Another reason Nebraska needs Div I Hockey

HSKR

The athletic department will never add it unless we can actually make a profit from it. Sorry to say it, folks, but our football and volleyball teams are the only ones close to making a profit. Hockey would be a financial black hole imo.

In the immediate future I absolutely agree but in the long term there is no reason we shouldn't be able to make it at a minimum pay for itself. After football, priority number one right now is obviously to get the men's bball program headed in the right direction. After that the idea of hockey could gain some serious interest. Once again I will say it, if UNO can do it, there is no reason Nebraska can't.

Does UNO make money off their hockey program? If not, are they even close? The question isn't whether or not we can, but whether or not we should.

UNO just started breaking even last season. Thy signed a really crappy deal with the arena downtown and are paying more per game than Creighton is for their basketball games. Rumor has it the new deal next year will be much better for UNO and they will be making enough money to support the rest of the athletic department a bit.

The athletic department will never add it unless we can actually make a profit from it. Sorry to say it, folks, but our football and volleyball teams are the only ones close to making a profit. Hockey would be a financial black hole imo.

In the immediate future I absolutely agree but in the long term there is no reason we shouldn't be able to make it at a minimum pay for itself. After football, priority number one right now is obviously to get the men's bball program headed in the right direction. After that the idea of hockey could gain some serious interest. Once again I will say it, if UNO can do it, there is no reason Nebraska can't.

Does UNO make money off their hockey program? If not, are they even close? The question isn't whether or not we can, but whether or not we should.

UNO just started breaking even last season. Thy signed a really crappy deal with the arena downtown and are paying more per game than Creighton is for their basketball games. Rumor has it the new deal next year will be much better for UNO and they will be making enough money to support the rest of the athletic department a bit.

That's what is so funny about all of the outrage directed at the UNO AD's office and Trev Alberts with the recent program cuts--from what I read on the subject, had this deal been negotiated better, that UNO fans would had been able to keep their wrestling program and that keeping the football program would had been in the realm of possibility as well.

So the UNO fans' outrage is more or less, what, seven or eight years tardy and directed towards the wrong person?

Well, at least they got the office right.

This is a link to the Golden Gophers head coach Lucia talking about the possibility of a Huskers hockey team:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/audio-on-demand/sports-huddle-with-sid-and-dave/#

It's at about the six minute mark. Hat tip to my friends over at mavpuck.com for the link.

I think it'll be interesting to see if the dollars would be there for a hockey team. I think it would have the potential to be a great draw, and could be a good thing for hockey in Nebraska. But it would have to be done right, and would likely include bringing in a name hockey coach to kickstart the thing. I think Nebraska has the ability to do it right.

Pinnacle Bank Arena does have a hockey configuration that sets for about 12.5 K. The boxes are being sold per year for all events, so I would have to think if hockey were to be played there, it would include a cut of those boxes as well.

Landlord, can you link me any dollars regarding revenue for the different teams? I thought I had heard a couple different places that the bball team, even with the numbers being down, still produced revenue. I had thought I had heard the breakeven number being a low as between 5-6 K but I could be wrong on that.

Baseball's numbers will be back, and they were revenue producing when the Huskers were selling Haymarket out. I had heard that season tickets were selling much stronger this year, and the interest is much higher, but again, that's just the rumblings I've been hearing.

Also, with the Breslow ice sheets going in over by Haymarket Park, the possibility is there for a ready-made practice facility for a UNL Division I hockey team. The club team will be playing its home games at those ice sheets, if I recall correctly.

I think it'd be exciting, and would have a readymade intrastate rivalry, and a readymade conference. Just have to wait to see if it can be made into a reality. The easy fix for Title IX would be to start mens and womens teams at the same time, and likely wouldn't cost an enormous amount extra, at least in equipment. It's fun to imagine. Next few years will be full of such speculation, I would guess.

This is a link to the Golden Gophers head coach Lucia talking about the possibility of a Huskers hockey team:

http://minnesota.cbs...-sid-and-dave/#

It's at about the six minute mark. Hat tip to my friends over at mavpuck.com for the link.

I think it'll be interesting to see if the dollars would be there for a hockey team. I think it would have the potential to be a great draw, and could be a good thing for hockey in Nebraska. But it would have to be done right, and would likely include bringing in a name hockey coach to kickstart the thing. I think Nebraska has the ability to do it right.

Pinnacle Bank Arena does have a hockey configuration that sets for about 12.5 K. The boxes are being sold per year for all events, so I would have to think if hockey were to be played there, it would include a cut of those boxes as well.

Landlord, can you link me any dollars regarding revenue for the different teams? I thought I had heard a couple different places that the bball team, even with the numbers being down, still produced revenue. I had thought I had heard the breakeven number being a low as between 5-6 K but I could be wrong on that.

