• You cannot reply to this topic
1020 replies to this topic

#851 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:52 PM

220px-Battle_of_Myeongryang_poster.jpg

Watched "The Admiral: Roaring Currents". It's pretty good.   Based on a true story about one of the greatest naval battles ever fought.  Korean Admiral Yi with 12 ships goes up against the Japanese navy of 330 ships in 1597.  LINK

It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then winter came and the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
walkforchildren2014_small.jpg

#852 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:01 PM

Is anyone else out there a fan of British comedy?  I feel like I'm the only one who enjoys it.

Anyway, if anyone likes Ricky Gervais and his famous 'mockumentary' style of television, then I highly recommend his 2012 Netflix series 'Derek.'

It's a somewhat simple comedy series with some bits of heavy, dramatic moments mixed in.  I found myself in tears a few times over the course of the first series.

Derek was pretty good. My favorite British show is French and Saunders but they still don't have a digital version of it and I loaned my dvds to someone like 10 years ago.

#853 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,149 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:16 AM

hqdefault.jpg

Been watching the "Roman Empire: Reign of Blood" series.  It's the story of Commodus, son of Marcus Aurelius. Commodus was the Joaquin Phoenix character in the movie Gladiator.  

The format of this series is quite unique.  It's like half documentary and half historical fiction series.  Every so often the cut the acting and switch to one of a handful of professors who explain the context.     :thumbs:

It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then winter came and the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

#854 dvdcrr

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

Best current streaming movies? Anyone?

#855 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,149 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

252584_original.jpg

season 1, episode 12:  "What you need."  The best episode of the Twilight Zone.  IMHO. 

#856 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,836 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

252584_original.jpg

season 1, episode 12:  "What you need."  The best episode of the Twilight Zone.  IMHO. 

No way, Jose. The best one is "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" starring Bill Shatner :lol:

PubTThou01.jpg

2wroncj.jpg#RunTheDamnBall  2wrfc5h.jpg

EAT THE RICH

#857 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,149 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

Best current streaming movies? Anyone?

On Netflx right now: 

Animal House

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Caddyshack

The Big Short

E.T.

The Graduate

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off 

Little Boy

Jaws

Braveheart

To Kill a Mockingbird

Swingers

The Princess Bride

The Hustler

Clerks

The Shining 

#858 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,149 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

252584_original.jpg

No way, Jose. The best one is "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" starring Bill Shatner :lol:

PubTThou01.jpg

Have you seen "What you need"?  If not, give it a whirl!

#859 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,836 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

252584_original.jpg

PubTThou01.jpg

I'm sure I have. I was watching 2 or 3 episodes every night for a while.

EAT THE RICH

#860 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,149 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

252584_original.jpg

PubTThou01.jpg

There are so many great episodes it's hard to pick a "best" one.  :lol:

#861 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 7,958 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

252584_original.jpg

PubTThou01.jpg

There are so many great episodes it's hard to pick a "best" one.  :lol:

My favorite (don't know the name of it) is the one with the spoiled little boy that nobody will say no to. If he doesn't get his way or if you don't agree with him, he'll turn you into a jack-in-the-box or some such thing.
post-130-0-71012400-1485562235.png

BC- HANDLING THE HARD STUFF FOR HUSKERBOARD!
Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while... you don't do the right thing once in a while...you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit.-Vince Lombardi

#862 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,149 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

large_3Iu1jCiWxeLJZeNczzRwMi9OWPk.jpg

Just got around to watching Defiance.  Pretty good movie.  Supposed to be based on a true story.  

Edit:  Recognize the guy to the left, above?  He played Ross Rhea, the enforcer in "Goon".  :lol:

#863 MLB 51

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,165 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

252584_original.jpg

PubTThou01.jpg

There are so many great episodes it's hard to pick a "best" one.   :lol:

My favorite (don't know the name of it) is the one with the spoiled little boy that nobody will say no to. If he doesn't get his way or if you don't agree with him, he'll turn you into a jack-in-the-box or some such thing.

