NUance

Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

NUance    6,940

252584_original.jpg

season 1, episode 12: "What you need." The best episode of the Twilight Zone. IMHO.

No way, Jose. The best one is "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" starring Bill Shatner :lol:

PubTThou01.jpg

Have you seen "What you need"? If not, give it a whirl!

GSG    5,518

252584_original.jpg

season 1, episode 12: "What you need." The best episode of the Twilight Zone. IMHO.

No way, Jose. The best one is "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" starring Bill Shatner :lol:

PubTThou01.jpg

I'm sure I have. I was watching 2 or 3 episodes every night for a while.

NUance    6,940

252584_original.jpg

PubTThou01.jpg

There are so many great episodes it's hard to pick a "best" one. :lol:

El Diaco    4,538

252584_original.jpg

PubTThou01.jpg

My favorite (don't know the name of it) is the one with the spoiled little boy that nobody will say no to. If he doesn't get his way or if you don't agree with him, he'll turn you into a jack-in-the-box or some such thing.

NUance    6,940

large_3Iu1jCiWxeLJZeNczzRwMi9OWPk.jpg

Just got around to watching Defiance. Pretty good movie. Supposed to be based on a true story.

Edit: Recognize the guy to the left, above? He played Ross Rhea, the enforcer in "Goon". :lol:

MLB 51    892

252584_original.jpg

PubTThou01.jpg

My favorite (don't know the name of it) is the one with the spoiled little boy that nobody will say no to. If he doesn't get his way or if you don't agree with him, he'll turn you into a jack-in-the-box or some such thing.

"It's a good life" Episode 73. Here's a link to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkJcFGvNgcY

NUance    6,940

jason-momoa1.png?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Started watching the Netflix series "Frontier." Seems pretty good so far.

The protagonist, Declan Harp--the guy in the middle above--was Khal Drogo on GoT.

NUance    6,940

The protagonist, Declan Harp--the guy in the middle above--was Khal Drogo on GoT.

After binge watching the first five episodes, I have to say that I'm disappointed. Too many plot errors and implausible events. And the characters are cartoonish stereotypes. I had such high hopes. :hmmph:

GSG    5,518

After binge watching the first five episodes, I have to say that I'm disappointed. Too many plot errors and implausible events. And the characters are cartoonish stereotypes. I had such high hopes. :hmmph:

HAVE YOU WATCHED LOVE YET?

Love-365x512.jpg

MY GF AND I JUST REWATCHED IT. ONE OF OUR FAVES.

NUance    6,940

Love-365x512.jpg

Not yet. Might be good viewing for my wife and I. It's incredibly difficult to find any TV she likes. No GoT. No HBO series at all. Nothing that I've ever mentioned in this thread. About the only genre she'll watch is chick flick comedies.

GSG    5,518

Love-365x512.jpg

Not yet. Might be good viewing for my wife and I. It's incredibly difficult to find any TV she likes. No GoT. No HBO series at all. Nothing that I've ever mentioned in this thread. About the only genre she'll watch is chick flick comedies.

OH, WELL THIS ISN'T REALLY A TYPICAL ROM-COM TYPE SHOW. I WOULD STILL GIVE IT A TRY, AND WATCH AT LEAST 2 EPISODES. THE 1ST EPISODE IT REALLY SETTING UP THE SERIES.

GSG    5,518

What the fug?

One year after the existence of the afterlife is scientifically verified, millions around the world have ended their own lives in order to “get there”. A man and woman fall in love while coming to terms with their own tragic pasts and the true nature of the afterlife. Coming to Netflix March 31.

El Diaco    4,538

Pillars of the Earth Anyone else watch this?

I watched it a few years ago on Encore or Starz. Really liked it. Been wanting to see it again.

El Diaco    4,538

The Young Pope is a superb production, highly recommend it.

The Americans

Better Call Saul

Good Behavior

Better Call Saul is good and of course it's required viewing for Breaking Bad fans.

I can't stand The Young Pope. My wife has been watching it but I find it extremely boring and uninteresting. It seems to be well made but I just don't like it at all.

The Americans

Better Call Saul

Good Behavior

Better Call Saul is good and of course it's required viewing for Breaking Bad fans.