Baseball's numbers will be back, and they were revenue producing when the Huskers were selling Haymarket out. I had heard that season tickets were selling much stronger this year, and the interest is much higher, but again, that's just the rumblings I've been hearing.

Also, with the Breslow ice sheets going in over by Haymarket Park, the possibility is there for a ready-made practice facility for a UNL Division I hockey team. The club team will be playing its home games at those ice sheets, if I recall correctly.

I think it'd be exciting, and would have a readymade intrastate rivalry, and a readymade conference. Just have to wait to see if it can be made into a reality. The easy fix for Title IX would be to start mens and womens teams at the same time, and likely wouldn't cost an enormous amount extra, at least in equipment. It's fun to imagine. Next few years will be full of such speculation, I would guess.

Good find on the interview. With effort the BIG could have the "SEC" of hockey conferences, but they still need more teams. I don't see why Nebraska wouldn't want to be a part of that. I'm glad you brought up the practice facility as well. It's been put on hold a while but sounds as if they are going to try to get it going once again. Don't forget the big donor money going into that either. If we get the arena and the practice facility, then more big donor money could show up to get hockey started. Hockey is expensive which is why it wouldn't surprise me that if we do get men's hockey, we don't get women's. Instead I could see the university starting a couple of cheaper women's sports to fulfill title IX, see women's bowling and rifle team for examples.

As for moneymakers, I would need to look it up but I thought as of right now, football is the only sport making a profit. Basketball has in the past but not when you are filling half of the Bob. I don't even think volleyball makes money which is part of the reason they are moving to the Bob, to sell more tickets.

Aside from facilities, look at the hurdle we would face with talent. Heck, we can't even build a basketball program. One reason is that it's hard to attract out of state talent when we don't have a winning tradition in place. And there are relatively fewer hockey players in Nebraska than basketball players. Like almost none.

Another good point. UNO has zero native Nebraskans and only 3 that played USHL in Nebraska.

Local talent means absolutely jack in college hockey. North Dakota has ONE player from the state, ONE and he played for Tri-City.

http://en.wikipedia....%27s_ice_hockey

Even the states that are big high school hockey states like MN and should have a local talent advantage, they have SIX guys that played for Omaha.

There is no way I buy that excuse that you couldn't have a successful program. UNO no doubt hasn't been a barn burner in college hockey but they still aren't far off from a .500 program and that's stinking UNO. With the money that the Nebraska athletic dept has, there is no reason we couldn't do better. Even more positive is it appears the athletic dept is finally pulling it's head out and getting the basketball programs pointed in the the right direction to become successful. If we could turn the basketball program into a winning program and as importantly a money making program in the next few years, it would be much easier to add a sport like ice hockey, but none of it will happen until TO retires.

You have no idea what the sport of hockey is about. The Mav's have played in the frozen 4 you moron and lost to (what team on a contraversal ending). If you start a thread know what your talking about. UNL cut too many mens sports to start another. Gymnastics and swimming really. I'll take UNO hockey over Nebrasketball anytime. Headed in the right direction, really?

Aside from facilities, look at the hurdle we would face with talent. Heck, we can't even build a basketball program. One reason is that it's hard to attract out of state talent when we don't have a winning tradition in place. And there are relatively fewer hockey players in Nebraska than basketball players. Like almost none.

Another good point. UNO has zero native Nebraskans and only 3 that played USHL in Nebraska.

Local talent means absolutely jack in college hockey. North Dakota has ONE player from the state, ONE and he played for Tri-City.

Even the states that are big high school hockey states like MN and should have a local talent advantage, they have SIX guys that played for Omaha.

There is no way I buy that excuse that you couldn't have a successful program. UNO no doubt hasn't been a barn burner in college hockey but they still aren't far off from a .500 program and that's stinking UNO. With the money that the Nebraska athletic dept has, there is no reason we couldn't do better. Even more positive is it appears the athletic dept is finally pulling it's head out and getting the basketball programs pointed in the the right direction to become successful. If we could turn the basketball program into a winning program and as importantly a money making program in the next few years, it would be much easier to add a sport like ice hockey, but none of it will happen until TO retires.

You have no idea what the sport of hockey is about. The Mav's have played in the frozen 4 you moron and lost to (what team on a contraversal ending). If you start a thread know what your talking about. UNL cut too many mens sports to start another. Gymnastics and swimming really. I'll take UNO hockey over Nebrasketball anytime. Headed in the right direction, really?

You are telling me I have no idea what hockey is about, calling me a moron all while telling me the Mav's played in the frozen four? LOL!

You are telling me I have no idea what hockey is about, calling me a moron all while telling me the Mav's played in the frozen four? LOL!

Sorry, left my account open and my son thought he would post something, He has been delt with.

