Game Review
55NebraskavsFresno State19
September 13, 2014 | 9:30 PM | CBS Sports Network
Game Preview
Nebraskavs.Miami
A warm welcome to our visiting Hurricanes fans!
September 20, 2014 | 7:00 PM | ESPN2
A Huskerboard Cause: Walk for Children
- - - - -

Another reason Nebraska needs Div I Hockey

• You cannot reply to this topic
111 replies to this topic

#1 HSKR

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

http://journalstar.c...d5fe0e1b8b.html

Just imagine 90K+ in Memorial Stadium in January Watching Nebraska and Michigan play.

#2 akita

Blackshirt

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

I was thinking about this the other day as the penn st basketball team was destroying the huskers. The problem is I think UNO is div 1 and had a decent run a few years back. But dang I know the semi pro team does well. But can you imagine selling tickets for 5 dollars and filling the stadium. Especially on Saturdays. But how do you just start a hockey team?

#3 NUance

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,108 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

Hockey would be a HUGE hit in Lincoln. IF we could put a competitive team on the ice. The thing is, I don't think we could ever beat teams like Michigan, Minnesota or Wisconsin. Ever.
Just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came. And the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
Posted Image

#4 Foppa

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hockey would be a HUGE hit in Lincoln. IF we could put a competitive team on the ice. The thing is, I don't think we could ever beat teams like Michigan, Minnesota or Wisconsin. Ever.

That is such crap. It takes time, of course. But there are a LOT of hockey players out there. Look at all the good ones that have played for the Stars and Lancers. Rome wasn't built in a day. Unfortunately, T.O. will never let Rome be built. He is VERY anti-hockey.
"I don't apologize for what I've done, I don't apologize to you, I don't apologize to anybody." Bo Pelini 11-29-2013
"I apologize for reacting emotionally yesterday and for showing frustration both with the game officials and the media." Bo Pelini 11-30-2013

#5 matthew_m_g

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

That is such crap. It takes time, of course. But there are a LOT of hockey players out there. Look at all the good ones that have played for the Stars and Lancers. Rome wasn't built in a day. Unfortunately, T.O. will never let Rome be built. He is VERY anti-hockey.

People have said it's because T.O. doesn't want to add another women's sport to the list (Title IX and all), which is why we don't have hockey...

...but it's bull****. There's Div-1A Women's hockey as well. It's just a matter of funding the sport for equipment, coaches, and scholarships. I would think that DoNU could strike a deal to play where the Lincoln Stars play hockey to save money and see how it takes off...

A Texas Tech fan asked me "Since Beebe is gone, will you come back to the Big XII?" I replied, "Why would we move back to the slums just because the slumlord was fired?"

aeNQg8W_700b_v1.jpg

#6 Omaha-Husker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

People have said it's because T.O. doesn't want to add another women's sport to the list (Title IX and all), which is why we don't have hockey...

...but it's bull****. There's Div-1A Women's hockey as well. It's just a matter of funding the sport for equipment, coaches, and scholarships. I would think that DoNU could strike a deal to play where the Lincoln Stars play hockey to save money and see how it takes off...

Well hockey is the second most expensive sport behind football.

There is no way they could play at the ice box and be a successful program. I also thought I remembered reading the new arena wont have ice? I could be wrong on that though. Even if it does there would be a lot of scheduling troubles with mens and womens basketball an mens and (hypothetically)womens hockey.

It could be done, but it will probably take a MASSIVE donation like it did at Penn St.

#7 NUance

Legend

• Members
  • 16,108 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

There is no way they could play at the ice box and be a successful program. I also thought I remembered reading the new arena wont have ice? I could be wrong on that though. Even if it does there would be a lot of scheduling troubles with mens and womens basketball an mens and (hypothetically)womens hockey.

It could be done, but it will probably take a MASSIVE donation like it did at Penn St.

