Panetta admits Iran not developing nukes

U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta let slip on Sunday the big open secret that Washington war hawks don’t want widely known: Iran is not developing nuclear weapons.

Appearing on CBS’s Face the Nation on Sunday, Panetta admitted that despite all the rhetoric, Iran is not pursuing the ability to split atoms with weapons, saying it is instead pursuing “a nuclear capability.”

That “capability” falls in line with what Iran has said for years: that it is developing nuclear energy facilities, not nuclear weapons.

“I think the pressure of the sanctions, the diplomatic pressures from everywhere, Europe, the United States,
elsewhere, it’s working to put pressure on them,” Panetta explained on Sunday. “To make them understand that they cannot continue to do what they’re doing. Are they trying to develop a nuclear weapon? No. But we know that they’re trying to develop a nuclear capability, and that’s what concerns us. And our red line to Iran is, do not develop a nuclear weapon. That’s a red line for us.”

Republicans have been beating the drums of war in recent weeks as tensions in the Iranian gulf have soared. Iran has threatened to shut down the Strait of Hormuz, a key oil transport hub crucial to global industry, if U.S. warships return to monitor their activities.

Iran said it was planning to hold military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz in the coming weeks, and prior wargames saw the Iranians test missiles that are designed to sink warships.

http://www.rawstory....veloping-nukes/

"Developing"... is a very subjective term.

It is clearly obvious that the Iranian nuclear program is intended for fuel generation.

However fuel refinement can be considered the first step toward more advance weapon grade uranium.

Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Japan and several other nations have similar programs, and are much closer to being able to build a weapon.

Unfortunately Obama and his buddies have the "regime change" bug up their asses again, which is what the sanctions and covert operations are about.

Unfortunately Obama and his buddies have the "regime change" bug up their asses again, which is what the sanctions and covert operations are about.

Have you been listening to the Republican candidates? Every one of them is advocating attacking Iran before allowing them to get nukes.

Have you been listening to the Republican candidates? Every one of them is advocating attacking Iran before allowing them to get nukes.

Except for Ron Paul.

And I would consider most of the Republican field to be "Obama and his buddies".

They talk good in opposing each other, but ideologically they are very similar on foreign policy.

Iran shouldn't be able to get nuke weapons...but on the same note...there should be no nukes anywhere in that region. We should be working towards getting rid of them all..but we are opposed to doing that. Our own guys/intelligence/miltary even say Iran would be crazy to NOT try to get a nuke weapon. If all your "enemies" around you have them you would be crazy to not try to get one yourself. I hope we can all at least agree that the entire region should be nuke free...

Iran shouldn't be able to get nuke weapons...but on the same note...there should be no nukes anywhere in that region. We should be working towards getting rid of them all..but we are opposed to doing that. Our own guys/intelligence/miltary even say Iran would be crazy to NOT try to get a nuke weapon. If all your "enemies" around you have them you would be crazy to not try to get one yourself. I hope we can all at least agree that the entire region should be nuke free...

There will be a time when the USA is no longer the super power and whoever is might think that we should no longer have nukes. Getting rid of our nukes would be incredibly stupid. Nukes=power and since China's army is twice the size of our own we rely on technology to reign superior. Even when China catches up that will no longer be reliable to stay superior. I hate to say it but if we could rid of our nukes it would only be a matter of time before we would get overrun.

What will Israel, India and Pakistan say about that?

What about NATO/US nukes in that region?

There will be a time when the USA is no longer the super power and whoever is might think that we should no longer have nukes. Getting rid of our nukes would be incredibly stupid. Nukes=power and since China's army is twice the size of our own we rely on technology to reign superior. Even when China catches up that will no longer be reliable to stay superior. I hate to say it but if we could rid of our nukes it would only be a matter of time before we would get overrun.

We rely on high tech weapons, not nukes.

China fears our army, navy and air force more than anything else.

Nukes are the international counterbalance to American high tech weapon superiority.

It was the threat of Russian nukes that disuaded the US not to aid Georgia in August of 2008.

Nukes are the international counterbalance to American high tech weapon superiority.

It was the threat of Russian nukes that disuaded the US not to aid Georgia in August of 2008.

Yeah but for how long? they are a growing country with a lot of surplus cash coming in. Aiding a country is not nearly the same as attacking us. Russia would be very afraid to go to war with us if it came down to that. Being dissuaded is an entirely different animal. While we can be very aggressive but we rather go the peaceful route first.

I'm no military strategist, but if I knew a single (or possibly 18) Ohio Class sub(s) could be sitting off my coast with 154 nuclear tip Tomahawk missles (or even a measley 14 Trident II s). I might be given reason to consider my next move. Technology is cool, but power is influence.

I am not convinced that the US has a moral right to stop any country from obtaining the tools it deems neccessary to ensure it's ends, but I'm not sure we can afford not to. Certainly, by our inaction the US will encourage Iran to act in it's own self interest. The question is this: will Iran's developement of this weapon threaten US interests and, if so, are we willing to pay the price to act?

Further, are we willing to pay the price of inaction?

[Yeah but for how long? they are a growing country with a lot of surplus cash coming in. Aiding a country is not nearly the same as attacking us. Russia would be very afraid to go to war with us if it came down to that. Being dissuaded is an entirely different animal.

The situation will always be dymamic. At the end of WW-II when our military technology was similiar to that of Germany, Japan, Russia and Britain, we outpaced them with our national manufacturing capability, and being the first nation with nukes.

Our current direction is to draw down our investment in our army, and to spend more on our navy and air force.

Are you familiar with the concept of Full Spectrum Domination?

While we can be very aggressive but we rather go the peaceful route first.

Behind every banker and businessman is the threat of invasion.