NUance

Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I wonder how hard it is to film something like Stranger Things...Making sure that everything "looks 80's" like the cars, the clothes, the backgrounds...It has to be time consuming...or they just someone managed to raid my closet without me knowing.  

I think I read that they even use a special filter in filming so the film matches what film looked like in the 80's.  I finished season 2 last night.  It was well done.

teachercd    3,221
10 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I think I read that they even use a special filter in filming so the film matches what film looked like in the 80's.  I finished season 2 last night.  It was well done.

Very cool.

I loved the arcade scenes.  That really brought me back.  

35 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Very cool.

It is funny, my kids were all over this series last year.  My wife and I didn't watch.  It wasn't until one of my friends said, "if you like the 80's you need to see it, " did I watch.  Glad I did.

teachercd    3,221
7 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

It is funny, my kids were all over this series last year.  My wife and I didn't watch.  It wasn't until one of my friends said, "if you like the 80's you need to see it, " did I watch.  Glad I did.

Ha!  I know!  I didn't watch it at all and people kept saying it was set in the 80s and I love the 80's

RedDenver    1,795
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Very cool.

Dragon's Lair really brought me back, especially when the kid gets mad and calls it overpriced. I remember being mad that it cost 2 quarters instead of the 1 quarter for all the other games. Man, how times have changed - arcades don't hardly exist except as specialty bars and games commonly cost $1.

Edited by RedDenver

teachercd    3,221

Dragon's Lair was amazing and you are right, we all complained at the cost of playing.  That game was so hard.  I think they made a short lived cartoon of it as well.

Enhance    3,497
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

I wonder how hard it is to film something like Stranger Things...Making sure that everything "looks 80's" like the cars, the clothes, the backgrounds...It has to be time consuming...or they just someone managed to raid my closet without me knowing.  

I think it's easier when you do it some place small, secluded and remote place like a Hawkins, Indiana. Difficult without question but easier to control the message.

The one scene in the most recent season that really impressed me was when they briefly went to a recognizable major city (I'll tag it in a spoiler below). They filmed the shots in such a way to avoid any recently built building. That or they just edited them out. Plus, modifying a major city street to look 30 years old is no small task.

Spoiler

Chicago

RedDenver    1,795
20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dragon's Lair was amazing and you are right, we all complained at the cost of playing.  That game was so hard.  I think they made a short lived cartoon of it as well.

You can now watch the entire Dragon's Lair game through to the end on YouTube, and even all the death scenes.

teachercd    3,221
4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You can now watch the entire Dragon's Lair game through to the end on YouTube, and even all the death scenes.

I just did that!

B.B. Hemingway    2,324
5 hours ago, teachercd said:

I always wondered that about Mad Men too.... 

GSG    5,897

I DON'T WANT TO DERAIL THE THREAD BUT JUMP TO 2:20 OF THIS VIDEO:

Comfortably Numb    5,061
17 hours ago, GSG said:

I DON'T WANT TO DERAIL THE THREAD BUT JUMP TO 2:20 OF THIS VIDEO:

Wow. I wouldn't have pegged him for being able to do that.

Well I finished Star Trek Enterprise and needed a break from the Sci Fi so I watched Ozark. Sort of binged the last 5 or 6 episodes today since I was sick and being useless anyway. Really good series. Reminds me of Breaking Bad with a little American Beauty tossed in. IMO it's a bit darker than BB and it took a few episodes to really draw me in. I'd highly recommend.

Trying to convince the wife and daughter to watch Stranger Things because I want to see it again and they're stuck on those darned Hallmark Christmas movies. Really getting old you guise.

Dilly Dilly    493
On 10/18/2017 at 0:49 PM, ScottyIce said:

Oh my lanta.

Mindhunters anyone!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Good series!  Haven't finished it yet, but love it so far.

Also watched Mindhunter over the long turkey day weekend. Really liked it. Sort of a Silence of the Lambs vibe with a little True Detective s1....yet fairly unique and not the typical characters.  As others have said the pacing seemed off and there were a few slogs but I liked it because you can’t really guess what’s coming next and a couple things that really catch you off guard and leave you feeling a tad strange. Definitely worth a watch.

MLB 51    1,002
28 minutes ago, sho said:

anyone watch Punisher yet?  Live up to the hype I'm hearing?

I think it does. I'm only 5 episodes in, but I'm really liking it.