I can't stand The Young Pope. My wife has been watching it but I find it extremely boring and uninteresting. It seems to be well made but I just don't like it at all.

I love Saul!

I think the YP is excellent in every respect and pretty much gives an inside look into the freak show that is the Catholic Church and Vatican, of which I'm not a fan at all. I think they're all a buncha delusional cross dressing fools...and that's why I like it! Great production though, real hip music.

Americans is my fav, I love that spy stuff and kerry russell is hot!

El Diaco    4,538

The Americans

Better Call Saul

Good Behavior

I love Saul!

I think the YP is excellent in every respect and pretty much gives an inside look into the freak show that is the Catholic Church and Vatican, of which I'm not a fan at all. I think they're all a buncha delusional cross dressing fools...and that's why I like it! Great production though, real hip music.

Americans is my fav, I love that spy stuff and kerry russell is hot!

Figures.

ColoNoCoHusker    396

Call the Midwife has been a surprise. It's about a group of Nurse midwives working with Anglican Nun midwives in 1950s East-end London. This is the early days of the National Health Service (i.e. free healthcare), post-WWII rebuilding, and massive social change. My wife picked it and I was skeptical going into it; it starts off a little slow but it is very good. We are just getting into season 3 and season 6 just started in UK. Makes me want to read the memoirs on which it is based. We are streaming via PBS online subscription but also available on Amazon...

250px-Call_the_midwife_box_set_series_1-

hskerprid    118

I watched it a few years ago on Encore or Starz. Really liked it. Been wanting to see it again.

hskerprid    118

If you read the book it is excellent. The movie is a poor reenactment of the book.

Stumpy1    1,508

Just watched a documentary on Hulu called "Dirty Wars". It is about uncovering secret ops and cover-ups in the Middle East and surrounding countries. Really sheds a different light on Obama and what the President is capable of.

El Diaco    4,538

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but Narcos is a really good series on Netflix. Been semi binging that one. Very interesting fact based account of Pablo Escobar and the Medellin drug cartel.

g381g_s-200x150.gif

ScottyIce    1,646

Not sure this has been mentioned but...

Glitch

Is phenomenal. Obviously unrealistic, but I love that stuff. 6 episodes. Season 2 is this fall I believe. It's kinda along the same lines as Stranger Things.

El Diaco    4,538

Finally thought I'd give Sons of Anarchy a whirl about a week ago. Almost gave up after the first few episodes, seemed a little farfetched and I had trouble relating but then it pulled me in. Really good IMO. I'm early in season 3 and I really need to quit watching every night into the wee hours. I'm sleep deprived. It's not quite as good as Breaking Bad or Sopranos but pretty close. From some of the other comments sounds like there's a couple stinker seasons coming up but really enjoying it so far. I would sure recommend to anyone who hasn't watched it yet.

knapplc    17,830

I haven't watched Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad or the Sopranos. I should make those a priority for the rest of the year.

Enhance    3,118

Sons of Anarchy didn't really do much for me. I'd skip out on it, at least in terms of the three you mentioned. Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are probably two of the best television shows in history. Sons of Anarchy is nowhere close to being in their league.

StPaulHusker    4,558

SOA, started off really well but it gets so lame as it goes on...like so lame.

Schitt's Creek is very funny.

Schitt's Creek is great

SOA is good. But i always find myself wondering why they work so hard to be criminals. Like there is always something bad happening to them.

Breaking Bad is great television although I can't stand Walter's wife

Shameless is great

The Netflix Marvel shows are all great

Deadwood is very good. Al Swearingen is probably top 3 all time TV characters

Red Oaks is on Amazon Prime-Worth the watch if you have that

Sopranos is GOAT

Nurse Jackie is very very good.

El Diaco    4,538

I agree SOA is not in the same league as Breaking Bad or Sopranos but what I've seen, so far through s3e3 anyway, is solid entertainment. But I do see where some of the negative comments are coming from. At first I had trouble with believability and relating to the characters. Now the thing bothering me is that it is just one bad thing after the other and the whole baby kidnapping storyline is a little lame imo. Show could use a few more feel good moments.

teachercd    2,781

I agree SOA is not in the same league as Breaking Bad or Sopranos but what I've seen, so far through s3e3 anyway, is solid entertainment. But I do see where some of the negative comments are coming from. At first I had trouble with believability and relating to the characters. Now the thing bothering me is that it is just one bad thing after the other and the whole baby kidnapping storyline is a little lame imo. Show could use a few more feel good moments.

