The "Fire Bo" guys would have wanted to fire Coach Osborne too.

Agreed, some people have no common sense and can't see the forest for the trees.

I struggle with all the people that put so much of this on the coaches and so little on other factors.

Tom was a great coach (understatement of the day) but that mid 90's run was also due to factors that no one can duplicate, no matter how hard they try.

TO put the system in place to allow it to happen and I give him all the credit in the world for the string of 9+ win seasons, bowl games, etc. but the 92-97 run we experienced is beyond anything we can ever expect to duplicate. I loved experiencing it and I miss that level of dominance greatly but some people need to realize when the glass is half full and when it is not half empty.

Here is my concern, i support Bo but why do we continue to play bad 6 games a year!?! I have no problem with his record, i am tired of losing to teams we a clearly better than. How many games have we lost and all thought wow if we didnt play remotely terrible and just played average we win the game. That is what i dont like is the inconsistent play from week to wee

Just playing devil's advocate, then explain Solich to me?

What do you mean by "explain Solich to me"?

He means why did Solich get fired, I think? Which doesn't seem to relate that well to this topic. His circumstances were completely different because of Pederson.

But it leads me to something I've pondered a few times. I wonder how good Nebraska would have been if Solich hadn't been fired that year and Pelini'd had a few years as the defensive coordinator. I'm quite happy with Pelini as the head coach, it's just something I've wondered.

Just playing devil's advocate, then explain Solich to me?

What do you mean by "explain Solich to me"?

He means why did Solich get fired, I think? Which doesn't seem to relate that well to this topic. His circumstances were completely different because of Pederson.

But it leads me to something I've pondered a few times. I wonder how good Nebraska would have been if Solich hadn't been fired that year and Pelini'd had a few years as the defensive coordinator. I'm quite happy with Pelini as the head coach, it's just something I've wondered.

Solich got fired because of a personal grudge between Pederson and Solich. When Pederson served as "Recruiting Coordinator" he and Solich did not get along.

Pederson never forgot that Solich never respected him as "Recruiting Coordinator".

If Pederson was going to fire Solich it should have been after the 7-7 season.

But Pederson pretended he was going to give Solich a chance to "right the ship".

In my opinion Solich did enough to earn another year.

He relinquished PLAY CALLING duties. He brought in BO PELINI to be his Defensive Coordinator. And his new staff went 10-3. So IMO Solich deserved another year.

T.O. almost left for Colorado in 1980, thought he and Nancy would be happier there. CU was maybe the worst team in college football then, I don't think anybody in the college football world foresaw T.O. doing what he did in the 90's. People that bring up that he lost 7 straight bowl games are forgetting that they weren't against teams like 2010 Washington.

If anyone is talking Bo out the door, it's the fringe fan base. Thankfully, Os won't listen. I am glad he is the A.D.

I agree. fire BO is a fringe group he is a solid coach and I thing he will pan out in the long run. As for Solich to each his own but as a fan it seemed like the program was on the wrong track, I maybe wrong, I guess we will never know.

This concept of people who want Bo fired are the same who wanted Osborne fired are false, Osborne won conference titles and got to BSC bowl games and recrutied elite talent.

How are they false? Have you actually read any of the posts in this topic? People are discussing Osborne's first years and comparing them to Pelini's. People wanted Osborne fired back then, before he'd done all of this that you've mentioned. What he did later is meaningless because we don't know what Pelini will do, and he's starting out on par with how Osborne started.

I'd like to add, while he did win a conference championship in his third year, it was right after Devaney. Just like Solich had great success right after Osborne. Pelini inherited a losing team. So people wanting to fire Pelini could be considered even worse.

This concept of people who want Bo fired are the same who wanted Osborne fired are false, Osborne won conference titles and got to BSC bowl games and recrutied elite talent.

How are they false? Have you actually read any of the posts in this topic? People are discussing Osborne's first years and comparing them to Pelini's. People wanted Osborne fired back then, before he'd done all of this that you've mentioned. What he did later is meaningless because we don't know what Pelini will do, and he's starting out on par with how Osborne started.

Osborne coached some pretty big time bowl games in his first 6 years...and you want to say Bo's only had 4 years then look at the first four.

Osborne coached some pretty big time bowl games in his first 6 years...and you want to say Bo's only had 4 years then look at the first four.

Okay.

Osborne's first four seasons winning percentages

75%

75%

83%

69%

Pelini's first three seasons winning percentages

69%

71%

71%

2011: 7–2 3–2

I guess I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make. Their percentages are not far off, and Osborne didn't have to play in conference championships. Take those two games from Pelini and he has two 77% seasons. And I'll repeat what I said before, Pelini inherited a mess.

Okay.

Osborne's first four seasons winning percentages

75%

75%

83%

69%

Pelini's first three seasons winning percentages

69%

71%

71%

2011: 7–2 3–2

I guess I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make. Their percentages are not far off, and Osborne didn't have to play in conference championships. Take those two games from Pelini and he has two 77% seasons. And I'll repeat what I said before, Pelini inherited a mess.

There was a lot of talent in that "mess"

I posted this in another thread, but I think it's worth it to make it's own thread.

How did Coach Osborne after he took over a powerhouse from Devaney?

1973 Went 9-2-1. Tied unranked Oklahoma State and Nebraska was ranked #2 but lost to unranked Missouri.

1974 Went 9-3. Lost to unranked Missouri and unranked Wisconsin.

1976 Went 9-3-1. Lost to unranked Iowa State.

1977 Went 9-3. Lost to unranked Iowa State and unranked Washington State.

1978 Went 9-3. Nebraska was ranked #2 in the country and lost to unranked Missouri .

You same guys would have been calling for Coach Osborne's head too.

Thankfully TO had Devaney for his AD and BO has Osborne.

As for the supposition that a fire Tom guy would also be a fire Bo guy its overly general and possible wrong ... because I was a Fire Tom Guy and I think Bo should stay.

I was at that Wisconsin game .. might have been the first game I ever attended. Two weeks later when they lost to Missouri I told some friends that Osbourne would never win a national championship. But hey I was 14 when I said it so I look upon it as the rashness of youth. After they won the NC in 94 I told my friends I was never so happy to be wrong.

But 20 years? Jeez, I hope it doesn't take that long again.

Yeah and the college football landscape has changed quite a bit since Osborne was the coach at Nebraska. As one example, the amount of schollys is limited, makes a huge different in the grand scheme of things. You don't think Bo would love to have a larger amount of schollys to give out?