Final episode.  Sons of Anarchy series was better than Breaking Bad IMO.  However I still can't handle "Peggy Bundy" actress as Gemma's character.  Most of the time, antagonist.  Katey Sagal will always be Mrs Bundy!   BTW, she was pretty good singer .... a few SOA background sound episodes performed by Ms. Sagal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtAOPC8Obw

Oh ....... I pictured ancient Harley Davidson rider and Husker fans chasing Riley's motorcycle. :D

Edited by Hooked on Huskers

Cdog923    1,255
On 11/27/2017 at 9:16 PM, sho said:

anyone watch Punisher yet?  Live up to the hype I'm hearing?

It was far better than I thought it would be. Better than Iron Fist, the second halves of Luke Cage and Daredevil S2, and better in a lot of ways than The Defenders. 

Edited by Cdog923

sho    104
8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

It was far better than I thought it would be. Better than Iron Fist, the second halves of Luke Cage and Daredevil S2, and better in a lot of ways than The Defenders. 

Huh, guess I'm an anomaly, I actually liked all of those.  Granted S1 of Daredevil and Jessica Jones were better, but I've been entertained with all of these shows.   Far more than Agents of SHIELD.

We are finishing Mindhunters before going over to Punisher.

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Punisher = Garbage.  Charles Bronson Death Wish 5.  And a lot of miscast.  Right off the bat, funny ....... demolition tool ...... sledge hammer!  Just use jackhammer; 1000 times faster at least.

Cdog923    1,255
9 hours ago, sho said:

Huh, guess I'm an anomaly, I actually liked all of those.  Granted S1 of Daredevil and Jessica Jones were better, but I've been entertained with all of these shows.   Far more than Agents of SHIELD.

We are finishing Mindhunters before going over to Punisher.

I liked them too, but they're the weaker parts of the Marvel Netflix offerings, IMO. 

On 11/28/2017 at 9:42 PM, Hooked on Huskers said:

Final episode.  Sons of Anarchy series was better than Breaking Bad IMO.  However I still can't handle "Peggy Bundy" actress as Gemma's character.  Most of the time, antagonist.  Katey Sagal will always be Mrs Bundy!   BTW, she was pretty good singer .... a few SOA background sound episodes performed by Ms. Sagal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtAOPC8Obw

Oh ....... I pictured ancient Harley Davidson rider and Husker fans chasing Riley's motorcycle. :D

You do know the purpose of the spoiler tags....don’t you? I know what happens but there might be some folks who haven’t got there yet. Not cool posting that video IMO.

Edited by Comfortably Numb

2 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

You do know the purpose of the spoiler tags....don’t you? I know what happens but there might be some folks who haven’t got there yet. Not cool posting that video IMO.

Some folks ....... just don't click on SOA video.

Oh by the way, better hurry.  On January 1st 2018, NetFlix lineup will be discontinued (SOA).  And the last episode was 3 years ago.

krc1995    698

Watching The Keepers

Making a Murderer it's not.  The story is actually more riveting but the filming is not.  

NM11046    2,042

I liked it far better than Making a Muderer.

Made me even more convinced that my Catholicism is a thing of the way, way, way past. 

Excel    1,172

Watching Shot in the Dark. It's about independent journalists competing to cover events at night in LA. They sit in their cars with police scanners and wait for accidents, shootings, crazy stuff, and then race across town to record it all and try to beat one another in selling the footage to local TV stations. It's kind of cool, I'm enjoying it.

krc1995    698
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

I liked it far better than Making a Muderer.

Made me even more convinced that my Catholicism is a thing of the way, way, way past. 

Don't  throw the baby out with the bath water.  God wasn't responsible, people were.  

MLB 51    1,002
2 hours ago, Excel said:

Watching Shot in the Dark. It's about independent journalists competing to cover events at night in LA. They sit in their cars with police scanners and wait for accidents, shootings, crazy stuff, and then race across town to record it all and try to beat one another in selling the footage to local TV stations. It's kind of cool, I'm enjoying it.

You should watch the movie "Nightcrawler." 

NM11046    2,042
2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Don't  throw the baby out with the bath water.  God wasn't responsible, people were.  

And the catholic church has shown itself to be a fantastic institution of enabling on a number of issues.  

Excel    1,172
29 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

You should watch the movie "Nightcrawler." 

lol, you're the second person to tell me that. Watched it last night. It was really good!

Cdog923    1,255

Season 2 of The Grand Tour is out Friday on Amazon, for you car enthusiasts. Although, to be fair, the Top Gear guys stopped focusing on cars a long time ago.