"It's a good life" Episode 73.  Here's a link to it.

http://youtu.be/AkJcFGvNgcY

1x1clear.gif1x1clear.gifHBHockey_zps3ff84fc3.png

download-icon.png

#864 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,149 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

jason-momoa1.png?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Started watching the Netflix series "Frontier."   Seems pretty good so far.  

The protagonist, Declan Harp--the guy in the middle above--was Khal Drogo on GoT. 

#865 NM11046

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:57 AM

I just put this on my list - glad to hear it's a potentially good one.  I love me some Jason Momoa.

"Red is always popular in Nebraska."

cZtDFbg.png

#866 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,836 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

New Netflix show coming next month:

EAT THE RICH

#867 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,149 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

The protagonist, Declan Harp--the guy in the middle above--was Khal Drogo on GoT. 

After binge watching the first five episodes, I have to say that I'm disappointed.  Too many plot errors and implausible events.  And the characters are cartoonish stereotypes.  I had such high hopes. :hmmph:

#868 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,836 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

After binge watching the first five episodes, I have to say that I'm disappointed.  Too many plot errors and implausible events.  And the characters are cartoonish stereotypes.  I had such high hopes. :hmmph:

HAVE YOU WATCHED LOVE YET?

Love-365x512.jpg

MY GF AND I JUST REWATCHED IT. ONE OF OUR FAVES.

EAT THE RICH

#869 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 23,149 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

Love-365x512.jpg

Not yet.  Might be good viewing for my wife and I.  It's incredibly difficult to find any TV she likes.  No GoT.  No HBO series at all.  Nothing that I've ever mentioned in this thread.  About the only genre she'll watch is chick flick comedies.   

#870 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,836 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

Love-365x512.jpg

Not yet.  Might be good viewing for my wife and I.  It's incredibly difficult to find any TV she likes.  No GoT.  No HBO series at all.  Nothing that I've ever mentioned in this thread.  About the only genre she'll watch is chick flick comedies.   

OH, WELL THIS ISN'T REALLY A TYPICAL ROM-COM TYPE SHOW. I WOULD STILL GIVE IT A TRY, AND WATCH AT LEAST 2 EPISODES. THE 1ST EPISODE IT REALLY SETTING UP THE SERIES.

EAT THE RICH

#871 Hooked on Huskers

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:08 AM

Stay away from Bonnie and Clyde movie (2013).  Inaccurate big time ...... I hated it.  At least B&C (1967 version) was somewhat accurate.

LINK:  2011 thru 2020 HUSKER SCHEDULES, STANDINGS, LINES, RANKINGS AND RESULTS
Husker Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane -- Ellis "Red" Redding (Shawshank)

#872 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,836 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

What the fug?

One year after the existence of the afterlife is scientifically verified, millions around the world have ended their own lives in order to “get there”. A man and woman fall in love while coming to terms with their own tragic pasts and the true nature of the afterlife. Coming to Netflix March 31.

EAT THE RICH

#873 MLB 51

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,165 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:07 AM

Pillars of the Earth   Anyone else watch this?

https://youtube/pU3bUJroGNg

1x1clear.gif1x1clear.gifHBHockey_zps3ff84fc3.png

download-icon.png

#874 The Big Nebrowski

Travel Squad

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:11 PM

The Young Pope is a superb production, highly recommend it.

The Americans

Better Call Saul

Good Behavior
"Shut the f#*k up, Donny!"

#875 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 7,958 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

I watched it a few years ago on Encore or Starz. Really liked it. Been wanting to see it again.

Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while... you don't do the right thing once in a while...you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit.-Vince Lombardi

#876 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 7,958 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:13 PM

The Americans
Better Call Saul
Good Behavior

Better Call Saul is good and of course it's required viewing for Breaking Bad fans.

I can't stand The Young Pope. My wife has been watching it but I find it extremely boring and uninteresting. It seems to be well made but I just don't like it at all.

#877 The Big Nebrowski

Travel Squad

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:04 AM

The Americans
Better Call Saul
Good Behavior

Better Call Saul is good and of course it's required viewing for Breaking Bad fans.