Did they go to Ireland yet? That was brutally bad.

I, like you, could not stop watching it though. There was something still entertaining about it

StPaulHusker    4,558

Did they go to Ireland yet? That was brutally bad.

I, like you, could not stop watching it though. There was something still entertaining about it

Season 3 in Ireland was meh. Season 4 got better.

teachercd    2,781

I am completely enthralled in The Blacklist. Just started the 3rd season. It's getting very good.

I liked it. I sort of stopped watching it but not for any bad reason. But I think it is a cool show.

Enhance    3,118

Now the thing bothering me is that it is just one bad thing after the other and the whole baby kidnapping storyline is a little lame imo. Show could use a few more feel good moments.

It's interesting you mention this. I listen to a gaming podcast called Mega 64 and they were having a very similar to discussion to this, about how a lot of television has strayed so far into the "everything is terrible" genre. It's just one calamity after another after another, and their hope (on the podcast) is that we're coming to end of those shows and that soon we may get back to more balanced creativity.

knapplc    17,830

In the 1980s we had this cloud of gloom overhanging all of society. We legit thought there was going to be nuclear war with the Soviet Union at any time. Reagan was all about brash talk, we heard the same thing back from the Kremlin, and overall everything was just gloomy and meh.

The entertainment of the time reflected that. LOTS of calamity movies, lots of dystopian futures, lots of scenes of destruction.

Then the 1990s hit, the Soviet Union collapsed, and everything was happy-go-lucky & more fun. Entertainment reflects life. I think we're going to continue to have calamity after calamity in movies & games until the end of the Trump era, or at least until Trump convinces everyone he's not driving us to the cliff.

knapplc    17,830

Includes the BTN, which is the biggest reason I got rid of Sling. Without BTN, it's not worth it.

Also, unlimited cloud DVR.

El Diaco    4,538

In the 1980s we had this cloud of gloom overhanging all of society. We legit thought there was going to be nuclear war with the Soviet Union at any time. Reagan was all about brash talk, we heard the same thing back from the Kremlin, and overall everything was just gloomy and meh.The entertainment of the time reflected that. LOTS of calamity movies, lots of dystopian futures, lots of scenes of destruction.Then the 1990s hit, the Soviet Union collapsed, and everything was happy-go-lucky & more fun. Entertainment reflects life. I think we're going to continue to have calamity after calamity in movies & games until the end of the Trump era, or at least until Trump convinces everyone he's not driving us to the cliff.

I agree that entertainment tends to mimic society but Trump is just beginning to register in that regard. I thought the 80's were pretty upbeat but those were my college years so it was party time for me. SOA was solidly in the Obama years. The mood has been generally down since 911. We need some more of those post iron curtain years without the ensuing financial bubbles.

StPaulHusker    4,558

I just finished a documentary series on the Irish Mob and now started one on Prohibition that can be found on Netflix. The Irish Mob one was very well done except for the last episode and I'm only through episode 1 of the Prohibition one but it was very interesting. There was a lot in there that I never knew before.

knapplc    17,830

If that's Ken Burns' Prohibition documentary, it's very very good.

knapplc    17,830

All the info he compiled about the stuff leading up to Prohibition is pretty amazing. I had no idea the scale of the drinking problem in pre-Prohibition America. And then to learn that it barely had an effect on most of the states was also news to me.

BigRedBuster    7,314

I just finished a documentary series on the Irish Mob and now started one on Prohibition that can be found on Netflix. The Irish Mob one was very well done except for the last episode and I'm only through episode 1 of the Prohibition one but it was very interesting. There was a lot in there that I never knew before.

Is it named "Irish Mob"? When I googled it, I came up with "Paddy Whacked" but I can't see where Ken Burns did it.

This stuff interests me.

StPaulHusker    4,558

Is it named "Irish Mob"? When I googled it, I came up with "Paddy Whacked" but I can't see where Ken Burns did it.

This stuff interests me.

Ken Burns did the prohibition one. It's a PBS documentary.

The Irish Mob one is literally called The Irish Mob. I know there was another called Paddywhacked, but didn't watch that one.