Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

On 5/22/2018 at 3:59 PM, knapplc said:

I am hugely disappointed to discover the Joel McHale show on Netflix is only going to have short series.  They ended this one after 13 episodes. 

This show is the only way I stay connected to pop culture. I'm never going to actually watch the Kardashians or Jersey Shore, but since everyone talks about them it's useful to have at least a little bit of familiarity with who/what they're talking about.  Plus it's funny to watch Joel skewer these people.  I really liked The Soup, and reviving it this way was something I really looked forward to.  Imagine my horror to find out it's mostly over for a while.

Apparently they're doing a short series this summer, which is good. But this is a show which really should be on every week, like John Oliver's show.

John Oliver's show is starting to approach jumping the shark territory for me.  Every week it's the same thing over and over again and it's getting tiresome.  The only redeeming part of the show is their long form pieces that are hit or miss for me and when they do something absurd like the train set they sent to Scranton, PA.  I did enjoy last week's topic of rehab facilities although I saw an almost identical story on ESPN.com a few weeks ago that talked about the play by play announcer for the Red Wings who just lost a son to addiction after they shipped him to Florida for rehab.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/23053946/how-detroit-red-wings-ken-daniels-voice-hockeytown-lost-son-drugs-insurance-fraud-espn

/Thread Derail

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

John Oliver's show is starting to approach jumping the shark territory for me.  Every week it's the same thing over and over again and it's getting tiresome.  The only redeeming part of the show is their long form pieces that are hit or miss for me and when they do something absurd like the train set they sent to Scranton, PA.  I did enjoy last week's topic of rehab facilities although I saw an almost identical story on ESPN.com a few weeks ago that talked about the play by play announcer for the Red Wings who just lost a son to addiction after they shipped him to Florida for rehab.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/23053946/how-detroit-red-wings-ken-daniels-voice-hockeytown-lost-son-drugs-insurance-fraud-espn

/Thread Derail

John Oliver is so not funny...It is painful.  Stewart was funny with that stuff and Gregg Kinnear is still the best ever at doing that type of routine.  The rest might as well be reading que cards from the super offended crowd. 

On 2/20/2018 at 12:22 PM, sho said:

Hey @Hooked on Huskers are you able to stream those movies on your TV or are you watching on a laptop/ipad or making your TV a second monitor to your laptop?  I'm looking for a good streaming service like that, that I can use on my smart TV and not just my tablets/computers.

I only used my flatscreen TV and most of the time, desktop.  Sorry.  BTW,  I had never purchased smartphone .... I know, old as a rock.

Believe it or not, I got an Apple iPad.  Christmas gift (my daughter).  But very rare used it.  About 12 times over 18 months.  Too difficult for me .... I need a mouse.  And clumsy fingers.  You want to buy it?

Been watching Lost in Space. I think they could've done a better job with it. The one thing they got right though....I absolutely hate the villain woman (aka Dr Smith) I really want somebody, preferably the robot, to ram a fist through her face and erase that jacked up mouth she has. Not sure they had to make her that annoying and that ugly.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, NUance said:

The Mindhunter serial killer Ed Kemper is pretty damn creepy.  The real life Ed Kemper is just as creepy.  Except real.  

That guy plays that part really well. And yes, he does have a creepy vibe.

So i finished Wild Wild Country... I have to say that is easily one of my favorites. 

My thoughts- some light spoilers- 

Spoiler

I left it really asking a lot of questions. I dont want to spoil it for others but it really did make me think more about our legal system and how they have this giant ego and god forbid someone try to use the american constitution or laws to circumvent what they think is normal.

Not saying I agree with the Cult but it seems like they escalated when they were getting pushback for simply being "different".

Sheela is bat-S crazy... I dont think Bagwhan was as clean as he wanted people to think but Sheela was POWER HUNGRY.

On 2/22/2018 at 1:53 PM, GSG said:

@knapplc Have you been watching Altered Carbon? How is it?

I started Altered Carbon a few days ago. I’m really enjoying it so far. Kind of reminds me of Blade Runner but with a bit quicker pace.

Edit- Almost done with season #1 now. Have to upgrade it to excellent. Highly recommend, especially if you like Sci Fi. Can't wait for s2 and more.