Trayvon Martin and "Stand Your Ground" in FL

In the end it was about 20 bad decisions by both parties that ended up with one of the parties being dead. Either person could have ended the chain reaction but didn't.

That's a bold statement, considering you only know Zimmerman's story. Pretty much the only facts we know: Unarmed kid followed by guy with a gun, unarmed kid ends up dead. But the unarmed kid should have ended the chain reaction?

By not beating the sh#t out of Zimmerman? Yes.

Sure you could argue that it's Zimmerman's fault he got beat up by Martin, but that's a little too close to the "it's her fault she got raped" argument for my comfort.

In the end it was about 20 bad decisions by both parties that ended up with one of the parties being dead. Either person could have ended the chain reaction but didn't.

That's a bold statement, considering you only know Zimmerman's story. Pretty much the only facts we know: Unarmed kid followed by guy with a gun, unarmed kid ends up dead. But the unarmed kid should have ended the chain reaction?

Sure you could argue that it's Zimmerman's fault he got beat up by Martin, but that's a little too close to the "it's her fault she got raped" argument for my comfort.

If that's the context you choose to believe the fight in, ok. But that isn't 100% confirmed factual information. That's Zimmerman's side of the story.

The best case scenario for Zimmerman is that he's a racist who followed this kid based on the fact that he's black and walking in the rain, against the wishes of the police he called, which directly led to a confrontation of some sort. Upon realizing he was going to lose the fight, he shot Martin. BEST CASE SCENARIO his actions started a fight he couldn't win, and he killed the other guy for it.

In any state other than Florida (and maybe some other states in the deep south), he goes to jail. If he kills a white kid in the same manner, he goes to jail. If you believe otherwise, I have a bridge I can sell you. Stand your ground is an asinine law, and teaches us that, in Florida, it is best to kill someone you fight with so they can't refute your story.

If that's the context you choose to believe the fight in, ok. But that isn't 100% confirmed factual information. That's Zimmerman's side of the story.

The best case scenario for Zimmerman is that he's a racist who followed this kid based on the fact that he's black and walking in the rain, against the wishes of the police he called, which directly led to a confrontation of some sort. Upon realizing he was going to lose the fight, he shot Martin. BEST CASE SCENARIO his actions started a fight he couldn't win, and he killed the other guy for it.

In any state other than Florida (and maybe some other states in the deep south), he goes to jail. If he kills a white kid in the same manner, he goes to jail. If you believe otherwise, I have a bridge I can sell you. Stand your ground is an asinine law, and teaches us that, in Florida, it is best to kill someone you fight with so they can't refute your story.

why is playing the race card so important to you? And the defense didn't even use the Stand your Ground law because they didn't have to. Maybe everyone involved lied on the stand because there wasn't a single the prosecution witness that could convince me that Zimmerman was guilty of murder.

and by the way, 21 states have the Stand Your Ground Law in place, so its not just Florida.

why is playing the race card so important to you? And the defense didn't even use the Stand your Ground law because they didn't have to. Maybe everyone involved lied on the stand because there wasn't a single the prosecution witness that could convince me that Zimmerman was guilty of murder.

and by the way, 21 states have the Stand Your Ground Law in place, so its not just Florida.

Why is pretending racism isn't an issue so important to you? As Knapp said earlier in the thread, there's about 200 years of American history that would demonstrate that race is frequently an issue. It's a different world for non-white people, I've seen it first hand with some non-white friends. We don't have the same conversations with our kids about dealing with things that other races have to have with theirs. If Martin was white, I'd be willing to bet anything that he's never followed in the first place.

Seems to me, though I could be wrong, is that most "stand your ground" laws apply to defense of the home.

The only way this is about race is because the media and the black community made it out to be about race. Its so much easier to pull out the race card than to actually build up facts and evidence as to why this tragic event happened.

I'm allowing myself one post on this topic and then I'm out.

1. Of COURSE race is a part of this story. No matter what story you believe, it's clear that George Zimmerman was suspicious of Trayvon Martin before Martin had done anything illegal, and that Martin was suspicious of Zimmerman before Zimmerman had approached him. It's also clear that Martin's family doesn't remotely trust the local police department, and if you don't understand the roots of that sentiment, which go back for decades, go take a history class. If you think that race didn't play a role in this, you're either naive or you're a white guy from Nebraska that has only seen about 20 black people in your entire life.

2. I'm fairly certain that the new racism is white people playing the victim, complaining about how unfairly they are being treated by the media - yeah, white males have it sooooo hard. Give me a break.

Um, you do realize that the media immediately played the "black kid killed by angry white guy" card, even though Zimmerman is Hispanic.... right?

• Fire 1

Litteraly everything you said is wrong.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/30/justice/florida-zimmerman-defense

• Fire 3

Good article on the topic:

Zimmerman's Not Guilty. But Florida Sure Is.

Blame the state’s bad laws for Trayvon Martin’s death.

http://www.slate.com...in_s_death.html

The problem is, this case wasn't subject to SYG law.

http://miami.cbsloca...immerman-trial/

Initially, police didn’t arrest Zimmerman as he asserted self-defense under the state’s Stand Your Ground law. While his attorneys never filed an official Stand Your Ground motion in the case, the claim would become Zimmerman’s central defense.

Last year, state Senator Dwight Bullard , D-39th District, led the charge against the Stand Your Ground law which the state’s legislature passed in 2005. While some say the law did not play a part in the trial, on CBS4′s “Facing South Florida” Bullard told Jim DeFede he disagrees.

“The reality is that from the very first steps taken by police in Sanford, in their inability to put Mr. Zimmerman in prison, it had everything to do with blow back from the Stand Your Ground law,” said Bullard. “When you look at the prosecution’s inability to give rules to the jurors in regards to did Zimmerman retreat or could he have retreated, it had everything to do with that statute.”

This guy gets it and he's black.

"Well Mr. Obama if you had a son, would he also act like Trayvon?" around the 7:50 mark of this video

Said by a guy standing in front of an "Obama, show us your birth certificate" sign. Classic.

• Fire 2