Just started playing it tonight, just got past the first dragon battle in the main quest.

Really unimpressed with the graphics to be honest. It looks pretty, but it looks like top-of-the-line from 2008 or 2009. For being late 2011, the visuals are not even close to what high-end rigs are capable of these days.

What are you playing on?

Anyhow I haven't even played a quest for the past couple hours. I'm just enjoying wandering around exploring. I've killed 2 randomly spawned Dragons. I think its kind of messed up that it takes more time and effort to kill a few mammoths and Giants than it does to kill a dragon but oh well...

PC, everything turned up as high as it will go.

It's not designed to give something like Rage a run for it's money on graphics. The massive scale of the areas and overall size of the game really limits things. But the game is sooo much more than just the graphics. Gameplay is by far its strong suit, and it hits a home run there.

I play it for 360 so obviously graphics aren't the selling point for me but I like it well enough. You play Elder Scrolls for the gameplay, story and pure volume of content. I've never gotten such longevity from a single player game. To give you an idea I still was playing Oblivion until this past summer. That's almost 5 straight years, hundreds of hours. Bethesda makes damn good games, worth every penny.

Someone mentioned Rage. That game was pretty but FAR too short. I beat the story in less than 10 hours of game time and once you beat it, its over. If you want to play it again you'd better load a previous save or start over...and the story was weak and ended pretty abruptly. The shooter portion was great and more enjoyable than say...fall out...in my mind but overall a less satisfying game.

Landlord, maybe there are a bunch of secret config file options that will let you turn the graphics up even higher. Or graphics card settings like the 3d accelerator quality, that is outside of the game. I don't know too much about what I'm talking about - I usually use these to turn the graphics down in order to play, uh, anything - but it's really hard to tell with PCs, exactly how much of the game's potential graphics you are using. You probably know that though, just thought it'd be worth a mention.

Badger--thanks for the info on Rage. Wasn't sure about it, looks like I'll hold off until it's in the bargin bin.

Oh, and Skyrim folks--if you have 5000 gold, you can get a free house in Whitehall (exploit/glitch) until they patch it. Helps if you're like me and you pick up everything you run into that you think is remotely useful (read: video game hoarder).

I watched my brother play it on PS3 for awhile. I wasnt really impressed.

Might be an aquired taste...I grew up playing Final Fantasy starting with the og Nintendo. I love rpg's more than anything. Now if SquareEnix would stop with the stupidity and put out a good FF, I'd be set for the next year in Afghanistan!

Or were you just commenting on the graphics?

Graphics are bleh, but thats understandable. But these games really dont trip my trigger much, I have been trying to expand my gaming choices but I cant seem to get out of the games that at least have some aspects of realism. I play alot of sports games, FPS, and that kindof somes up my gaming. I do like playing assassins creed and similar games, but this one just didn't do it for me.

Well, broke down and bought a 360, skyrim, and a new tv. Liking the game enough to cause my longest break from the board in years. And if I keep this up, its only a matter of time til the wife hides the disk...

As for the game, agreed with the dislike of attribute removal.

Also wish they had scaled the magic system with the character leveling. A few of those spells are pretty fun to use, but completely useless at higher levels. Need some of the old spells back too. Where are you open lock!!!!???? :(

Otherwise, I'm having a pretty damn good time collecting loot, abusing the crafting/enchanting system, and just plain old exploring. And maybe I'm old school and less impressed (or unimpressed?) by graphics, but I think the environments are beautiful. More than once I've rounded a corner and literally stopped to just take in the scenery on the screen.

Well, broke down and bought a 360, skyrim, and a new tv. Liking the game enough to cause my longest break from the board in years. And if I keep this up, its only a matter of time til the wife hides the disk...

As for the game, agreed with the dislike of attribute removal.

