Another reason Nebraska needs Div I Hockey

HSKR

From Equipment and Facilities (even sharing with the men the upkeep would be doubled as would staffing for the arena) all the way down to coaches salaries, administrative resources and scholarship costs a Womens Ice Hockey team just wouldn't be anywhere near sensible on a financial level when the Big Ten already offers a Field Hockey league and Nebraska does not currently field a team in the sport.

How do you figure staffing and upkeep would be doubled by field a women's ice hockey team? What positions would need to be mirrored to facilitate a second team?

Is there a large difference in the number of coaches required by each sport to cause your claim that salaries would be much higher? Outside of the revenue sports administrative staffs are already shared across olympic athletics at major universities.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cheaper to field a field hockey team but there aren't exactly extra Zamboni drivers, facilities maintenance & janitorial staff being hired in arenas that support multiple teams.

From Equipment and Facilities (even sharing with the men the upkeep would be doubled as would staffing for the arena) all the way down to coaches salaries, administrative resources and scholarship costs a Womens Ice Hockey team just wouldn't be anywhere near sensible on a financial level when the Big Ten already offers a Field Hockey league and Nebraska does not currently field a team in the sport.

How do you figure staffing and upkeep would be doubled by field a women's ice hockey team? What positions would need to be mirrored to facilitate a second team?

Is there a large difference in the number of coaches required by each sport to cause your claim that salaries would be much higher? Outside of the revenue sports administrative staffs are already shared across olympic athletics at major universities.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cheaper to field a field hockey team but there aren't exactly extra Zamboni drivers, facilities maintenance & janitorial staff being hired in arenas that support multiple teams.

You aren't nessesarily hiring more people (though in some cases it's possible they would) I'm saying you are doubling the workload and thus significantly increasing an already rising salary scale. Those support staff and arena staff (maintaninance, janitorial, security etc.) would of course work during those womens games just like they would work for Mens Hockey. - What I'm saying is that you'd be paying a lot more employees to work a womens hockey game which is comparable to staffing for a basketball game (+zamboni) as opposed to a field hockey game which is basically like staffing a womens soccer game. All of that comes into effect when talking about a new program and a budget.

As for coaching salaries, you're probably looking at paying a field hockey coach somewhere in the $80-$100k range ( The Big Ten average for womens fieldhockey coaches is $92k a year) whereas a womens ice hockey coach is probably going to be in the $150-$175k range (having trouble finding salary info for those).. (Mens Ice Hockey coaches average $365,000 a year in the Big Ten FWIW)

18 to 12 scholarships offered for guys and girls respectively is not going to fly with Title IX.

Absolutely it would. Title IX doesn't call for exact equality it calls for proportional equality based on undergraduate enrollment diversity. Considering Nebraska's enrollment diversity is roughly 54% male / 46% female, that scholarship disparity would be in line with Title IX compliance.

18 to 12 scholarships offered for guys and girls respectively is not going to fly with Title IX.

Absolutely it would. Title IX doesn't call for exact equality it calls for proportional equality based on undergraduate enrollment diversity. Considering Nebraska's enrollment diversity is roughly 54% male / 46% female, that scholarship disparity would be in line with Title IX compliance.

That's really our male to female undergrad ratio? Color me shocked, I had no idea. I retract my previous statement.

if this has been talked about sorry, i havnt read all the posts, but i believe the womens and mens must be equal on number of teams. So i think adding a mens team, would then force a womens team to be dropped. In any case hockey would be awesome, and i believe we are a city and fan base that could fill up a rink. Besides the new breslo is being built and that would be perfect. Get those emails sent out to the university folks.

if this has been talked about sorry, i havnt read all the posts, but i believe the womens and mens must be equal on number of teams. So i think adding a mens team, would then force a womens team to be dropped. In any case hockey would be awesome, and i believe we are a city and fan base that could fill up a rink. Besides the new breslo is being built and that would be perfect. Get those emails sent out to the university folks.

There don't need to be an equal number of teams (we already have three more women's teams than men's) - there need to be a proportionate amount of athletes based on student population ratios. For example, if the student body population is 50/50, then there needs to be an equal amount of male vs. female athletes. However, if the student body is 70% female and 30% male, then for every 30 male athletes there should be 70 female.

Yuk!!!

