Another reason Nebraska needs Div I Hockey

HSKR

I was thinking about this the other day as the penn st basketball team was destroying the huskers. The problem is I think UNO is div 1 and had a decent run a few years back. But dang I know the semi pro team does well. But can you imagine selling tickets for 5 dollars and filling the stadium. Especially on Saturdays. But how do you just start a hockey team?

Hockey would be a HUGE hit in Lincoln. IF we could put a competitive team on the ice. The thing is, I don't think we could ever beat teams like Michigan, Minnesota or Wisconsin. Ever.

That is such crap. It takes time, of course. But there are a LOT of hockey players out there. Look at all the good ones that have played for the Stars and Lancers. Rome wasn't built in a day. Unfortunately, T.O. will never let Rome be built. He is VERY anti-hockey.

Hockey would be a HUGE hit in Lincoln. IF we could put a competitive team on the ice. The thing is, I don't think we could ever beat teams like Michigan, Minnesota or Wisconsin. Ever.

That is such crap. It takes time, of course. But there are a LOT of hockey players out there. Look at all the good ones that have played for the Stars and Lancers. Rome wasn't built in a day. Unfortunately, T.O. will never let Rome be built. He is VERY anti-hockey.

People have said it's because T.O. doesn't want to add another women's sport to the list (Title IX and all), which is why we don't have hockey...

...but it's bull****. There's Div-1A Women's hockey as well. It's just a matter of funding the sport for equipment, coaches, and scholarships. I would think that DoNU could strike a deal to play where the Lincoln Stars play hockey to save money and see how it takes off...

People have said it's because T.O. doesn't want to add another women's sport to the list (Title IX and all), which is why we don't have hockey...

...but it's bull****. There's Div-1A Women's hockey as well. It's just a matter of funding the sport for equipment, coaches, and scholarships. I would think that DoNU could strike a deal to play where the Lincoln Stars play hockey to save money and see how it takes off...

Well hockey is the second most expensive sport behind football.

There is no way they could play at the ice box and be a successful program. I also thought I remembered reading the new arena wont have ice? I could be wrong on that though. Even if it does there would be a lot of scheduling troubles with mens and womens basketball an mens and (hypothetically)womens hockey.

It could be done, but it will probably take a MASSIVE donation like it did at Penn St.

Well hockey is the second most expensive sport behind football.

There is no way they could play at the ice box and be a successful program. I also thought I remembered reading the new arena wont have ice? I could be wrong on that though. Even if it does there would be a lot of scheduling troubles with mens and womens basketball an mens and (hypothetically)womens hockey.

It could be done, but it will probably take a MASSIVE donation like it did at Penn St.

Aside from facilities, look at the hurdle we would face with talent. Heck, we can't even build a basketball program. One reason is that it's hard to attract out of state talent when we don't have a winning tradition in place. And there are relatively fewer hockey players in Nebraska than basketball players. Like almost none.

Aside from facilities, look at the hurdle we would face with talent. Heck, we can't even build a basketball program. One reason is that it's hard to attract out of state talent when we don't have a winning tradition in place. And there are relatively fewer hockey players in Nebraska than basketball players. Like almost none.

Another good point. UNO has zero native Nebraskans and only 3 that played USHL in Nebraska.

Another good point. UNO has zero native Nebraskans and only 3 that played USHL in Nebraska.

Local talent means absolutely jack in college hockey. North Dakota has ONE player from the state, ONE and he played for Tri-City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota_Fighting_Sioux_men%27s_ice_hockey

Even the states that are big high school hockey states like MN and should have a local talent advantage, they have SIX guys that played for Omaha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Golden_Gophers_men%27s_ice_hockey

There is no way I buy that excuse that you couldn't have a successful program. UNO no doubt hasn't been a barn burner in college hockey but they still aren't far off from a .500 program and that's stinking UNO. With the money that the Nebraska athletic dept has, there is no reason we couldn't do better. Even more positive is it appears the athletic dept is finally pulling it's head out and getting the basketball programs pointed in the the right direction to become successful. If we could turn the basketball program into a winning program and as importantly a money making program in the next few years, it would be much easier to add a sport like ice hockey, but none of it will happen until TO retires.

Local talent means absolutely jack in college hockey. North Dakota has ONE player from the state, ONE and he played for Tri-City.

http://en.wikipedia....%27s_ice_hockey

Even the states that are big high school hockey states like MN and should have a local talent advantage, they have SIX guys that played for Omaha.

There is no way I buy that excuse that you couldn't have a successful program. UNO no doubt hasn't been a barn burner in college hockey but they still aren't far off from a .500 program and that's stinking UNO. With the money that the Nebraska athletic dept has, there is no reason we couldn't do better. Even more positive is it appears the athletic dept is finally pulling it's head out and getting the basketball programs pointed in the the right direction to become successful. If we could turn the basketball program into a winning program and as importantly a money making program in the next few years, it would be much easier to add a sport like ice hockey, but none of it will happen until TO retires.

Stinking UNO? UNO has been a top 25 hockey team for quite a few years now. This year isn't their greatest, but they aren't bad. They split with Wiscy (there you go Nuance, they can be beat) and they split with the #1 team in the nation, Minnesota Duluth. That is pretty good if you ask me.

Can't wait for next weekend when Minnesota comes to town!

Stinking UNO? UNO has been a top 25 hockey team for quite a few years now. This year isn't their greatest, but they aren't bad. They split with Wiscy (there you go Nuance, they can be beat) and they split with the #1 team in the nation, Minnesota Duluth. That is pretty good if you ask me.

Can't wait for next weekend when Minnesota comes to town!

I guess the "stinking" part was directed more at the athletic dept as a whole (e.g. how's the football team looking?) more the the hockey with the point being if UNO can do it, Nebraska should be able to do it much better.

The athletic department will never add it unless we can actually make a profit from it. Sorry to say it, folks, but our football and volleyball teams are the only ones close to making a profit. Hockey would be a financial black hole imo.

In the immediate future I absolutely agree but in the long term there is no reason we shouldn't be able to make it at a minimum pay for itself. After football, priority number one right now is obviously to get the men's bball program headed in the right direction. After that the idea of hockey could gain some serious interest. Once again I will say it, if UNO can do it, there is no reason Nebraska can't.

The athletic department will never add it unless we can actually make a profit from it. Sorry to say it, folks, but our football and volleyball teams are the only ones close to making a profit. Hockey would be a financial black hole imo.

In the immediate future I absolutely agree but in the long term there is no reason we shouldn't be able to make it at a minimum pay for itself. After football, priority number one right now is obviously to get the men's bball program headed in the right direction. After that the idea of hockey could gain some serious interest. Once again I will say it, if UNO can do it, there is no reason Nebraska can't.

Does UNO make money off their hockey program? If not, are they even close? The question isn't whether or not we can, but whether or not we should.