I can't stand The Young Pope. My wife has been watching it but I find it extremely boring and uninteresting. It seems to be well made but I just don't like it at all.
I love Saul!

I think the YP is excellent in every respect and pretty much gives an inside look into the freak show that is the Catholic Church and Vatican, of which I'm not a fan at all. I think they're all a buncha delusional cross dressing fools...and that's why I like it! Great production though, real hip music.

Americans is my fav, I love that spy stuff and kerry russell is hot!
"Shut the f#*k up, Donny!"

#878 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 7,958 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

The Americans
Better Call Saul
Good Behavior

I love Saul!

I think the YP is excellent in every respect and pretty much gives an inside look into the freak show that is the Catholic Church and Vatican, of which I'm not a fan at all. I think they're all a buncha delusional cross dressing fools...and that's why I like it! Great production though, real hip music.

Americans is my fav, I love that spy stuff and kerry russell is hot!

Figures.

#879 ColoNoCoHusker

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:30 PM

Call the Midwife has been a surprise. It's about a group of Nurse midwives working with Anglican Nun midwives in 1950s East-end London. This is the early days of the National Health Service (i.e. free healthcare), post-WWII rebuilding, and massive social change. My wife picked it and I was skeptical going into it; it starts off a little slow but it is very good. We are just getting into season 3 and season 6 just started in UK. Makes me want to read the memoirs on which it is based. We are streaming via PBS online subscription but also available on Amazon...

250px-Call_the_midwife_box_set_series_1-

#880 hskerprid

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

I watched it a few years ago on Encore or Starz. Really liked it. Been wanting to see it again.

#881 hskerprid

All American

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:38 AM

If you read the book it is excellent. The movie is a poor reenactment of the book.

#882 Stumpy1

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

Just watched a documentary on Hulu called "Dirty Wars".  It is about uncovering secret ops and cover-ups in the Middle East and surrounding countries.  Really sheds a different light on Obama and what the President is capable of.

Instead you just go around like a 4 year old who discovered that his dick is capable of pissing in places other than his pants or the toilet. - ZRod

It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. - George Burns

#883 Nebfanatic

All American

• Members
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:41 AM

Saw it mentioned once but Bates Motel is a show I enjoy. Shameless is another one I like to watch on Netflix

#884 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 7,958 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but Narcos is a really good series on Netflix. Been semi binging that one. Very interesting fact based account of Pablo Escobar and the Medellin drug cartel.

g381g_s-200x150.gif

#885 MattyIce

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

Not sure this has been mentioned but...

Glitch

Is phenomenal. Obviously unrealistic, but I love that stuff. 6 episodes. Season 2 is this fall I believe. It's kinda along the same lines as Stranger Things.

B22RlEW.png xH7aV6l.png

#886 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 7,958 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

Finally thought I'd give Sons of Anarchy a whirl about a week ago. Almost gave up after the first few episodes, seemed a little farfetched and I had trouble relating but then it pulled me in. Really good IMO. I'm early in season 3 and I really need to quit watching every night into the wee hours. I'm sleep deprived. It's not quite as good as Breaking Bad or Sopranos but pretty close. From some of the other comments sounds like there's a couple stinker seasons coming up but really enjoying it so far. I would sure recommend to anyone who hasn't watched it yet.

#887 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,319 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:04 AM

I haven't watched Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad or the Sopranos.  I should make those a priority for the rest of the year.

clEdF.png

The failure to condemn is necessarily the act to condone.

#888 Enhance89

Legend

• Members
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:30 AM

Sons of Anarchy didn't really do much for me.  I'd skip out on it, at least in terms of the three you mentioned.  Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are probably two of the best television shows in history.  Sons of Anarchy is nowhere close to being in their league.

fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#889 teachercd

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

SOA, started off really well but it gets so lame as it goes on...like so lame.

Schitt's Creek is very funny.

Gotta love the PPC

#890 StPaulHusker

Legend

• Members
  • 11,662 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

SOA, started off really well but it gets so lame as it goes on...like so lame.

Schitt's Creek is very funny.