Aside from facilities, look at the hurdle we would face with talent. Heck, we can't even build a basketball program. One reason is that it's hard to attract out of state talent when we don't have a winning tradition in place. And there are relatively fewer hockey players in Nebraska than basketball players. Like almost none.
Just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came. And the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
Posted Image

#8 Omaha-Husker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Aside from facilities, look at the hurdle we would face with talent. Heck, we can't even build a basketball program. One reason is that it's hard to attract out of state talent when we don't have a winning tradition in place. And there are relatively fewer hockey players in Nebraska than basketball players. Like almost none.

Another good point. UNO has zero native Nebraskans and only 3 that played USHL in Nebraska.

#9 Hoosker

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

I would definitely get more into hockey if UNL picked it up....that's for sure.

#10 HSKR

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Another good point. UNO has zero native Nebraskans and only 3 that played USHL in Nebraska.

Local talent means absolutely jack in college hockey. North Dakota has ONE player from the state, ONE and he played for Tri-City.
http://en.wikipedia....en's_ice_hockey

Even the states that are big high school hockey states like MN and should have a local talent advantage, they have SIX guys that played for Omaha.
http://en.wikipedia....en's_ice_hockey

There is no way I buy that excuse that you couldn't have a successful program. UNO no doubt hasn't been a barn burner in college hockey but they still aren't far off from a .500 program and that's stinking UNO. With the money that the Nebraska athletic dept has, there is no reason we couldn't do better. Even more positive is it appears the athletic dept is finally pulling it's head out and getting the basketball programs pointed in the the right direction to become successful. If we could turn the basketball program into a winning program and as importantly a money making program in the next few years, it would be much easier to add a sport like ice hockey, but none of it will happen until TO retires.

#11 Po Belini

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,537 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Local talent means absolutely jack in college hockey. North Dakota has ONE player from the state, ONE and he played for Tri-City.
http://en.wikipedia....%27s_ice_hockey

Even the states that are big high school hockey states like MN and should have a local talent advantage, they have SIX guys that played for Omaha.

There is no way I buy that excuse that you couldn't have a successful program. UNO no doubt hasn't been a barn burner in college hockey but they still aren't far off from a .500 program and that's stinking UNO. With the money that the Nebraska athletic dept has, there is no reason we couldn't do better. Even more positive is it appears the athletic dept is finally pulling it's head out and getting the basketball programs pointed in the the right direction to become successful. If we could turn the basketball program into a winning program and as importantly a money making program in the next few years, it would be much easier to add a sport like ice hockey, but none of it will happen until TO retires.

Stinking UNO? UNO has been a top 25 hockey team for quite a few years now. This year isn't their greatest, but they aren't bad. They split with Wiscy (there you go Nuance, they can be beat) and they split with the #1 team in the nation, Minnesota Duluth. That is pretty good if you ask me.

Can't wait for next weekend when Minnesota comes to town!
2011: Offensive Tackle 2012:Posted Image 2013:Posted Image

#12 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

The athletic department will never add it unless we can actually make a profit from it. Sorry to say it, folks, but our football and volleyball teams are the only ones close to making a profit. Hockey would be a financial black hole imo.

Posted Image

#13 HSKR

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

Stinking UNO? UNO has been a top 25 hockey team for quite a few years now. This year isn't their greatest, but they aren't bad. They split with Wiscy (there you go Nuance, they can be beat) and they split with the #1 team in the nation, Minnesota Duluth. That is pretty good if you ask me.

Can't wait for next weekend when Minnesota comes to town!

I guess the "stinking" part was directed more at the athletic dept as a whole (e.g. how's the football team looking?) more the the hockey with the point being if UNO can do it, Nebraska should be able to do it much better.

#14 HSKR

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

The athletic department will never add it unless we can actually make a profit from it. Sorry to say it, folks, but our football and volleyball teams are the only ones close to making a profit. Hockey would be a financial black hole imo.

