Nebraska Baseball 2012 Schedule

The talent on this team could be under rated if you are basing it on past performance. The 2009 recruiting class was rated #13 and the 2010 class was #15 by one source yet the on field results were poor. I think the prior coaches had no clue on how to motivate and coach up players and the enviroment caused them to just shut down as the season progressed. It might be like the football defense that Pelini turned around with virtually the same players from the Callahan era. This weekend should be interesting.

• Fire 1

Bucky, you and the rest of the Wisconsinites (is that a word?) are welcome to join Husker Nation in rooting for the Big Red in Big 10 baseball... Not suggesting you jump on the husker bandwagon in sports the Wisconsin Red games in but lets be honest, Red is Red and by any definition, hard to ignore. So.. come on Whisky red, join the Husker red baseball bandwagon!!

Ah sure why not, I'll jump on the bandwagon. NU will be my Big Ten Baseball team.

• Fire 3

Damn Title IX and its killing of Wisconsin Baseball.

Bucky, you and the rest of the Wisconsinites (is that a word?) are welcome to join Husker Nation in rooting for the Big Red in Big 10 baseball... Not suggesting you jump on the husker bandwagon in sports the Wisconsin Red games in but lets be honest, Red is Red and by any definition, hard to ignore. So.. come on Whisky red, join the Husker red baseball bandwagon!!

As for the husker baseball season. When I reflect back on the optimism that existed at the start of last season I find myself asking why their should be less this season. The truth as I see it, the sker's are better conditioned with a better pitching coach, a returning former sker's defensive stud now coaching his philosophies to our young studs and a head coach that can light a fire under the seat of even the strongest of skeptics. I see the sker's winning no less then 44 games this year. I see Erstad as being the Big's coach of the year. I see Silva staying for 3 years at most as the sker's program is his final stepping stone to a head coaching position and before his departure, I see him as becoming the biggest factor in rejuvenating a pitching staff that has talent but lacked confidence.

I dare anyone to tell me why my projections are to high. Why?

• Given the schedule Erstad inherited (one that he isn't at all happy with)
  • the new attitude that is rather obvious through interviews the media has shared
  • the leaving it all on the field competition that has chased a couple players (ex: Logan)
  • the coaching staff's records at every location they've coached
  • and finally, this years motto "back to the ballpark"

I am totally amped for the season and find myself begging for more media insight. Seriously can't understand why the media hasn't taken this opportunity to gain more readers, viewers, followers?

Huskers will rule 2012 and our former sker's (now coaches, all of them) homecoming will be a huge success.

No less than 44.....really? Explain PLEASE. Unless you are counting post-season play, I have no idea where you are getting this number.. The UNK game does not count as a win. That puts us at 55 games in the regular season. While we are not playing a tough schedule by any stretch of the imagination, 44-11 is a number that is going to be really hard to reach in the first year of a new regime in a new conference. I see us as having at least 6 losses before we even start conference play. Do you really think we lose 5 or less in conference? While I agree that Silva is a WAY better pitching coach and that Bolt will be helpful. While Erstad has the right "mentality" it simply isn't enough to win that many games the way I see it. Hopefully I'm wrong and you're right, I'd love to say that come May, just don't really see it happening.

honestly, I think 6 losses before conference is to high...

I think we go 2-1 vs the Zags

I think at worst we go 2-2 with Cal (@ home, I expect us to go 3-1)

Same with La Tech, 2-2 worst case, home series, I expect us to go 3-1

as for the rest of the noncoference, I can't see anyone on the schedule that we shouldn't feel confident going in. Maybe 1 loss in either of the two tourney's but I'll be slightly disappointed if we do lose.

