Deer Season

Southeast nebraska a place my brother has been taking fur to for years.

Hard to believe . . . sold 5 today and 1 was a beauty. Our buyer from Brayton, IA is paying $20 for the highest end.

If it was a sandhills 'yote you could convince me. SE Nebraska? Hard to believe.

Edit: added picture from yesterday showing that I know a little bit about fur prices.

furu.jpg

Got my first deer yesterday, pretty good doe. My father-in-law thinks it field dresses at around 185. I have no idea what's good and what's not, but she looks like a big doe. From the time I seen her until the time she was dead was less than 30 seconds. One shot through the heart, it hit her right in her shoulder so I didn't think I got a heart shot for sure, and the second was a spine shot and she dropped right there 15 yards from me. Overall a good weekend other than it rained all day Saturday so we didn't see any and it was cold as hell Sunday morning with ice everywhere.

• 1 month later...

Got this 188 incher with my muzzleloader on xmas day! thought id share. feel like sh#t in this pic cuz i just had surgery the day before

post-2453-0-84428300-1325912193.jpg

That's awesome, and probably more awesome is the fact that we all now know skulls are a about a thousand times creepier with the eyes still in the sockets.

yeah, i figured that would add some flavor to the pic!!! haha

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I didn't see any deer this year during shooting time. Had one walk right in front of me not 20 yards away 10 minutes before it was legal to shoot (too early to tell buck from doe). That was it. Every other day out it was just ziltch. Which is rare, usually you can basically just jump out and beat them with a stick.

On a semi-related side note, there are no more phesants or quail in SE Nebraska, going on years now, which is really sad. Add that in with the fact that farmers are all installing drain tile to remove grass waterways and taking out all the trees in order to take advantage of corn prices now and hunting just isn't the same, nor will it ever be.

edit: and to not be a downer, I'll leave this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/venison-chili/ recipe I made last year as a consolation. Only thing I'd add is get a wine you'd actually drink and add probably 1.5x or so of the chilli powder if you like spice. It was pretty good.

Unfortunately I didn't see any deer this year during shooting time. Had one walk right in front of me not 20 yards away 10 minutes before it was legal to shoot (too early to tell buck from doe). That was it. Every other day out it was just ziltch. Which is rare, usually you can basically just jump out and beat them with a stick.

On a semi-related side note, there are no more phesants or quail in SE Nebraska, going on years now, which is really sad. Add that in with the fact that farmers are all installing drain tile to remove grass waterways and taking out all the trees in order to take advantage of corn prices now and hunting just isn't the same, nor will it ever be.

edit: and to not be a downer, I'll leave this http://allrecipes.co.../venison-chili/ recipe I made last year as a consolation. Only thing I'd add is get a wine you'd actually drink and add probably 1.5x or so of the chilli powder if you like spice. It was pretty good.

Had about the same luck, plus the weather didn't help out much, it was in the 50's last weekend of muzzleloader season!! They won't be hanging out in the timbers when it that nice out.