In the immediate future I absolutely agree but in the long term there is no reason we shouldn't be able to make it at a minimum pay for itself. After football, priority number one right now is obviously to get the men's bball program headed in the right direction. After that the idea of hockey could gain some serious interest. Once again I will say it, if UNO can do it, there is no reason Nebraska can't.

#15 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

In the immediate future I absolutely agree but in the long term there is no reason we shouldn't be able to make it at a minimum pay for itself. After football, priority number one right now is obviously to get the men's bball program headed in the right direction. After that the idea of hockey could gain some serious interest. Once again I will say it, if UNO can do it, there is no reason Nebraska can't.

Does UNO make money off their hockey program? If not, are they even close? The question isn't whether or not we can, but whether or not we should.

Posted Image

#16 Omaha-Husker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

Does UNO make money off their hockey program? If not, are they even close? The question isn't whether or not we can, but whether or not we should.

UNO just started breaking even last season. Thy signed a really crappy deal with the arena downtown and are paying more per game than Creighton is for their basketball games. Rumor has it the new deal next year will be much better for UNO and they will be making enough money to support the rest of the athletic department a bit.

#17 matthew_m_g

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

UNO just started breaking even last season. Thy signed a really crappy deal with the arena downtown and are paying more per game than Creighton is for their basketball games. Rumor has it the new deal next year will be much better for UNO and they will be making enough money to support the rest of the athletic department a bit.

That's what is so funny about all of the outrage directed at the UNO AD's office and Trev Alberts with the recent program cuts--from what I read on the subject, had this deal been negotiated better, that UNO fans would had been able to keep their wrestling program and that keeping the football program would had been in the realm of possibility as well.

So the UNO fans' outrage is more or less, what, seven or eight years tardy and directed towards the wrong person?

Well, at least they got the office right.

A Texas Tech fan asked me "Since Beebe is gone, will you come back to the Big XII?" I replied, "Why would we move back to the slums just because the slumlord was fired?"

aeNQg8W_700b_v1.jpg

#18 HuskerFanChuck

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

This is a link to the Golden Gophers head coach Lucia talking about the possibility of a Huskers hockey team:

http://minnesota.cbs...-sid-and-dave/#

It's at about the six minute mark. Hat tip to my friends over at mavpuck.com for the link.

I think it'll be interesting to see if the dollars would be there for a hockey team. I think it would have the potential to be a great draw, and could be a good thing for hockey in Nebraska. But it would have to be done right, and would likely include bringing in a name hockey coach to kickstart the thing. I think Nebraska has the ability to do it right.

Pinnacle Bank Arena does have a hockey configuration that sets for about 12.5 K. The boxes are being sold per year for all events, so I would have to think if hockey were to be played there, it would include a cut of those boxes as well.

Landlord, can you link me any dollars regarding revenue for the different teams? I thought I had heard a couple different places that the bball team, even with the numbers being down, still produced revenue. I had thought I had heard the breakeven number being a low as between 5-6 K but I could be wrong on that.

Baseball's numbers will be back, and they were revenue producing when the Huskers were selling Haymarket out. I had heard that season tickets were selling much stronger this year, and the interest is much higher, but again, that's just the rumblings I've been hearing.

Also, with the Breslow ice sheets going in over by Haymarket Park, the possibility is there for a ready-made practice facility for a UNL Division I hockey team. The club team will be playing its home games at those ice sheets, if I recall correctly.

I think it'd be exciting, and would have a readymade intrastate rivalry, and a readymade conference. Just have to wait to see if it can be made into a reality. The easy fix for Title IX would be to start mens and womens teams at the same time, and likely wouldn't cost an enormous amount extra, at least in equipment. It's fun to imagine. Next few years will be full of such speculation, I would guess.
Nebraska D-I sports fan! Huskers first, then Jays and Mavs! Excited to see the conference jumps for both the Huskers and the Mavericks!