Schitt's Creek is great

SOA is good.  But i always find myself wondering why they work so hard to be criminals.  Like there is always something bad happening to them.

Breaking Bad is great television although I can't stand Walter's wife

Shameless is great

The Netflix Marvel shows are all great

Deadwood is very good.  Al Swearingen is probably top 3 all time TV characters

Red Oaks is on Amazon Prime-Worth the watch if you have that

Sopranos is GOAT

Nurse Jackie is very very good.

c7U8vFB.png       sIg8nr1.png        Vsx5CoZ.png      QUyYgF4.png

#891 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 7,958 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:47 AM

I agree SOA is not in the same league as Breaking Bad or Sopranos but what I've seen, so far through s3e3 anyway, is solid entertainment. But I do see where some of the negative comments are coming from. At first I had trouble with believability and relating to the characters. Now the thing bothering me is that it is just one bad thing after the other and the whole baby kidnapping storyline is a little lame imo. Show could use a few more feel good moments.

#892 teachercd

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

I agree SOA is not in the same league as Breaking Bad or Sopranos but what I've seen, so far through s3e3 anyway, is solid entertainment. But I do see where some of the negative comments are coming from. At first I had trouble with believability and relating to the characters. Now the thing bothering me is that it is just one bad thing after the other and the whole baby kidnapping storyline is a little lame imo. Show could use a few more feel good moments.

Did they go to Ireland yet?  That was brutally bad.

I, like you, could not stop watching it though.  There was something still entertaining about it

Gotta love the PPC

#893 StPaulHusker

Legend

• Members
  • 11,662 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:27 AM

Did they go to Ireland yet?  That was brutally bad.

I, like you, could not stop watching it though.  There was something still entertaining about it

Season 3 in Ireland was meh.  Season 4 got better. 

c7U8vFB.png       sIg8nr1.png        Vsx5CoZ.png      QUyYgF4.png

#894 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 18,024 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

I am completely enthralled in The Blacklist.  Just started the 3rd season.  It's getting very good.

"Argument turns too easily into animosity.  Disagreement escalates into dehumanization.  Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

George Bush

#895 teachercd

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

I am completely enthralled in The Blacklist.  Just started the 3rd season.  It's getting very good.

I liked it.  I sort of stopped watching it but not for any bad reason.  But I think it is a cool show.

Gotta love the PPC

#896 Enhance89

Legend

• Members
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:45 AM

Now the thing bothering me is that it is just one bad thing after the other and the whole baby kidnapping storyline is a little lame imo. Show could use a few more feel good moments.

It's interesting you mention this.  I listen to a gaming podcast called Mega 64 and they were having a very similar to discussion to this, about how a lot of television has strayed so far into the "everything is terrible" genre.  It's just one calamity after another after another, and their hope (on the podcast) is that we're coming to end of those shows and that soon we may get back to more balanced creativity.

fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#897 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,319 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

In the 1980s we had this cloud of gloom overhanging all of society. We legit thought there was going to be nuclear war with the Soviet Union at any time. Reagan was all about brash talk, we heard the same thing back from the Kremlin, and overall everything was just gloomy and meh.

The entertainment of the time reflected that. LOTS of calamity movies, lots of dystopian futures, lots of scenes of destruction.

Then the 1990s hit, the Soviet Union collapsed, and everything was happy-go-lucky & more fun. Entertainment reflects life. I think we're going to continue to have calamity after calamity in movies & games until the end of the Trump era, or at least until Trump convinces everyone he's not driving us to the cliff.

clEdF.png

#898 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,319 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

Includes the BTN, which is the biggest reason I got rid of Sling. Without BTN, it's not worth it.

Also, unlimited cloud DVR.

https://twitter.com/PhillyD/status/836682357184737280

clEdF.png

#899 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,869 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

knapp's was too small for me to see.   :o

C5x91kEU4AAIIVo.jpg

bKzWyb.jpgI7yKkp.jpgelgfqt.jpg

#900 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 18,024 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

Trump must have picked the news channels.

"Argument turns too easily into animosity.  Disagreement escalates into dehumanization.  Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

George Bush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users