A Visiting Wisconsin Fan's Inquiry

you can pay on the spot for parking and tailgating at Haymarket Baseball field.

Blackshirt and Eric the Red might even have a joint venture and have a Huskerboard Tailgate Party for this game like they did for the USC game in Lincoln. (i am sure they have had others, it was just the last one that i went to)

Thanks for all the great feedback so far- definitely appreciate it.

How's the cab situation in Lincoln? Are they pretty plentiful? How are the rates? I'm trying to decide between paying for a cheaper hotel that is further away from the action and having to take cabs back and forth or paying more and staying in a hotel that is closer to the stadium and then not having to deal with cabs if they are bad like some cities. (East Lansing was a mess ... we had to wait an hour and a half at bar time because the entire city apparently had "run out" of cabs).

Also- for tailgating at "The Res" or "The Haymarket" you can just pull in there early on gameday and park anywhere? Do you pay right then and there, or is there a pass that I have to buy ahead of time?

Huskerlambs had a good idea. Staying at a fraternity if you or any of your buddies were in a frat and they have a house on UNLs campus. What about staying at a hostel? I'm not sure if one is even in Lincoln but it might be worth looking into. Honestly I think you should stay at a hotel downtown. It is definitely going to be more expensive but the ease and convenience of being within walking distance of everything will simplify the process immensely.

Ya, don't expect to get a cab in Lincoln. Worst public tranportation system I have ever seen! If you find a room for a reasonable rate downtown, get it! You can walk to everything you will want to see and enjoy and never have to worry about driving or getting picked up. There are a few hotels away from downtown that may be able to pick you up with a courtesy van, but that's something you would definitely want to find out before paying for the room. Good luck. And don't worry, you will be treated better in Lincoln than we were in Madison.

I'd recommend the Ramada on South 14th. Bar with plenty of TV's showing sports (wouldn't call it a sports bar though) right across the parking lot, and an easy and cheap cab ride to downtown. And in reference to C N Red's post...I've used them 3 or 4 times on gameday, and never had to wait more than a half an hour. But we always wanted to go and have food and drinks downtown a few hours before the game anyway, and would call the cab from a downtown bar and have drinks after the game and wasn't in a huge rush to get home anyway, so it always seemed to work out fine. I'm sure it just depends on timing.

Sorry...not sure what I did there.

There are a few locations that will bus you to the stadium from distant lots. The one I remember is at 27th and Superior which is a large shopping center with lots of parking. I think they charge $5 for riding the bus. I'm sure there are more locations with both pros and cons others who have more recent experience can chime in on. Then you can take a bus back after the game, or stay downtown a few hours until the cabs are easier to come by.

I always recommend getting to the game a few hours early and leaving a few hours after the game. There's plenty to do both before and after and makes it less stressful than driving around in traffic when you don't know where you're going. While Lincoln is easy to get around in normally, the traffic - like most places - gets very thick as you near the stadium/campus, which can make it difficult especially if you miss a turn.

Thanks for all the great feedback so far- definitely appreciate it.

How's the cab situation in Lincoln? Are they pretty plentiful? How are the rates? I'm trying to decide between paying for a cheaper hotel that is further away from the action and having to take cabs back and forth or paying more and staying in a hotel that is closer to the stadium and then not having to deal with cabs if they are bad like some cities. (East Lansing was a mess ... we had to wait an hour and a half at bar time because the entire city apparently had "run out" of cabs).

If you go to Misty's do not go to the one downtown. They have higher prices, and most locals wont go because the quality is inconsistent as well as the service. The original is at 6235 Havelock Avenue, try that one, but if its Friday night good luck. Also they have a new south location that seems to be pretty good. De Leons is good... Great post drinking food, and cheap... If you are in the area no trip in after hours Lincoln is complete without a stop at the Hi-Way Diner, your third egg is free, and the toast is magic...

Also- for tailgating at "The Res" or "The Haymarket" you can just pull in there early on gameday and park anywhere? Do you pay right then and there, or is there a pass that I have to buy ahead of time?

They are not over blowing how bad the cabs in Lincoln are. It is horrible, I took a cab from the airport to my house last week, and it was $79 dollars. Do not think you will get a cab in this town. On a friday night when the bars close you will be waiting for hours. Depending on where you stay, and if the hotel has a shuttle you might be able to talk them into picking you up, if you have a large enough group you might be able to work something out. Also downtown hotels are crazy expensive, look at ones on a street called cornhusker, or in the south east side out town. You will be away from the action and will need some sort of DD or shuttle, at this point it may be your only option left.

The Res is prolly your best choice. If your in for a lot of drinking and college age party atmosphere. Make sure you know where the public/private line is. If you step onto public property (ie a street) you will be ticketed for open container or MIP if your under 21. The cops here go under cover looking for this (happened to our tailgate this year, guy was maybe and inch over the line). As long as you booze is closed you are fine (in a cooler etc). If you park in the north bottoms, make sure it is legal. We tailgate in that area and watch cars getting hauled out non stop.