Please take a gander at my new blog, if you have the time! Notes and suggestions welcome. Crazy Corn, Bull, and Bird House

Lil Red.jpg

#19 HSKR

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

This is a link to the Golden Gophers head coach Lucia talking about the possibility of a Huskers hockey team:

http://minnesota.cbs...-sid-and-dave/#

It's at about the six minute mark. Hat tip to my friends over at mavpuck.com for the link.

I think it'll be interesting to see if the dollars would be there for a hockey team. I think it would have the potential to be a great draw, and could be a good thing for hockey in Nebraska. But it would have to be done right, and would likely include bringing in a name hockey coach to kickstart the thing. I think Nebraska has the ability to do it right.

Pinnacle Bank Arena does have a hockey configuration that sets for about 12.5 K. The boxes are being sold per year for all events, so I would have to think if hockey were to be played there, it would include a cut of those boxes as well.

Landlord, can you link me any dollars regarding revenue for the different teams? I thought I had heard a couple different places that the bball team, even with the numbers being down, still produced revenue. I had thought I had heard the breakeven number being a low as between 5-6 K but I could be wrong on that.

Baseball's numbers will be back, and they were revenue producing when the Huskers were selling Haymarket out. I had heard that season tickets were selling much stronger this year, and the interest is much higher, but again, that's just the rumblings I've been hearing.

Also, with the Breslow ice sheets going in over by Haymarket Park, the possibility is there for a ready-made practice facility for a UNL Division I hockey team. The club team will be playing its home games at those ice sheets, if I recall correctly.

I think it'd be exciting, and would have a readymade intrastate rivalry, and a readymade conference. Just have to wait to see if it can be made into a reality. The easy fix for Title IX would be to start mens and womens teams at the same time, and likely wouldn't cost an enormous amount extra, at least in equipment. It's fun to imagine. Next few years will be full of such speculation, I would guess.

Good find on the interview. With effort the BIG could have the "SEC" of hockey conferences, but they still need more teams. I don't see why Nebraska wouldn't want to be a part of that. I'm glad you brought up the practice facility as well. It's been put on hold a while but sounds as if they are going to try to get it going once again. Don't forget the big donor money going into that either. If we get the arena and the practice facility, then more big donor money could show up to get hockey started. Hockey is expensive which is why it wouldn't surprise me that if we do get men's hockey, we don't get women's. Instead I could see the university starting a couple of cheaper women's sports to fulfill title IX, see women's bowling and rifle team for examples.

As for moneymakers, I would need to look it up but I thought as of right now, football is the only sport making a profit. Basketball has in the past but not when you are filling half of the Bob. I don't even think volleyball makes money which is part of the reason they are moving to the Bob, to sell more tickets.

#20 huskerjock

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

Lets just get rid of Basketball and add Hockey instead......nobody cares about Basketball.

#21 scarletNcream

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

You have no idea what the sport of hockey is about. The Mav's have played in the frozen 4 you moron and lost to (what team on a contraversal ending). If you start a thread know what your talking about. UNL cut too many mens sports to start another. Gymnastics and swimming really. I'll take UNO hockey over Nebrasketball anytime. Headed in the right direction, really?

#22 HSKR

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

You have no idea what the sport of hockey is about. The Mav's have played in the frozen 4 you moron and lost to (what team on a contraversal ending). If you start a thread know what your talking about. UNL cut too many mens sports to start another. Gymnastics and swimming really. I'll take UNO hockey over Nebrasketball anytime. Headed in the right direction, really?

You are telling me I have no idea what hockey is about, calling me a moron all while telling me the Mav's played in the frozen four? LOL!

#23 scarletNcream

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

You are telling me I have no idea what hockey is about, calling me a moron all while telling me the Mav's played in the frozen four? LOL!

Sorry, left my account open and my son thought he would post something, He has been delt with.

