From a Penn State Alum

While I won't speak for everyone in our community, let me clear a few things up for you people from my perspective:

1) All Penn Staters are saddened and shocked by the recent events. It's turned our community upside down.

2) Most Penn Staters believe that, although unfortunate, there was no other choice than to completely clean house ASAP, including Joe.

3) Paternoville, the tent community, more embodies the overall reaction of the student body, than the TMZ-esque coverage of a couple hundred drunken hooligans. The students at Paternoville raised almost $1000 for cancer research last night, and although saddened by recent events, have remained level headed.

4) The rest of the student body is planning a candlelight vigil for the victims after the pep rally Friday night. Child abuse ribbons will be worn on Saturday.

Finally, the idea that your team/fans are in some sort of imminent danger is preposterous. You will be welcomed and treated with respect as all of our guests are.

I feel bad for the school, the team, and the fan base of PSU along with the victims. The actions or in-actions of a select number of individuals has affected so many innocent people. There is a lot of collateral damage involved with this situation.

Hopefully Nebraska, the fans and players, will represent themselves well in this awkward situation.

Finally, the idea that your team/fans are in some sort of imminent danger is preposterous. You will be welcomed and treated with respect as all of our guests are.

I would be more inclined to believe this if I didn't hear stories of poor treatment by your fans to our fans when we visited Happy Valley in 2002. If they're willing to be unreasonably hostile for a non-conference game with nothing on the line, it's not unreasonable to believe that it could be worse in light of this situation.

Last night would have been a great time for Penn State students to prove how responsible they can be. Unfortunately....

I understand that some fans do act in this undesireable manner... Most do NOT act this way though, and I hope your time here will be pleasant :)

Absolutely. I think it's pretty well understood that the VAST majority of fans of all teams are polite, fun and decent people. The whole of Penn State Fans are not being held accountable for the actions of a few, just like we'd hope you don't hold all Nebraska fans accountable for the actions of the inevitable asshat you'll come across. But those few who do crappy things are pretty hard to ignore.

While I won't speak for everyone in our community, let me clear a few things up for you people from my perspective:

1) All Penn Staters are saddened and shocked by the recent events. It's turned our community upside down.

2) Most Penn Staters believe that, although unfortunate, there was no other choice than to completely clean house ASAP, including Joe.

3) Paternoville, the tent community, more embodies the overall reaction of the student body, than the TMZ-esque coverage of a couple hundred drunken hooligans. The students at Paternoville raised almost $1000 for cancer research last night, and although saddened by recent events, have remained level headed.

4) The rest of the student body is planning a candlelight vigil for the victims after the pep rally Friday night. Child abuse ribbons will be worn on Saturday.

Couple hundred . . . couple thousand . . . whatever. 90% of the students on the commons last night gave the rest a bad name.

This stuff is indefensible. Protesting on behalf of Paterno (and I was a HUGE fan of Paterno prior to this) is a slap in the face to the victims.

As an alum you should be ashamed and demand better.

Thanks to both of the Penn State fans to post here and share with us. I do appreciate your taking time out for this.

And, if all the fans were like you two then there would, of course, be no problems at all in fearing for safety.

That said, as blue and white points out while "most do NOT act this way" all it takes is a few. So, I'd say it is rational for a Husker fan to be on a special sense of "precisely how safe am I in here" while at the game.

The obvious thing for Husker fans to do on this particular game is not give anyone any reason to notice you. Be wary Husker fans.

Couple hundred . . . couple thousand . . . whatever. 90% of the students on the commons last night gave the rest a bad name.

This stuff is indefensible. Protesting on behalf of Paterno (and I was a HUGE fan of Paterno prior to this) is a slap in the face to the victims.

Yes a couple hundred. The overwhelming majority were just kids going outside to see what was going on.

I don't defend the actions of those few at all and am embarrassed by their actions. I also blame the BOT for announcing this at 10:15pm after the whole town was waiting to hear them all night.

At the end of the day, YOU NEBRASKA fans are the only ones who I ever hear that say that we are disrespectful in nature to guests. Ask everyone. I always welcome opposing fans to my tailgate and enjoy getting to know them. You are the only board in the last 5 years that I've silently trolled on that says we are disrespectful. Go ask the teams that we've played this year if they haven't been treated great. Every single one of them talks about how great it is. Perhaps your expectations of conflict leads to you being cold, defensive, and arrogant.

Yes a couple hundred. The overwhelming majority were just kids going outside to see what was going on.

I don't defend the actions of those few at all and am embarrassed by their actions. I also blame the BOT for announcing this at 10:15pm after the whole town was waiting to hear them all night.

At the end of the day, YOU NEBRASKA fans are the only ones who I ever hear that say that we are disrespectful in nature to guests. Ask everyone. I always welcome opposing fans to my tailgate and enjoy getting to know them. You are the only board in the last 5 years that I've silently trolled on that says we are disrespectful. Go ask the teams that we've played this year if they haven't been treated great. Every single one of them talks about how great it is. Perhaps your expectations of conflict leads to you being cold, defensive, and arrogant.

I didn't address this issue. I've never been to a game there and I don't put much weight behind random and anonymous stories from 2002.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Also, "thousands." http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/10/us-usa-crime-coach-reaction-idUSTRE7A90WC20111110

Ooh, cold and defensive? Not usually? Arrogant? Probably a little. We're the greatest fans in college football, remember? No one can be as hospitable as us.

Its-Science-228x300.jpg

• Fire 1