Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

On 3/19/2018 at 6:29 PM, Comfortably Numb said:

Season 2 of Santa Clarita Diet drops March 23rd. If you haven’t watched s1 yet, now is the time to take care of that.

Great show and Timmy O is probably a better comedic actor than dramatic actor and that is saying a lot.  I wonder if he has turned down a lot of movie roles because the TV/Netflix life is way better (no clue, just a thought)...if you have ever watched The Grinder, when he is a guest star on that show, he is AMAZINGLY funny.

On 3/22/2018 at 2:41 PM, Xmas32 said:

Started up Black Mirror about a week ago.  Holy geez...I feel like I need 30 minutes in between episodes to unpack what the heck I just saw.  I skipped S1E1 because literally 5 people told me to not bother watching it.  All the episodes have been pretty good so far that I've seen.  I haven't gotten into S4 or most of S3 yet.  So far White Bear and San Junipero are top top.

Other stuff I've watched/re watched...

Master of None..super clever series by Aziz Ansari that kinda focused around relationships, modern dating, etc.  Also has a kick a$$ soundtrack.

Luther...BBC crime drama from a few years ago that stars Idris Elba (Stringer Bell for those that love The Wire)  Luther plays a police detective with psychological issues.  Really good, pretty dark stuff.

Non Netflix

It's really hard to try and get into much else as I'm also watching McMafia (pretty good so far), Designated Survivor and American Greed.  Plus HBO is going to be dropping the hammer again with Silicon Valley and the new Bill Hader show 'Barry' which looks awesome.  Also...BILLIONS IS BACKKKKKK 

This is about the 10th recommendation for Black Mirror. I'm going to have to have to start that. 

I also really enjoyed Luther; Ruth Wilson was really, really good in that show, too. 

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

This is about the 10th recommendation for Black Mirror. I'm going to have to have to start that. 

I also really enjoyed Luther; Ruth Wilson was really, really good in that show, too. 

Glad to hear you enjoyed Luther.  It was one of those 'blink and you miss it' shows that showed up on AMC a few years ago after being on BBC America.  I was stoked when I stumbled upon it on Netflix a few months ago.

Black Mirror is just a really interesting show, try to think of it terms of The Twilight Zone as each episode is completely stand alone of the other (although there are a few tie ins that you'll be able to pick up).  As a friend did for me, under no circumstances should you start with the first episode of season 1.

Best advice you got was to skip the S1E1.  I almost walked away from Black Mirror after that one.  Then, I got totally sucked in.  It's a mind$uck.

And I too am digging McMafia, Barry is going to be great, Silicon Valley is ridiculously funny.  

I suggest Rise to you all if you liked Friday Night Lights, it's the same creators, and you'll see a lot of similarities (theme music, opening scenes, tone).  I am loving it.

Edited by NM11046
4 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Best advice you got was to skip the S1E1.  I almost walked away from Black Mirror after that one.  Then, I got totally sucked in.  It's a mind$uck.

And I too am digging McMafia, Barry is going to be great, Silicon Valley is ridiculously funny.  

I suggest Rise to you all if you liked Friday Night Lights, it's the same creators, and you'll see a lot of similarities (theme music, opening scenes, tone).  I am loving it.

Thanks for the rec @NM11046 IIRC that's the show with the guy who played Ted Mosby correct?

I feel like I'm drowning in shows right now.  Suits, Silicon Valley, McMafia, Designated Survivor (I know it's cliched but I'm too far gone now), Barry, Billions.  Good lord, this is bad.

Edited by Xmas32

Oh I know - thank goodness for the dvr, and a gigantic memory on it.  

I've got some medical shows in the mix too: The Good Doctor (has the vibe of House a wee bit) and The Resident.  Comitted to The Americans of course, gotta finish the series, and Trust which looks to be interesting.  Also a new show called Instinct with Alan Cummings (not sure I'll stick with this, but I like him), The Counterpart (which is excellent - on FX I think, it's JK Simmons who I'll watch in anything) and Madam Secretary.  I have a problem.  I save Billions and other Showtime shows for my long plane rides.

Oh goodness, I forgot about Trust too.  I've seen a couple episodes of The Good Doctor, interesting concept and I'll probably end up watching them all at once once it gets released to Hulu/Netflix (if it hasn't already).  I tried to get into The Resident but I find the lead actor utterly unlikable which is odd because I generally like his other stuff.  I caught a small snippet of an ad for Instinct but I'm pretty in the dark.  Counterpoint looks awesome from the ads I've seen.  Agreed wholeheartedly about JK Simmons, he is tremendous.  If you haven't seen Whiplash, definitely check it out.

On 3/19/2018 at 6:29 PM, Comfortably Numb said:

Season 2 of Santa Clarita Diet drops March 23rd. If you haven’t watched s1 yet, now is the time to take care of that.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:07 AM, teachercd said:

Great show and Timmy O is probably a better comedic actor than dramatic actor and that is saying a lot.  I wonder if he has turned down a lot of movie roles because the TV/Netflix life is way better (no clue, just a thought)...if you have ever watched The Grinder, when he is a guest star on that show, he is AMAZINGLY funny.