#24 Foppa

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

It's kind of unfortunate, but one thing I think would be a make-or-break for UNL Hockey? Beer sales. If they played in the new arena, it'd be a possibility, but T.O. and the Athletic dept. would never allow it. I understand you don't need alcohol to enjoy sporting events, but it always seems to be big with hockey. I used to live 5 blocks from Denver University, and we'd walk to the games and drink beer at Magness Arena, because it was allowed there. I would've went anyway, I love hockey and DU has a great program, but I'm sure there are many who wouldn't bother if they couldn't have a beer on a friday or saturday night while watching hockey. Call it denial, but is it a coincidence how packed all the downtown bars are before and after Husker football games?
"I don't apologize for what I've done, I don't apologize to you, I don't apologize to anybody." Bo Pelini 11-29-2013
"I apologize for reacting emotionally yesterday and for showing frustration both with the game officials and the media." Bo Pelini 11-30-2013

#25 HSKR

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Sorry, left my account open and my son thought he would post something, He has been delt with.

Hey, no problemo. :)

#26 HSKR

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

It's kind of unfortunate, but one thing I think would be a make-or-break for UNL Hockey? Beer sales. If they played in the new arena, it'd be a possibility, but T.O. and the Athletic dept. would never allow it. I understand you don't need alcohol to enjoy sporting events, but it always seems to be big with hockey. I used to live 5 blocks from Denver University, and we'd walk to the games and drink beer at Magness Arena, because it was allowed there. I would've went anyway, I love hockey and DU has a great program, but I'm sure there are many who wouldn't bother if they couldn't have a beer on a friday or saturday night while watching hockey. Call it denial, but is it a coincidence how packed all the downtown bars are before and after Husker football games?

Don't tell that to Creighton fan! They get a little sensitive on that issue. Beer sales will never ever happen as long as TO is AD, of course neither will Hockey so they go hand in hand. The fact that it is off campus does open up the chance that someday there could be beer sales. Now you have me wondering about the suites in the new arena. I'm guessing since they are private that the alcohol will be flowing during Husker hoops games much like they are during football games in the skyboxes? Oops, did I say that outloud? :o

#27 funhusker

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

plus 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (you get the picture)

#28 JJHusker1

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

But Lincoln would be a warm weather locale in the hockey world. Given the choice between Fargo, Duluth, or Lincoln, we might've identified a recruiting war where we have at least an environmental advantage. I would love to see the Huskers add hockey but it would probably be a long road to compete with the likes of Michigan, Minny, Wiscy, etc. I don't see a plethora of local talent and it will take a number of years before quality recruits would think NU would be the place to go to advance their hockey career. College hockey is a little different than a sport like college football in that it doesn't necessarily require the large D1 school to succeed. Look at places like DU, Colorado College, Bemidji, etc. It is a lot more program dependent than it is school dependent.

#29 matthew_m_g

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

That's a good point about OoS talent...if anything, UNO and UNL would need to reach out to the Class A and B high schools to see how difficult it would be to develop high school hockey programs to alleviate this.

I wouldn't think it would be *that* difficult for Lincoln and Omaha schools, but your Hastings/GI/Kearney/Lexington schools would have problems, I would think. Then again, I'm sure some of the schools in Montana and Wyoming that offer hockey would have tips on how to do it on the cheap and have a successful program...

aeNQg8W_700b_v1.jpg

#30 HSKR

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

That's a good point about OoS talent...if anything, UNO and UNL would need to reach out to the Class A and B high schools to see how difficult it would be to develop high school hockey programs to alleviate this.

I wouldn't think it would be *that* difficult for Lincoln and Omaha schools, but your Hastings/GI/Kearney/Lexington schools would have problems, I would think. Then again, I'm sure some of the schools in Montana and Wyoming that offer hockey would have tips on how to do it on the cheap and have a successful program...