Also wish they had scaled the magic system with the character leveling. A few of those spells are pretty fun to use, but completely useless at higher levels. Need some of the old spells back too. Where are you open lock!!!!???? :(

Otherwise, I'm having a pretty damn good time collecting loot, abusing the crafting/enchanting system, and just plain old exploring. And maybe I'm old school and less impressed (or unimpressed?) by graphics, but I think the environments are beautiful. More than once I've rounded a corner and literally stopped to just take in the scenery on the screen.

Didn't Bethesda take the open lock spells out after Morrowind? Those things were kinda game breakers if you knew how to use them right.

Didn't Bethesda take the open lock spells out after Morrowind? Those things were kinda game breakers if you knew how to use them right.

Nah, they were in there.

Not attacking your post at all, but the arguments stating that certain elements were/can be game breaking kinda doesn't make sense to me. It's an RPG. If one wants to break the game and use skills that make the game easy, then so be it. The argument that the game is too easy comes from people who haven't limited themselves to certain builds than do not enjoy the exploits that these games inevitably contain.

Part of the huge draw to me for this type of game is exploit it in my first run, learn the engine, then purposefully limit myself in future playthroughs to skills which I consider more difficult to use - in regards to "easily" completing the game. And when you do complete the game in this manner, it is all the more rewarding.

Nah, they were in there.

Not attacking your post at all, but the arguments stating that certain elements were/can be game breaking kinda doesn't make sense to me. It's an RPG. If one wants to break the game and use skills that make the game easy, then so be it. The argument that the game is too easy comes from people who haven't limited themselves to certain builds than do not enjoy the exploits that these games inevitably contain.

Part of the huge draw to me for this type of game is exploit it in my first run, learn the engine, then purposefully limit myself in future playthroughs to skills which I consider more difficult to use - in regards to "easily" completing the game. And when you do complete the game in this manner, it is all the more rewarding.

Oh, I wasn't complaining. I used the hell out of those spells whenever I had them. :) I just thought I heard someone from Bethesda say they got rid of open lock spells because they are so deadly when used well.

Nah, they were in there.

Oh, I wasn't complaining. I used the hell out of those spells whenever I had them. :) I just thought I heard someone from Bethesda say they got rid of open lock spells because they are so deadly when used well.

Whoa...you can use them to kill people?

For some reason I never used magic much in these games...dunno why.

Anyhow what do you guys think of the crafting aspect they built into Skyrim? Like the ability to use the forge to create/refine armor, weapons etc...fire to cook food and so on?

Personally I don't see the value in it if I can just buy the stuff from the merchants in the towns...am I missing something? So far I've only used them to upgrade my armor and weapons to "fine" or whatever it is but so far I'm not really impressed with it. If I get my skill level up and obtain the right material can I craft unique items or is what you see what you get?

Nah, they were in there.

Anyhow what do you guys think of the crafting aspect they built into Skyrim? Like the ability to use the forge to create/refine armor, weapons etc...fire to cook food and so on?

Personally I don't see the value in it if I can just buy the stuff from the merchants in the towns...am I missing something? So far I've only used them to upgrade my armor and weapons to "fine" or whatever it is but so far I'm not really impressed with it. If I get my skill level up and obtain the right material can I craft unique items or is what you see what you get?

There's a bunch of awesome stuff you can do with these things at higher levels - brew really powerful potions, create dragon and elven armor, super powerful weapons, etc. It's all about the role-playing element; a lot of that stuff you can just find or buy or whatever, but people love doing it themselves.

Nah, they were in there.

I've never gotten into crafting in video games. It's way too much micromanaging, for my tastes. Like you, I prefer to just buy things from shops.

Nah, they were in there.

There's a bunch of awesome stuff you can do with these things at higher levels - brew really powerful potions, create dragon and elven armor, super powerful weapons, etc. It's all about the role-playing element; a lot of that stuff you can just find or buy or whatever, but people love doing it themselves.

Well I'll have to try it then...Dragon armor sounds bad ass. Already have elf armor though...I just killed some random guys for it. I really need to play a quest or two, I haven't done one in like 5 or so game hours...just been wandering around discovering stuff.