Another reason Nebraska needs Div I Hockey

HSKR

A couple things:

1. There was this interesting note in Sipple's column on Sunday regarding the b-ball team:

*Osborne last spring gave Sadler a contract extension and basically doubled the coach's buyout. If Sadler is fired without cause, Nebraska would owe him $66,667 per month until his contract expires in June of 2016. (Yes, the cushy landing is worth repeating).

I'm told the buyout wouldn't be a financial strain at all for the athletic department. Let's just say the department is in excellent shape financially.

It doesn't sound like the finances would be a huge barrier. I think the figures I saw thrown around show the highest priced programs cost $3.5-4M a year, but I think you could build a good, solid contender at even $2.5-3M a year, and from the sounds of this, I think we'd have that to spend. I think we definitely have it if the B1G builds another or a few more networks to showcase more sports on.

2. I agree that local talent means almost nil. If the program was here, and you got a good recruiter in, the HS system here won't make the difference, recruiting in places like MN, and having some type of repoire with a few USHL teams and HS teams in hockey rich states would make a world of difference v. needing the HSs to start their own system. Not saying that wouldn't be a goal to develop as you went along... and certainly the Lancers, Stars, and Mavericks have helped to build awareness and desire to play hockey in at least the Eastern part of the state. The Lincoln Hockey Association has been teaching kids to play hockey at the Ice Box basically since it's opened, and you're starting to see some of the fruits of that in kids going into Junior hockey from this area.

Still, will be interesting to see if anything comes about with this. I really would love to see an interview or a few questions with TO regarding the topic.

There's a Title IX angle to consider. If you add a Hockey team, what female sport are you going to add, and what will that cost? We've already got inexpensive female sports in Bowling, Rifle and Soccer (also Swim/Dive doesn't seem that costly once the facilities are paid for), so to add Hockey you're going to have to add an equal amount of female athletes, and the most-readily available sports that would be relatively inexpensive are already taken up.

Aye, knapp. The best option I've been able to come up with on this is to add women's hockey at the same time. My hunch is that there would be several parts of operations that could be shared between the programs, to cut down the cost of adding both. That would be my assumption if they were going to add hockey would be to add both programs at the same time, to alleviate that concern right off the bat. But you're right, that's the additional piece to factor in to all of this.

There's a Title IX angle to consider. If you add a Hockey team, what female sport are you going to add, and what will that cost? We've already got inexpensive female sports in Bowling, Rifle and Soccer (also Swim/Dive doesn't seem that costly once the facilities are paid for), so to add Hockey you're going to have to add an equal amount of female athletes, and the most-readily available sports that would be relatively inexpensive are already taken up.

roller derby. Just play it on the basketball court since the men's basketball team is so bad that very few would care.

If it's not a college sport start it as one.

People keep mentioning the the Stars and Lancers. Let's not forget that in Kearney you have the Tri-City Storm. With that in mind you have a hockey arena in Kearney, also would be pretty easy to put one in the Heartland Events Center in Grand Island. So at least could field high school hockey teams in Kearney, Grand Island, Lincoln and Omaha. In Omaha and Lincoln would definitely have to work with multiple arenas but. Cost for equipment would be the big issue.

• Fire 1

Already was address, Knapplc:

People have said it's because T.O. doesn't want to add another women's sport to the list (Title IX and all), which is why we don't have hockey...

...but it's bull****. There's Div-1A Women's hockey as well. It's just a matter of funding the sport for equipment, coaches, and scholarships.

Women's hockey is an Olympic sport, and schools in the Big 10 have both women's and men's hockey teams.

Just need a donor--we know there's a conference to join, and our kids will get TV exposure. It's just a matter of getting seed money to kickstart both the women's and men's programs.

People keep mentioning the the Stars and Lancers. Let's not forget that in Kearney you have the Tri-City Storm. With that in mind you have a hockey arena in Kearney, also would be pretty easy to put one in the Heartland Events Center in Grand Island. So at least could field high school hockey teams in Kearney, Grand Island, Lincoln and Omaha. In Omaha and Lincoln would definitely have to work with multiple arenas but. Cost for equipment would be the big issue.

Good point!--didn't know about this, but it makes sense. Don't know about Kearney (or Hastings, or Lex) using the GI center, but there are a couple of high schools in GI, yes? Pair them up with schools in Lincoln and Omaha that want to play, and I'm sure we could cobble enough schools together to form a high school league.

Already was address, Knapplc:

My bad - I should have written that it wasn't considered by someone who isn't on my Blocked User list. Sorry about that. ;)

There's a 'Blocked User' option? So THAT'S why no one ever responds to me! ;)

I'd also have to say women's hockey. U.S. has a good women's team, and although I know nothing about what kind of talent a women's team could bring to Nebraska, it probably makes the most sense.

There's a 'Blocked User' option? So THAT'S why no one ever responds to me! ;)

There is, but I'm not sure how to use it since the Board software switched. Having Mod duties I really can't block anyone.

Errr.... except for matthew. Yeah. I've blocked him. That's the ticket.

• 1 month later...

Actually the Title IX considerations aren't that tough.

If Nebraska were to add a Mens Ice Hockey team, they could add Womens Field Hockey at the same time.

Field Hockey isn't that expensive to maintain and 7 Big Ten Schools already compete in the conference in that sport. (Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa, Indiana and Northwestern) Nebraska could make it an eve

Womens Field Hockey can offer 12 scholarships each year and Mens Ice Hockey can offer 18. That is close enough in number to cover Title IX..

If Nebraska were to add a Mens Ice Hockey team, they could add Womens Field Hockey at the same time.

Field Hockey isn't that expensive to maintain and 7 Big Ten Schools already compete in the conference in that sport. (Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa, Indiana and Northwestern) Nebraska could make it an eve

Womens Field Hockey can offer 12 scholarships each year and Mens Ice Hockey can offer 18. That is close enough in number to cover Title IX..

Why go with Women's Field Hockey when DoNU could add Women's Collegiate ice hockey, offer the exact same number of scholarships, and not have to worry about Title IX. Plus, Women's ice hockey is an Olympic sport, just like Field Hockey, and can use the same facilities as the Men's Ice Hockey (should DoNU get it).

Why go with Women's Field Hockey when DoNU could add Women's Collegiate ice hockey, offer the exact same number of scholarships, and not have to worry about Title IX. Plus, Women's ice hockey is an Olympic sport, just like Field Hockey, and can use the same facilities as the Men's Ice Hockey (should DoNU get it).

Because neither Womens Hockey team would come close to drawing a profit and a Field Hockey team is FAR, FAR cheaper to maintain as a program than Ice Hockey. From Equipment and Facilities (even sharing with the men the upkeep would be doubled as would staffing for the arena) all the way down to coaches salaries, administrative resources and scholarship costs a Womens Ice Hockey team just wouldn't be anywhere near sensible on a financial level when the Big Ten already offers a Field Hockey league and Nebraska does not currently field a team in the sport.

Also Womens Ice Hockey requires 18 scholarships just like Mens Ice Hockey. You can cover Title IX with the 12 Field Hockey scholarships just fine, why add the cost of 6 more scholarships for an already more expensive sport than nessesary to fill the need?