Mediocrity

I know how disappointed I am in the current husker athletic program. At best and IMO at the "very" best, the husker program is nothing more then mediocre. It seems we aren't competitive in "any" male sport and for sure none of the revenue sports. The husker's men's programs have become the laughing stock of the BIG.

Football program is extremely overrated.

Basketball program is the worst in the BIG and bottom half of Div 1

Baseball program was just swept by a team that showed what it means to compete.

Wrestling program was swept in the dual comps against the top BIG programs

and the other programs I'll admit I haven't the heart to even look.

I find myself wondering when, if ever again, will a men's husker program show us the courage and determination to win a contest against competition equal to us. Yea, we won a couple football games against equal competition but 2 wins in the football program don't go very far at overcoming this losing disease that has seemingly infested the men's programs. The display of competitive desire in our men has left a very sour disposition inside me. I've reached a point where I am losing interest fast. Very fast.. I think I'll grab my clubs or my fishing poles and return to enjoying other sporting events where my heart isn't taxed with high emotion and huge disappointment. The display of the baseball team getting swept this weekend was disgusting. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!! What a way for the Silva Era to start. Yea!!!

You new to Lincoln, Hacker? This is how life has usually been at Big Red. The athletic dept is judged based on how well the football program is doing. Its not mid-90s, but not terrible either. There were a few decent basketball seasons during the Nee era, and a couple of great baseball seasons under Van Horne, or with his team. Wresting was probably better at one time than it is now, but again, its not terrible. What am I missing? I dont remember NU being a consistent mens power in anything other than football and wrestling.

• Fire 1

I know how disappointed I am in the current husker athletic program. At best and IMO at the "very" best, the husker program is nothing more then mediocre. It seems we aren't competitive in "any" male sport and for sure none of the revenue sports. The husker's men's programs have become the laughing stock of the BIG.

Football program is extremely overrated.

Basketball program is the worst in the BIG and bottom half of Div 1

Baseball program was just swept by a team that showed what it means to compete.

Wrestling program was swept in the dual comps against the top BIG programs

and the other programs I'll admit I haven't the heart to even look.

I find myself wondering when, if ever again, will a men's husker program show us the courage and determination to win a contest against competition equal to us. Yea, we won a couple football games against equal competition but 2 wins in the football program don't go very far at overcoming this losing disease that has seemingly infested the men's programs. The display of competitive desire in our men has left a very sour disposition inside me. I've reached a point where I am losing interest fast. Very fast.. I think I'll grab my clubs or my fishing poles and return to enjoying other sporting events where my heart isn't taxed with high emotion and huge disappointment. The display of the baseball team getting swept this weekend was disgusting. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!! What a way for the Silva Era to start. Yea!!!

Interesting that you label the baseball program the Silva Era..............(intentional because of the bullpen meltdown..........or do you refer to all sports by the assistants?) The buck stops at the top.

Football is decent but comparing it to the 90's is inherently fruitless because we will never see that kind of dominance again from anyone. I do believe (maybe too much kool aid?) that we are going to be a fixture in the mix at the top of the B!G soon. But we will not roll over patsies like we could in the Big 12 north without bringing it every week. (see Northwestern).

The state of the basketball program IS a disgrace and our 6-6-6 demonic recipie of changing coaches every 1/2 dozen years has yet to find us a winner. THIS is T.O.'s chance to cement his A.D. legacy with a substantial hire. He just needs to get past his friendship with Doc and DO IT!

Baseball was a hugh weekend disappointment but it's too early to write it off. I'll be very surprised if the fighting Erstads don't turn things around and be a contender to win the B!G...........altough in an admittedly weak confernence.

Wrestling is also on the rise and the move to the B!G has made it more difficult, but they are very young also and will improve.

Keep the faith............. :koolaid2:

• Fire 1

Let's see here...going down the list...

checkmark-fat-48.jpg It's a Monday.

checkmark-fat-48.jpg There was a Nebraska loss when a win was expected over the weekend.

checkmark-fat-48.jpg HuskerHacker is overreacting and predicting Armageddon for the Nebraska athletic program in a new thread.