The problems is it costs money to have ice and have ice for all those schools. They can't just share one place. It would have to be as or more expensive then football would be. Good luck trying to tell school districts they need to build hockey facilities with the tight budgets they have already. The reason states like MN can do it is because is a part of their history and culture that has been established for a long time. They are never going to take it away. It would be like asking TX to quit playing HS football. We do have the Junior Stars and Junior Lancers but that is only two. I'm not sure how you could ever get six or more teams in Lincoln going and 20+ in Omaha without some serious upgrades in facilities. I'd love to see it but just don't see it.

#31 Wolvie3758

Scout Team

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

REAL Big 10 universities have Hockey

#32 HuskerFanChuck

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

A couple things:

1. There was this interesting note in Sipple's column on Sunday regarding the b-ball team:

*Osborne last spring gave Sadler a contract extension and basically doubled the coach's buyout. If Sadler is fired without cause, Nebraska would owe him $66,667 per month until his contract expires in June of 2016. (Yes, the cushy landing is worth repeating).
I'm told the buyout wouldn't be a financial strain at all for the athletic department. Let's just say the department is in excellent shape financially.

It doesn't sound like the finances would be a huge barrier. I think the figures I saw thrown around show the highest priced programs cost $3.5-4M a year, but I think you could build a good, solid contender at even $2.5-3M a year, and from the sounds of this, I think we'd have that to spend. I think we definitely have it if the B1G builds another or a few more networks to showcase more sports on.

2. I agree that local talent means almost nil. If the program was here, and you got a good recruiter in, the HS system here won't make the difference, recruiting in places like MN, and having some type of repoire with a few USHL teams and HS teams in hockey rich states would make a world of difference v. needing the HSs to start their own system. Not saying that wouldn't be a goal to develop as you went along... and certainly the Lancers, Stars, and Mavericks have helped to build awareness and desire to play hockey in at least the Eastern part of the state. The Lincoln Hockey Association has been teaching kids to play hockey at the Ice Box basically since it's opened, and you're starting to see some of the fruits of that in kids going into Junior hockey from this area.

Still, will be interesting to see if anything comes about with this. I really would love to see an interview or a few questions with TO regarding the topic.
Nebraska D-I sports fan! Huskers first, then Jays and Mavs! Excited to see the conference jumps for both the Huskers and the Mavericks!

Please take a gander at my new blog, if you have the time! Notes and suggestions welcome. Crazy Corn, Bull, and Bird House

Lil Red.jpg

#33 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,507 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

There's a Title IX angle to consider. If you add a Hockey team, what female sport are you going to add, and what will that cost? We've already got inexpensive female sports in Bowling, Rifle and Soccer (also Swim/Dive doesn't seem that costly once the facilities are paid for), so to add Hockey you're going to have to add an equal amount of female athletes, and the most-readily available sports that would be relatively inexpensive are already taken up.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#34 HuskerFanChuck

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Aye, knapp. The best option I've been able to come up with on this is to add women's hockey at the same time. My hunch is that there would be several parts of operations that could be shared between the programs, to cut down the cost of adding both. That would be my assumption if they were going to add hockey would be to add both programs at the same time, to alleviate that concern right off the bat. But you're right, that's the additional piece to factor in to all of this.

Lil Red.jpg

#35 husker_99

Assistant Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

There's a Title IX angle to consider. If you add a Hockey team, what female sport are you going to add, and what will that cost? We've already got inexpensive female sports in Bowling, Rifle and Soccer (also Swim/Dive doesn't seem that costly once the facilities are paid for), so to add Hockey you're going to have to add an equal amount of female athletes, and the most-readily available sports that would be relatively inexpensive are already taken up.

roller derby. Just play it on the basketball court since the men's basketball team is so bad that very few would care.

If it's not a college sport start it as one.

#36 RedRedJarvisRedwhine

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

It's been said before but I guess I have to say it again for this poster! You can't recruit top notch athletes to Lincoln Nebraska!! Like it or not our cold and snowy winters affect the recruits decision! OH WAIT THIS IS FOR HOCKEY???...... My bad!

