Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

9 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I tried watching the wire a few different times now . I get 3 or 4 episodes in and lose interest . I’ve heard it’s the best so I’ll probably try again . 

I did that as well. Then, I decided to give it a full season, and it was well worth it. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

I did that as well. Then, I decided to give it a full season, and it was well worth it. 

It's a pretty typical HBO show in that regard, much like GOT.  I feel like HBO's style of writing has a lot of shows start off slow which sometimes makes them hard to get into at first.  The Wire is definitely a series worth watching though.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Is there anyone else who has seen Dark yet? Again, watch it in German. Excellent show 

I've started it twice, following your advise previously about watching it in German.  Turns out I have some ADHD or something.  I get 20-30 minutes in, get distracted and miss 10 minutes and realize I have no idea what was said because I don't understand nearly as much German as I thought I did. 

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Edited by sho

Been watching The Tudors lately. Made it through season one, on about s2ep2 now. Really enjoying it but I tend to like pre 1700's stuff. I like that the basis of it seems to be very historically accurate even though I'm guessing much of what is portrayed is overly dramatized and maybe not so accurate. And being an HBO series there is a fair amount of...ahem...extracurriculars. Not necessarily a draw on it's own but I think it fits in well with the time period and the story of Henry VIII.  Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell from GoT) plays Anne Boleyn so even if you don't really like the story... Anyway I'd recommend trying it.

Correction, it is a Showtime series.

Edited by Comfortably Numb
  • Plus1 1
On 2/6/2018 at 8:49 AM, knapplc said:

We're two episodes into Anne with an E, on Netflix. It's Anne of Green Gables, which I never read as a kid.

I think this would have a pretty limited interest group, probably not something a majority of people on this board would like. It's cute, but on the fringe of what I'm interested in.

I enjoyed Anne of Green Gables, but it's probably more in my wheelhouse than most here given my gender and that I've previously read the book and seen the mini-series from the 80s several times.

On 2/6/2018 at 5:12 PM, Comfortably Numb said:

Been watching The Tudors lately. Made it through season one, on about s2ep2 now. Really enjoying it but I tend to like pre 1700's stuff. I like that the basis of it seems to be very historically accurate even though I'm guessing much of what is portrayed is overly dramatized and maybe not so accurate. And being an HBO series there is a fair amount of...ahem...extracurriculars. Not necessarily a draw on it's own but I think it fits in well with the time period and the story of Henry VIII.  Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell from GoT) plays Anne Boleyn so even if you don't really like the story... Anyway I'd recommend trying it.

You ever watch "The Borgias"?   I thought it was awesome.  Loosely based on historical fact.  There's also a series called "Borgias" about the same family.  Both series have been on Netflix in the past.  Not sure if currently available.   

41 minutes ago, NUance said:

You ever watch "The Borgias"?   I thought it was awesome.  Loosely based on historical fact.  There's also a series called "Borgias" about the same family.  Both series have been on Netflix in the past.  Not sure if currently available.   

I have not seen the Borgias. Ive also heard that it's good from others. May have to try it after the Tudors and the Olympics. I love the winter Olympics.

One of these days I need to get back to my Star Trek project. Just haven't been in the mood to tackle the original series again yet. I loved those old ones but nowadays they seem a bit dated and I have trouble staying awake through them.

25 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

One of these days I need to get back to my Star Trek project. Just haven't been in the mood to tackle the original series again yet. I loved those old ones but nowadays they seem a bit dated and I have trouble staying awake through them.

I'll bet you'd like the Black Mirror "USS Callister" episode (season 4).  It's about a Trekky.  It stars Jessie Plemons, the guy who played the ginger Todd on Breaking Bad. 

2 hours ago, NUance said:

I'll bet you'd like the Black Mirror "USS Callister" episode (season 4).  It's about a Trekky.  It stars Jessie Plemons, the guy who played the ginger Todd on Breaking Bad. 

I saw that one (and the whole Black Mirror series). That was a little different episode for sure. And thanks :thumbs, I knew that guy looked familiar but I never connected him to BB until now. 

Battle for Sevastopol ..... Good movie (subtitle) despite lacking Hollywood's special effects.  But I loved this soundtrack.  Anyway, I like real story behind Lyudmila Pavlichenko life.  She was a sniper expertise.

Used to be NetFlix but dropped a couple of months ago.  Maybe Hulu or Amazon ???

Edited by Hooked on Huskers
On 2/6/2018 at 6:12 PM, Comfortably Numb said:

Correction, it is a Showtime series.

I love that stuff too.  When you finish it try out The Borgias (Jeremy Irons' version), Victoria on PBS, The Queen on Netflix, and I love Reign (a moderized version of Mary Queen of Scotts).  There are a few more I'll send your way if you like.  Also Rome was excellent on HBO.

• Plus1 1