Ahhh, good. Business as usual. Carry on folks.

HuskerHacker, you should really consider participating in a competitive sport as an adult. You can play softball, baseball (over 30 leagues), cycling, triathlons, duathlons, marathons etc. Getting mad about the results of competiitions you are not a part of is just...well stupid. I follow Huskers sports and enjoy it. I also invest much more energy on competitions that I am in control of.

• Fire 1

Why so bitter? Why is everything so bad all a sudden. Tell you right now, we have bigger problems on the rise.

What would that be, pray tell?

I'll grant you Basketball, only because we've sunk $20 million into it with no appreciable ROI yet, but there doesn't seem to be anything else looming on the horizon.

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly couldn't care less what others say. The University of Nebraska hasn't a single men's programs that is above mediocre. The blame has to be on the administration. It began with Pedersen and Pearlmen's hatred of Solich and our programs have never recovered. TO hasn't done anything to help. Football can't win 10 games and quite frankly, were lucky to win 9. Basketball is horrendously "BAD" and baseball is what its traditionally been. Everyone posting seems to enjoy having less then average talent and little if any motivation and desire to win.

Along with Doc's firing, the regents had better also look very closely at pearlmen and TO as the athletic department has been brutal at best since the departure of Byrne. I am so frustrated with our lack of talent that I've lost all desire to even watch a "free" video cast. Seriously, are you kidding me? 3 run blast with two outs on a predictable pitch down the center of the plate. If I didn't despise the bluejays as much as I do, I'd be jumping on their bandwagon. They at least have a competitive men's athletic program. The sker's have become the #2 in-state Div 1 uni. Give UNO a few more years and I'm sure the sker's at this rate will be the #3 program.

I honestly couldn't care less what others say. The University of Nebraska hasn't a single men's programs that is above mediocre. The blame has to be on the administration. It began with Pedersen and Pearlmen's hatred of Solich and our programs have never recovered. TO hasn't done anything to help. Football can't win 10 games and quite frankly, were lucky to win 9. Basketball is horrendously "BAD" and baseball is what its traditionally been. Everyone posting seems to enjoy having less then average talent and little if any motivation and desire to win.

Along with Doc's firing, the regents had better also look very closely at pearlmen and TO as the athletic department has been brutal at best since the departure of Byrne. I am so frustrated with our lack of talent that I've lost all desire to even watch a "free" video cast. Seriously, are you kidding me? 3 run blast with two outs on a predictable pitch down the center of the plate. If I didn't despise the bluejays as much as I do, I'd be jumping on their bandwagon. They at least have a competitive men's athletic program. The sker's have become the #2 in-state Div 1 uni. Give UNO a few more years and I'm sure the sker's at this rate will be the #3 program.

f#*k off.

• Fire 1

Come and jump right in. The water is fine! I've been dancing for 5 days straight now.

I love how you have continued to lurk after this original post while the baseball team has gone 7-1. Now that they were losing 7-0 to Cal, you go ahead and decide you will post about the mediocrity and how you don't care. Guess what, if you don't care, no one is asking you to! Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying you need to care about Husker sports, LEAVE. Feel free. It's baseball, we aren't going to win them all. Plain and simple. 2-2 would be a decent weekend, and you know that.

• Fire 1

2-2 is an average weekend at best.

seems to me that everyone (from the players, to the coaches, the administration and the fans) is Happy with average play. I'm tired of average and long for a men's program to actually boast about. I've spent well over 2K in the last 2 years supporting the uni and for what? Average? I'm tired of "average".

Edit:

As I surf this board I find myself wondering who can say they too have put 2K into the uni via games attended, concessions, memorabilia, all while trying to send 3 kids to private school. I mention this because of the few "f@ck *@F" comments I see through out the site.

I go to husker football games now and see the profanity written on T-shirts... I listen to disgusting comments made between friends at the top of one another's voice and think to myself, is this an environment I want my kids in? Simple answer "NO"