#37 Micheal

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

People keep mentioning the the Stars and Lancers. Let's not forget that in Kearney you have the Tri-City Storm. With that in mind you have a hockey arena in Kearney, also would be pretty easy to put one in the Heartland Events Center in Grand Island. So at least could field high school hockey teams in Kearney, Grand Island, Lincoln and Omaha. In Omaha and Lincoln would definitely have to work with multiple arenas but. Cost for equipment would be the big issue.
Posted Image

#38 matthew_m_g

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Already was address, Knapplc:

...but it's bull****. There's Div-1A Women's hockey as well. It's just a matter of funding the sport for equipment, coaches, and scholarships.

Women's hockey is an Olympic sport, and schools in the Big 10 have both women's and men's hockey teams.

Just need a donor--we know there's a conference to join, and our kids will get TV exposure. It's just a matter of getting seed money to kickstart both the women's and men's programs.

People keep mentioning the the Stars and Lancers. Let's not forget that in Kearney you have the Tri-City Storm. With that in mind you have a hockey arena in Kearney, also would be pretty easy to put one in the Heartland Events Center in Grand Island. So at least could field high school hockey teams in Kearney, Grand Island, Lincoln and Omaha. In Omaha and Lincoln would definitely have to work with multiple arenas but. Cost for equipment would be the big issue.

Good point!--didn't know about this, but it makes sense. Don't know about Kearney (or Hastings, or Lex) using the GI center, but there are a couple of high schools in GI, yes? Pair them up with schools in Lincoln and Omaha that want to play, and I'm sure we could cobble enough schools together to form a high school league.

aeNQg8W_700b_v1.jpg

#39 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,507 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Already was address, Knapplc:

My bad - I should have written that it wasn't considered by someone who isn't on my Blocked User list. Sorry about that. ;)

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#40 Foppa

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

There's a 'Blocked User' option? So THAT'S why no one ever responds to me! ;)

I'd also have to say women's hockey. U.S. has a good women's team, and although I know nothing about what kind of talent a women's team could bring to Nebraska, it probably makes the most sense.

#41 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,507 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

There's a 'Blocked User' option? So THAT'S why no one ever responds to me! ;)

There is, but I'm not sure how to use it since the Board software switched. Having Mod duties I really can't block anyone.

Errr.... except for matthew. Yeah. I've blocked him. That's the ticket.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#42 wags

Scout Team

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

the best part of doNU adding hockey would be buying husker hockey sweaters.

#43 Blackshirt316

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

Actually the Title IX considerations aren't that tough.

If Nebraska were to add a Mens Ice Hockey team, they could add Womens Field Hockey at the same time.

Field Hockey isn't that expensive to maintain and 7 Big Ten Schools already compete in the conference in that sport. (Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa, Indiana and Northwestern) Nebraska could make it an eve

Womens Field Hockey can offer 12 scholarships each year and Mens Ice Hockey can offer 18. That is close enough in number to cover Title IX..

#44 matthew_m_g

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

If Nebraska were to add a Mens Ice Hockey team, they could add Womens Field Hockey at the same time.

Field Hockey isn't that expensive to maintain and 7 Big Ten Schools already compete in the conference in that sport. (Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa, Indiana and Northwestern) Nebraska could make it an eve

Womens Field Hockey can offer 12 scholarships each year and Mens Ice Hockey can offer 18. That is close enough in number to cover Title IX..

Why go with Women's Field Hockey when DoNU could add Women's Collegiate ice hockey, offer the exact same number of scholarships, and not have to worry about Title IX. Plus, Women's ice hockey is an Olympic sport, just like Field Hockey, and can use the same facilities as the Men's Ice Hockey (should DoNU get it).

aeNQg8W_700b_v1.jpg

#45 Blackshirt316

All American

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Why go with Women's Field Hockey when DoNU could add Women's Collegiate ice hockey, offer the exact same number of scholarships, and not have to worry about Title IX. Plus, Women's ice hockey is an Olympic sport, just like Field Hockey, and can use the same facilities as the Men's Ice Hockey (should DoNU get it).