It's kind of unfortunate, but one thing I think would be a make-or-break for UNL Hockey? Beer sales. If they played in the new arena, it'd be a possibility, but T.O. and the Athletic dept. would never allow it. I understand you don't need alcohol to enjoy sporting events, but it always seems to be big with hockey. I used to live 5 blocks from Denver University, and we'd walk to the games and drink beer at Magness Arena, because it was allowed there. I would've went anyway, I love hockey and DU has a great program, but I'm sure there are many who wouldn't bother if they couldn't have a beer on a friday or saturday night while watching hockey. Call it denial, but is it a coincidence how packed all the downtown bars are before and after Husker football games?

It's kind of unfortunate, but one thing I think would be a make-or-break for UNL Hockey? Beer sales. If they played in the new arena, it'd be a possibility, but T.O. and the Athletic dept. would never allow it. I understand you don't need alcohol to enjoy sporting events, but it always seems to be big with hockey. I used to live 5 blocks from Denver University, and we'd walk to the games and drink beer at Magness Arena, because it was allowed there. I would've went anyway, I love hockey and DU has a great program, but I'm sure there are many who wouldn't bother if they couldn't have a beer on a friday or saturday night while watching hockey. Call it denial, but is it a coincidence how packed all the downtown bars are before and after Husker football games?

Don't tell that to Creighton fan! They get a little sensitive on that issue. Beer sales will never ever happen as long as TO is AD, of course neither will Hockey so they go hand in hand. The fact that it is off campus does open up the chance that someday there could be beer sales. Now you have me wondering about the suites in the new arena. I'm guessing since they are private that the alcohol will be flowing during Husker hoops games much like they are during football games in the skyboxes? Oops, did I say that outloud? :o

plus 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (you get the picture)

Hockey would be a HUGE hit in Lincoln. IF we could put a competitive team on the ice. The thing is, I don't think we could ever beat teams like Michigan, Minnesota or Wisconsin. Ever.

That is such crap. It takes time, of course. But there are a LOT of hockey players out there. Look at all the good ones that have played for the Stars and Lancers. Rome wasn't built in a day. Unfortunately, T.O. will never let Rome be built. He is VERY anti-hockey.

People have said it's because T.O. doesn't want to add another women's sport to the list (Title IX and all), which is why we don't have hockey...

...but it's bull****. There's Div-1A Women's hockey as well. It's just a matter of funding the sport for equipment, coaches, and scholarships. I would think that DoNU could strike a deal to play where the Lincoln Stars play hockey to save money and see how it takes off...

Well hockey is the second most expensive sport behind football.

There is no way they could play at the ice box and be a successful program. I also thought I remembered reading the new arena wont have ice? I could be wrong on that though. Even if it does there would be a lot of scheduling troubles with mens and womens basketball an mens and (hypothetically)womens hockey.

It could be done, but it will probably take a MASSIVE donation like it did at Penn St.

But Lincoln would be a warm weather locale in the hockey world. Given the choice between Fargo, Duluth, or Lincoln, we might've identified a recruiting war where we have at least an environmental advantage. I would love to see the Huskers add hockey but it would probably be a long road to compete with the likes of Michigan, Minny, Wiscy, etc. I don't see a plethora of local talent and it will take a number of years before quality recruits would think NU would be the place to go to advance their hockey career. College hockey is a little different than a sport like college football in that it doesn't necessarily require the large D1 school to succeed. Look at places like DU, Colorado College, Bemidji, etc. It is a lot more program dependent than it is school dependent.

That's a good point about OoS talent...if anything, UNO and UNL would need to reach out to the Class A and B high schools to see how difficult it would be to develop high school hockey programs to alleviate this.

I wouldn't think it would be *that* difficult for Lincoln and Omaha schools, but your Hastings/GI/Kearney/Lexington schools would have problems, I would think. Then again, I'm sure some of the schools in Montana and Wyoming that offer hockey would have tips on how to do it on the cheap and have a successful program...

That's a good point about OoS talent...if anything, UNO and UNL would need to reach out to the Class A and B high schools to see how difficult it would be to develop high school hockey programs to alleviate this.

I wouldn't think it would be *that* difficult for Lincoln and Omaha schools, but your Hastings/GI/Kearney/Lexington schools would have problems, I would think. Then again, I'm sure some of the schools in Montana and Wyoming that offer hockey would have tips on how to do it on the cheap and have a successful program...

The problems is it costs money to have ice and have ice for all those schools. They can't just share one place. It would have to be as or more expensive then football would be. Good luck trying to tell school districts they need to build hockey facilities with the tight budgets they have already. The reason states like MN can do it is because is a part of their history and culture that has been established for a long time. They are never going to take it away. It would be like asking TX to quit playing HS football. We do have the Junior Stars and Junior Lancers but that is only two. I'm not sure how you could ever get six or more teams in Lincoln going and 20+ in Omaha without some serious upgrades in facilities. I'd love to see it but just don't see it.