God I love this show.

• Plus1 1

I enjoyed real life stories, NetFlix non-fiction documentary stories.

Last year, I watched Wings of Hope (NetFlix). Made-for-TV documentary directed by Werner Herzog. The 1998 film explores and re-enact story of lone survivor ... 17 years old Juliane Koepcke.  In the film, she visit the scenes of her doomed flight and escape from the jungle.  BTW, she was unable to contact Koepcke for many years, since she shied away from any media coverage until 1998.

Spoiler

In 1971, LANSA Flight 508 commercial airliner in the middle of Amazon rain forest jungle was struck by lightning during a severe thunderstorm and broke up in mid-air.  21,000 feet altitude.  91 died including her mother who had been seated next to her.

(some wiki source). Julia fell to earth still strapped into her seat. The reason for Koepcke surviving her free-fall is unknown; however some have speculated that the row of seats she was strapped to played a crucial role by rotating like a helicopter, slowing her descent. The row may also have helped by cushioning her fall as it struck the dense forest on her way down. The cushion of her seat may have also played a small role. Over the next 19 hours, Koepcke found herself falling in and out of consciousness. At some point she managed to regain her consciousness, perhaps because of the heavy rainfall. She was wearing only a sleeveless mini-dress, and lacked her spectacles and one of her sandals. Her injuries from the fall included a broken collar bone, a torn ACL, a strained vertebra in her neck, a partially fractured shin, several deep gash on her arms and legs, and one eye was swollen shut due to popped capillaries as a result of rapid decompression of the aircraft.  Also lots of mosquito bites.

Middle of nowhere, no roads, no civilization people anywhere.  Even no tribes. She was all alone.

Her ensuing struggle to survive in the jungle was as dangerous, if not more so, than the destruction of the aircraft and her free-fall. It took her half a day to regain her ability to stand without feeling dizzy. After regaining her ability to stand and then her ability to walk, despite her legs injuries, she spent her first day in the jungle searching for her mother, Maria Koepcke. During her search she found a bag of candy, which was her only food source during her entire ordeal. After searching for her mother for a whole day, she decided to abandon her search and find rescue.

Having learned survival skills from her father, she decided to follow a creek downstream path (good move) and hopefully merge with larger stream thus maybe find civilization village.  She was aware dangerous snakes, crocodiles, piranha fish and stingrays but not scared. Having lost her spectacles in addition to the eye injury, her vision was doubly hindered. Nevertheless, she continued to 10-days travel in the knee-high water as well as on the creek steep banks.

She came across three passengers still strapped to their seats who had landed head-first into the ground. She said of the encounter:

"I couldn't really see that much, only people's feet pointing up. I poked their feet with a stick. I couldn't touch the dead bodies. I couldn't smell anything and they hadn't been eaten yet or started to decay. I mean, sure, decay must have started, but I couldn't notice it. I could tell it was a woman because she had polished toenails and the others must have been two men, judging by their pants and shoes. I moved on after a while, but in the first moment after finding them, it was like I was paralyzed."

After several days of following the creek, several of her wounds became infected, one of the larger ones becoming infested with maggots. She tried to remove maggots but unsuccessful.

On the tenth day of her ordeal she finally came across a boat. She managed to crawl up a path next to the boat, and she came across a small hut that was being used by lumbermen. Although the hut was empty at the time, she found an outboard motor and some fuel. She used a tube she found to suck out some of the fuel from the barrel and she attempted to remove the maggots by applying the diesel fuel on her wound. She reported the maggots initially tried to burrow deeper into her arm, but eventually came to the surface, and she was able to successfully pick them out.

She had been in the hut for some time, she heard voices nearby. As the voices grew nearer she saw three lumbermen come out of the forest.  After caring for her for a short time, the lumbermen took her on a seven-hour boat ride to a lumber village.

Once she arrived at the village, a local bush plane pilot volunteered to fly her to a nearby clinic run by Catholic missionary. The flight took about fifteen minutes and a day after arriving at the hospital, Koepcke saw her father again.

Myself, ten times more bravery and courage than me.  Get busy living, or get busy dying.  In documentary (1998), her voice was completely normal .... no exciting mood, calm, no tears, no feeling sorry to her.

Believe it or not, fully recovered injuries.  Still alive today.

Another movie based on Juliane Koepcke aircraft crash event, Miracles Still Happen ... low budget and b-movie.  Somewhat real.

Juliane Koepcke - 1998 documentary story. (herself).

?format=1000w

Julia Koepcke just before airplane crash (circa 1970)

juliane-koepcke.jpg&twidth=1000&theight=

1975 "Miracles Still Happen" ... low budget and b-movie.  I watched it.  Somewhat accurate.

2-215.jpg

• Plus1 1

Amazon did a season of "All or Nothing" with Michigan last year; I hadn't heard about it until I was browsing earlier this week. It's decent; I'm pretty sure Harbaugh and most of the players are playing to the camera. Not the DC, though; he lets out a string of F-bombs during halftime of their opening game against Florida last year that made me laugh in comparison to the rest of it.