to believe, but understand why you believe it and where that belief originated - if it is not yours.

All too often the most knowledgeable people on the Bible are ex-Christians.

Here's an article to back that up. http://articles.lati...survey-20100928

Although I wonder if it has more to do with Christians who actually get into the composition and history of the Bible tend to either be liberal Christians or ex-Christians.

It's like the old joke. Question: How do you stop believing in the bible? Answer: Read it.

And that is totally the truth. Most people who Identify as Christians are unable to even name the apostles, let alone know what anything in the book actually says. They just go with whatever warped interpretation some preacher comes up with. I could expound on things from my experience but that would kinda side track things.

Cheers ...!

None of us that are human beings are "true Christians" without Christs sacrifice. In the Bible it states that no one goes before our Maker unless they go through Jesus who intercedes / interceded for us . Humans are one step above monkeys and without Christs sacrifices , our Maker looks at us as just that ; decrepit monkeys (which might explain the HMax crowd on their Cafe )...Not by human works , but by faith ...Through Christs sacrifices ...

And I will step up here and tell you I am one of the most decrepit monkey humans there is here ..

But believe Christ died for my sorry arse ..accept it and appreciate it ..

:cheers

We are here to get sidetracked , I am interested ...

Nope, but I have read enough to know that many Christians don't understand the book they claim to live by. Either that or they willfully discard the parts that don't fit in with their perception of their religion. Like I said before, believe what you wish to believe, but understand why you believe it and where that belief originated - if it is not yours.

Although I wonder if it has more to do with Christians who actually get into the composition and history of the Bible tend to either be liberal Christians or ex-Christians.

It's like the old joke. Question: How do you stop believing in the bible? Answer: Read it.

And that is totally the truth. Most people who Identify as Christians are unable to even name the apostles, let alone know what anything in the book actually says. They just go with whatever warped interpretation some preacher comes up with. I could expound on things from my experience but that would kinda side track things.

Actually Christ would look Jewish ..

Can I ask why Jesus is depicted as a white guy with long flowing hair and blue eyes.... when we would have been an Arab?

Because that image was created in Rome to look like white Europeans.

Many Orthodox icons that I have seen do show a darker skinned Jesus.

I had an image of a black Yeshua ben Pantera... but lost the link to that site.

Most who knock it havent read it , and you just proved that ...however you were given FREE CHOICE ...so carry on ...

Most who knock it havent read it , and you just proved that ...however you were given FREE CHOICE ...so carry on ...

Having many many debates about the Lord with Husker X since I've been here, I believe he has read the bible.

Good ! Hope so ...

Having many many debates about the Lord with Husker X since I've been here, I believe he has read the bible.

'Free Choice' really is not part of the Christian concepts. Free will can not coexist with a 'divine plan.' It can't really be a choice if the outcome is already known to someone. Unless you want to get into the theories that every choice made by each person splits off into another parallel universe and there really is a 'multiverse instead, and thats really getting out into fringe science.

The people that don't know what is in the Bible, don't live by it and etc. probably aren't Christians.

Can you say that, though? There were a LOT of Christians circa 100 AD. None of them had read the Bible. Today you're told that you MUST read and know and believe in the Bible 100% or... else. Whatever the "or" is in your sect.

For ~300~ years there was no Bible. That's about 15% of the total time frame of Christianity. What did those early Christians do without a Bible? Were they not Christians? It's problematic to define a Christian as someone who knows and lives by the Bible.