Why is recruiting so difficult?

FLU

Since we're talking about recruiting, I'm guessing we're mostly talking about four and five star recruits. I'd have to imagine that if I were a four or five star recruit that I'm going to the school that has a tradition of sending players that play my position to the NFL. If I'm a QB, I'm going to the college that sends a lot of QB's to the NFL. What coaches and teams out there that aren't traditionally in the top five usually do beat top ten rated teams? OU pulls in some very top notch recruiting classes. There have been numerous games where OU has come out flat and lost just like they did at home to a not so great TT team this year.

TO was successful because he did something different. He never landed star power WR's because we mostly just used them to block. We were able to pick up high powered running backs because we were a run dominant team. QB is basically the same. We almost had our pick of the litter of running QB's because every other college was trying their luck with the fun'n gun. On offense we concentrated a lot of effort on the pipeline and running backs. I don't follow high school football at all, but I am wondering if the quality of players in Lincoln and Omaha just isn't what it used to be. We had a lot of in-state talent on those NC teams.

Yes, we certainly did. Almost our whole 95 offense was Nebraska kids. As you say, we had an identity then too which helped boatloads in getting OLinemen & rbs.

I wish we could bring back Bill Busch (the one & "only" Cally guy)......man, that guy was a recruiting machine.

GBR!!

I suggest all look at the Wisconsin 2012 class, it buries Nebraska, and as late as it is, not much chance of catching up. Same with Ohio State. We are not recruiting on equal ground and it is not the weather deal, Wisconsin should have more problems than us it seems.

It is winning and losing, you win, you get the kids, you lose, on National TV and a regular basis to any other team with a pulse, destroys interest quickly. Losing to non ranked team at home makes it easier for other programs to bad mouth the product. We are killing ourselves it seems to me.

I will say this.... NU will only get over this recruiting issue if they can win with regularity and play with fire in so doing. Until then, they really will lose ground every year (or... stay stagnant relative to OSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU). Thus, they will have to win with the players they have now...

That means NU will have to over-achieve --- and do so a great deal. Then, with the over-achieving NU team putting up attractive performances with regularity, they will attract better talent and we will begin to catch up some.

The problem is, NU is --- if anything --- an under-achiever.

I know. I know. People do not think that the "Bo must go" crowd have legitimate points --- and, perhaps it is a bit too early to head there --- but.... all indications are that NU is not improving, is not playing with fire, is under-prepared, has scheme and fundamentals problems, and is under achieving. A continuation of these problems --- especially in this context of being new in the B1G --- will be devastating to recruitment (a recruitment process that is still early in the process but seemingly is going badly) --- well...

This has to be turned around soon. And there is no real indication that the arrow is even pointed in the right direction (that is, NU may be digressing rather than progressing). How much longer can NU afford to let this happen? If --- and I guess it is a debatable issue --- but if NU is digressing in terms of on-field performance --- then the longer NU waits to invoke a change , the further NU falls behind in the future (as the ever-increasing recruiting gap favoring the B1G top programs will confound the problem further)

Again... NU needs to over-achieve with the players they have now... or the gap will get larger with time rather than smaller. That is certainly not happening. NU sitting on its hands and watching this for too long would be.... not good. How long to wait... debatable... but something must change major... soon.

Let's look at Rivals recruiting top 10 classes and non southern states over the past 4 years, guess every team in the North has the same problem as Michigan is the only team in the past 4 years to make the top 10 twice.

2012- Michigan only non south team in top 10

2011- Oregon and Notre Dame

2010- None

2009- Ohio State, Michigan

Again, you are only looking at the talent level, we need a different type athlete, one willing to work to get to the level we need. I believe Bo can develop talent, but he has to have the kid that wants to learn, that wants to show Rivals how bad they screwed up.

We are not going to get top ten classes now. Get back to winning we can work our way back, but we need quality people, not so much the top 5 star out there.

I'm hopeful that this staff is figuring it out now. Almost everyone on staff is new to that position (Bo's first head gig, Beck and Carl first-time coordinators, etc.). My hope is that we're still figuring out the recruiting side of things - who to target, who's likely to sign, who to send on different players in different areas, etc.

Can't really blame this staff much for the Class of 2008 (this year's Juniors/Seniors depending on redshirts) as they only started about a month before signing day. 2009 and 2010 were mediocre at best but it looks to be heading up. 2011 has already shown good results (Abdullah, Green, Turner & T. Moore) with several that I expect to contribute next year (Klachko, Peat Jr., Pirman, Reeves & Santos). 2012 also has some good possibilities although it will be small in numbers. If we can reel in a couple of the big targets we're after, it will look good on paper.

Time will tell.

This is not a knock on Frank, but wasn't the main problem with recruiting during his time as HC that our offense was out dated, and most kid's want to play in a pro style offense.

No, the main problem was they didn't recruit very hard at all by most accounts, much like Bo's staff has gotten the blame over the first couple of years.

I will say this.... NU will only get over this recruiting issue if they can win with regularity and play with fire in so doing. Until then, they really will lose ground every year (or... stay stagnant relative to OSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU). Thus, they will have to win with the players they have now...

That means NU will have to over-achieve --- and do so a great deal. Then, with the over-achieving NU team putting up attractive performances with regularity, they will attract better talent and we will begin to catch up some.

I know. I know. People do not think that the "Bo must go" crowd have legitimate points --- and, perhaps it is a bit too early to head there --- but.... all indications are that NU is not improving, is not playing with fire, is under-prepared, has scheme and fundamentals problems, and is under achieving. A continuation of these problems --- especially in this context of being new in the B1G --- will be devastating to recruitment (a recruitment process that is still early in the process but seemingly is going badly) --- well...

This has to be turned around soon. And there is no real indication that the arrow is even pointed in the right direction (that is, NU may be digressing rather than progressing). How much longer can NU afford to let this happen? If --- and I guess it is a debatable issue --- but if NU is digressing in terms of on-field performance --- then the longer NU waits to invoke a change , the further NU falls behind in the future (as the ever-increasing recruiting gap favoring the B1G top programs will confound the problem further)

Again... NU needs to over-achieve with the players they have now... or the gap will get larger with time rather than smaller. That is certainly not happening. NU sitting on its hands and watching this for too long would be.... not good. How long to wait... debatable... but something must change major... soon.

I agree with you but it's regress not digress

I agree with you but it's regress not digress

good point! regress --- that is what I meant! Thanks!

I suggest all look at the Wisconsin 2012 class, it buries Nebraska, and as late as it is, not much chance of catching up. Same with Ohio State. We are not recruiting on equal ground and it is not the weather deal, Wisconsin should have more problems than us it seems.

Again you are comparing, in this situation, NU to programs that are in states with a much larger population base. Hence there will always be way more Division I caliber high school kids in Ohio, Michigan, and yes even Wisconsin. Apples and oranger there.

The biggest thing I agree with you on is winning. Yes winning makes all well, and easily helps in recruiting.