Because neither Womens Hockey team would come close to drawing a profit and a Field Hockey team is FAR, FAR cheaper to maintain as a program than Ice Hockey. From Equipment and Facilities (even sharing with the men the upkeep would be doubled as would staffing for the arena) all the way down to coaches salaries, administrative resources and scholarship costs a Womens Ice Hockey team just wouldn't be anywhere near sensible on a financial level when the Big Ten already offers a Field Hockey league and Nebraska does not currently field a team in the sport.

Also Womens Ice Hockey requires 18 scholarships just like Mens Ice Hockey. You can cover Title IX with the 12 Field Hockey scholarships just fine, why add the cost of 6 more scholarships for an already more expensive sport than nessesary to fill the need?

#46 Muck

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

From Equipment and Facilities (even sharing with the men the upkeep would be doubled as would staffing for the arena) all the way down to coaches salaries, administrative resources and scholarship costs a Womens Ice Hockey team just wouldn't be anywhere near sensible on a financial level when the Big Ten already offers a Field Hockey league and Nebraska does not currently field a team in the sport.

How do you figure staffing and upkeep would be doubled by field a women's ice hockey team? What positions would need to be mirrored to facilitate a second team?
Is there a large difference in the number of coaches required by each sport to cause your claim that salaries would be much higher? Outside of the revenue sports administrative staffs are already shared across olympic athletics at major universities.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cheaper to field a field hockey team but there aren't exactly extra Zamboni drivers, facilities maintenance & janitorial staff being hired in arenas that support multiple teams.

#47 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

18 to 12 scholarships offered for guys and girls respectively is not going to fly with Title IX.

Posted Image

#48 Excel

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,846 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'd love for you guys to get a Hockey team...UW calls dibs on your first conference game.

#teamdexel

#49 Blackshirt316

All American

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

From Equipment and Facilities (even sharing with the men the upkeep would be doubled as would staffing for the arena) all the way down to coaches salaries, administrative resources and scholarship costs a Womens Ice Hockey team just wouldn't be anywhere near sensible on a financial level when the Big Ten already offers a Field Hockey league and Nebraska does not currently field a team in the sport.

How do you figure staffing and upkeep would be doubled by field a women's ice hockey team? What positions would need to be mirrored to facilitate a second team?
Is there a large difference in the number of coaches required by each sport to cause your claim that salaries would be much higher? Outside of the revenue sports administrative staffs are already shared across olympic athletics at major universities.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cheaper to field a field hockey team but there aren't exactly extra Zamboni drivers, facilities maintenance & janitorial staff being hired in arenas that support multiple teams.

You aren't nessesarily hiring more people (though in some cases it's possible they would) I'm saying you are doubling the workload and thus significantly increasing an already rising salary scale. Those support staff and arena staff (maintaninance, janitorial, security etc.) would of course work during those womens games just like they would work for Mens Hockey. - What I'm saying is that you'd be paying a lot more employees to work a womens hockey game which is comparable to staffing for a basketball game (+zamboni) as opposed to a field hockey game which is basically like staffing a womens soccer game. All of that comes into effect when talking about a new program and a budget.

As for coaching salaries, you're probably looking at paying a field hockey coach somewhere in the $80-$100k range ( The Big Ten average for womens fieldhockey coaches is $92k a year) whereas a womens ice hockey coach is probably going to be in the $150-$175k range (having trouble finding salary info for those).. (Mens Ice Hockey coaches average $365,000 a year in the Big Ten FWIW)

#50 Blackshirt316

All American

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

18 to 12 scholarships offered for guys and girls respectively is not going to fly with Title IX.

Absolutely it would. Title IX doesn't call for exact equality it calls for proportional equality based on undergraduate enrollment diversity. Considering Nebraska's enrollment diversity is roughly 54% male / 46% female, that scholarship disparity would be in line with Title IX compliance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users