Those additional 40% of females won't equate to equal $$$ gained. I think it should be $$$ driven. If your male sports put 78% of the money into the athletic department then by George they should be given 78% of the scholarships. :)

Screw Title 9

The only way Title 9 helps bring $$$ into the athletic departments is if they make lingerie football an official sport. :)

You aren't nessesarily hiring more people (though in some cases it's possible they would) I'm saying you are doubling the workload and thus significantly increasing an already rising salary scale. Those support staff and arena staff (maintaninance, janitorial, security etc.) would of course work during those womens games just like they would work for Mens Hockey. - What I'm saying is that you'd be paying a lot more employees to work a womens hockey game which is comparable to staffing for a basketball game (+zamboni) as opposed to a field hockey game which is basically like staffing a womens soccer game. All of that comes into effect when talking about a new program and a budget.

As for coaching salaries, you're probably looking at paying a field hockey coach somewhere in the $80-$100k range ( The Big Ten average for womens fieldhockey coaches is $92k a year) whereas a womens ice hockey coach is probably going to be in the $150-$175k range (having trouble finding salary info for those).. (Mens Ice Hockey coaches average $365,000 a year in the Big Ten FWIW)

Thanks for doing the legwork on that.

• 4 weeks later...

Yuk!!!

Those additional 40% of females won't equate to equal $$$ gained. I think it should be $$$ driven. If your male sports put 78% of the money into the athletic department then by George they should be given 78% of the scholarships. :)

No. Just absolutely no. College sports are not supposed to be about the money, and if something like that happened there would be no women's sports at all. If you want that then go back to the 1950s.

That being said, as a female, I want there to be Hockey and Title IX can be annoying. There should be something in place to make things equal, but maybe there could be more leverage. (i.e. it makes me sad that we have women's soccer but not men's)

Yuk!!!

No. Just absolutely no. College sports are not supposed to be about the money, and if something like that happened there would be no women's sports at all. If you want that then go back to the 1950s.

That being said, as a female, I want there to be Hockey and Title IX can be annoying. There should be something in place to make things equal, but maybe there could be more leverage. (i.e. it makes me sad that we have women's soccer but not men's)

If you truly want college athletics fair you throw Title IX in the trash and have one team for each sport. One football team, basketball, hockey, soccer, track, volleyball, etc and let anyone male or female try out for the team and whoever is the best makes it. You can't make things more equal then that. If you don't like the sound of that then admit that women's sports while they can be entertaining are nothing more the charity sports to the less talented paid for by the guys.

Oh I am going to get in trouble for this one. :P

Yuk!!!

If you truly want college athletics fair you throw Title IX in the trash and have one team for each sport. One football team, basketball, hockey, soccer, track, volleyball, etc and let anyone male or female try out for the team and whoever is the best makes it. You can't make things more equal then that. If you don't like the sound of that then admit that women's sports while they can be entertaining are nothing more the charity sports to the less talented paid for by the guys.

Antoine-Dodson.png

This is like saying let's put everyone in a room, male and female, and the first ones to have babies get to live. Fair is fair, right?

How absurd can you get? Let everyone compete on one team per sport? Be serious.

Think of it this way. There's X number of dollars for sports. Why do men have more right to get those dollars than women? Because of viewership on TV? Because of butts in seats? If that's your criteria, you're going to have to reconcile the fact that, for more than half a century, women weren't allowed to play sports at many major universities, or if they were, they were relegated to club teams while the men got scholarships and official status. That's based more on our misogynistic past than any flaw in womens' athletics.

You cannot penalize women today for the mistakes of men in the past. Male-dominated school administrations, male-dominated societies set up the systems that we're using today. Without forced integration of women in major sports they would still be relegated to Home Ec and the like.

It's time to abandon these old-fashioned ideas. Let them play.

This is like saying let's put everyone in a room, male and female, and the first ones to have babies get to live. Fair is fair, right?

How absurd can you get? Let everyone compete on one team per sport? Be serious.

Think of it this way. There's X number of dollars for sports. Why do men have more right to get those dollars than women? Because of viewership on TV? Because of butts in seats? If that's your criteria, you're going to have to reconcile the fact that, for more than half a century, women weren't allowed to play sports at many major universities, or if they were, they were relegated to club teams while the men got scholarships and official status. That's based more on our misogynistic past than any flaw in womens' athletics.

You cannot penalize women today for the mistakes of men in the past. Male-dominated school administrations, male-dominated societies set up the systems that we're using today. Without forced integration of women in major sports they would still be relegated to Home Ec and the like.

It's time to abandon these old-fashioned ideas. Let them play.

I also don't believe every womens sport is charity sports for the men's programs. Although most arn't generating the revenue and have as big as a following, they are still important, and equality is key. I follow the women's programs pretty frequently and they are fun to watch too. I'd say volleyball has the biggest following and they are making decent money, and now with the move, attendence will increase. Volleyball is a women's sport i couldn't do without, and it's not just for the eye candy ;)