Tell me why you see 6 losses when the two opponents that pose the best threat are both warm weather teams coming north to game with us in our ballpark? If our coaches and players go into either of those series with expectations of simply splitting the 4 games then it will be a very, VERY long season for sure. Something tells be however that our coaches and players "expect" to win "every" home series and the midweek games.. Therefore, when seeing the "home" series games if we win all, that means at worst we accumulate 7 losses, I don't see us losing every road series (4 total) so.. at worst lets say we have 6 road losses, add in a loss to Creighton and another to K State.. thats 15 losses in the worst case scenario.

My reason for 44 wins..

all home series wins (sweeping 2, Iowa, Minnesota and/or Illinois), my concern is Cal St. Bakersfield <scary team that plays anybody, anywhere, any time>

3 road series wins (sweeping 2, Northwestern and Indiana)

and.. yes, hosting a regional as well :)

There, I called my shots anyone else have courage to do so?

I love your boldness hacker, I do however think that Kstate COULD be tougher, and Creighton always is tough but it seems like NU has their number in most years. I agree Bakersfield is going to be tough but also a fun series. I think that could be a really good measuring stick for this porgram. Now I am also going to agree with Havoc on the fact that i dont think attitude and gritty toughness will just get you wins, i think it keeps you in alot of games and maybe the ball bounces your way when it normally wouldnt have and squeak out a couple of wins that way. Either way im stoked for this fri and for the season to get rolling. I think this would have been a really sad year with the way the football season ended and Coach (cough)anderwatson were still here. At least there is alot of excitement around the program and something to get FB off the mind.

honestly, I think 6 losses before conference is to high...

I think we go 2-1 vs the Zags

I think at worst we go 2-2 with Cal (@ home, I expect us to go 3-1)

Same with La Tech, 2-2 worst case, home series, I expect us to go 3-1

as for the rest of the noncoference, I can't see anyone on the schedule that we shouldn't feel confident going in. Maybe 1 loss in either of the two tourney's but I'll be slightly disappointed if we do lose.

Tell me why you see 6 losses when the two opponents that pose the best threat are both warm weather teams coming north to game with us in our ballpark? If our coaches and players go into either of those series with expectations of simply splitting the 4 games then it will be a very, VERY long season for sure. Something tells be however that our coaches and players "expect" to win "every" home series and the midweek games.. Therefore, when seeing the "home" series games if we win all, that means at worst we accumulate 7 losses, I don't see us losing every road series (4 total) so.. at worst lets say we have 6 road losses, add in a loss to Creighton and another to K State.. thats 15 losses in the worst case scenario.

My reason for 44 wins..

all home series wins (sweeping 2, Iowa, Minnesota and/or Illinois), my concern is Cal St. Bakersfield <scary team that plays anybody, anywhere, any time>

3 road series wins (sweeping 2, Northwestern and Indiana)

and.. yes, hosting a regional as well :)

There, I called my shots anyone else have courage to do so?

At best, I think we win 2 this weekend. There is one loss. I think we lose 1 in both Corpus Christi and 1 in Minneapolis, that adds up to 3. Split with Cal, 5 and 3-1 vs La Tech, that's 6. With only those 6 losses, that includes 2 wins at Gonzaga, a win vs KSU and a 2-game sweep of Northern Colorado. I understand, those may not be "bold" predictions by any stretch of the imagination, just how I see them falling.

We will NOT host a regional unless we win we win 46.

Dunno, Huskerswrkhavoc--what's funny about the NCAA is that they like to make money (or break even) hosting these events, and Nebraska is one of the few schools who has either been revenue generating or revenue neutral with their baseball team. That extends to hosting regionals as well, as Lincoln turns out *very* well for any and all regional action.

If Nebraska is anywhere north of 40 and comes in first or second in the Big 10 (either season, Tourney, or both), I'd say we're a lock for a regional.

And people may give Illinois a bit more credit after the damage they did last year, and some of that credit may extend to the conference as a whole. Granted, we're not going to see six teams make the tourney, but it is feasible and realistic to see three make it out of the Big 10 (from Michigan, Nebraska, Michigan State, Illinois).