Military given go-ahead to detain US terrorist suspects without trial

JJ. You're right. We're going to have to agree I disagree.

I think the US is and should be above torturing captives.

You think that in limited situations things like water boarding are justified. (Does that extend to other countries torturing US troops? Is that also justified?)

You think that in limited situations things like water boarding are justified. (Does that extend to other countries torturing US troops? Is that also justified?)

I do think it is ok in certain limited situations. I realize the trick in that is who makes the determination of when, why, and how. I have a lot more trust that the US will not abuse it. I don't feel it is ever justified to be used on our troops. That is a double standard but an understandable one. Hey, in a perfect world, I would like to see it never used by anyone but this isn't that world and I think in the context of the war on terror that we are justified in sticking our toes across that line considering our enemies are so far across that line that they don't even know where it is anymore. I view it differently than the historically typical prisoner of war situation. Might just be me rationalizing...

• Fire 1

I do think it is ok in certain limited situations. I realize the trick in that is who makes the determination of when, why, and how. I have a lot more trust that the US will not abuse it. I don't feel it is ever justified to be used on our troops. That is a double standard but an understandable one. Hey, in a perfect world, I would like to see it never used by anyone but this isn't that world and I think in the context of the war on terror that we are justified in sticking our toes across that line considering our enemies are so far across that line that they don't even know where it is anymore. I view it differently than the historically typical prisoner of war situation. Might just be me rationalizing...

+1

Fair post. I obviously don't agree but you do seem to appreciate and understand the different standards that you are applying to the US and the enemies of the US.