Trayvon Martin and "Stand Your Ground" in FL

The thing about racial profiling, or stereotypes in general, is that there's often a degree of truth to them OR a reason for why they exist.

For example, you have two sidewalks to walk down in North Omaha on a Friday night. One has three black males with pants down to their knees, shirts four times too large, gold teeth, and flat billed hats. The other sidewalk has three white males with fitted clothes, well groomed looks and lack the other accessories the three black males have (i.e. hats and gold teeth). Which sidewalk do you choose to walk down?

I have no shame in admitting I choose the sidewalk with three white males, even though I have no way of honestly knowing which group is worse. The look of the three black males has been culturally reinforced as the "thug" look in our society. The media isn't the problem - the culture is. Musical icons reinforce it, parents reinforce it, other kids reinforce it, etc. The media isn't the sole reason stereotypes are a problem, and isn't even a major reason, imho.

This all has little to do with Martin and Zimmerman, but I saw some talk about racial profiling and I thought this fit in. In relation to this case, though, people just need to keep their mouths shut and wait for the facts to come out. Everything is nonsense until this happens.

Just go to drudge report. To many links to follow. trayvon is getting slaughtered now. Also a trayvon protest went incredibly wrong and one of the heads of the new black panthers was arrested on gun charges. That bounty being put out pissed of some high powered people and of course when you get to many unsinicere people in a large group it has all the makinsgs for chaos.

For example, you have two sidewalks to walk down in North Omaha on a Friday night. One has three white wannabee gangstas look-a-likes with pants down to their knees, shirts four times too large, gold teeth, and flat billed hats. The other sidewalk has three professional black men with fitted clothes, well groomed looks and lack the other accessories the three white trash dudes have (i.e. hats and gold teeth). Which sidewalk do you choose to walk down?

What then?

The thing about racial profiling, or stereotypes in general, is that there's often a degree of truth to them OR a reason for why they exist.

For example, you have two sidewalks to walk down in North Omaha on a Friday night. One has three black males with pants down to their knees, shirts four times too large, gold teeth, and flat billed hats. The other sidewalk has three white males with fitted clothes, well groomed looks and lack the other accessories the three black males have (i.e. hats and gold teeth). Which sidewalk do you choose to walk down?

The black guys probably have better weed, so I choose them.

I have no shame in admitting I choose the sidewalk with three white males, even though I have no way of honestly knowing which group is worse. The look of the three black males has been culturally reinforced as the "thug" look in our society. The media isn't the problem - the culture is. Musical icons reinforce it, parents reinforce it, other kids reinforce it, etc. The media isn't the sole reason stereotypes are a problem, and isn't even a major reason, imho.

This all has little to do with Martin and Zimmerman, but I saw some talk about racial profiling and I thought this fit in. In relation to this case, though, people just need to keep their mouths shut and wait for the facts to come out. Everything is nonsense until this happens.

I completely and fully understand what you are saying. Any poster on here that lives in Austin will understand this. I bought a repossesed home and fixed it up. My house payment was 400 doallars a month and that included taxes. The street I lived on was basically quiet except for the one guy that suffered from skytafrania ( excuse spelling) Then all of a sudden Ms 13 popped up and it was like the street changed over night. My wife said it was time to move and I said "No". Held on for about 6 months and it got worse. House break ins and graffitti evry where and cops every night with helicopters. Then the fight I had with 2 gang bangers and hip hop mentallity happened. that was it and we moved. I moved to west austin and thought I was moving into a all white nieghborhood. Turns out my neighbors from india, black,china,france and mexico. Geuss what I have not seen one sagging and bagging hip hop guy and every one is clean cut and dresses well. My wife says her stress level has gone down and mine also. I would choose to walk down the same side of the side walk you did also. Also I never hear police cars or helicopters flying over my neighborhood, Except for the time they caught a suspected murderer in on of my neighbors back yard. If the hip hop culture is so great then you can have it. I dont like looking at mens asses anyways. the repossed home I bought was on the east side of Austin down south. People with uderstanding of austin will get it.

For example, you have two sidewalks to walk down in North Omaha on a Friday night. One has three white wannabee gangstas look-a-likes with pants down to their knees, shirts four times too large, gold teeth, and flat billed hats. The other sidewalk has three professional black men with fitted clothes, well groomed looks and lack the other accessories the three white trash dudes have (i.e. hats and gold teeth). Which sidewalk do you choose to walk down?

What then?

He would probably walk down the sidewalk with the professional black men for the same reasons he stated why he would walk down the sidewalk with the professional white kids.

Where are you going with this?

What then?

The professional black men.

Your attempt to bate me into a racial conundrum shows you missed the point I was getting at. Three white "thugs" intimidate me equally as three black "thugs", given their clothing and mannerisms are constant. It's the culture itself that breads the stereotypes.

Obama is half white, but is BLACK because he is president. Zimmerman is half white, but is WHITE because he shot a black kid.

Let's be honest here. President Obama is "black" because if no one knew who he was and saw him walking down the street the first thought that pops into their mind is never going to be "hey look at that white guy!".

You're missing the point here, but would you see George Zimmerman walking down the street and say "hey look at that white guy!" Uhhh no

This is one of those situations that I'm REALLY glad I stayed out of. My initial reaction was Kid With Skittles vs. Guy With Gun, and I was of the opinion that someone should have been charged with something, most likely Zimmerman.

We've moved out of that realm with new info, and it doesn't appear - as MANY stories appear upon further reflection - that we had all the facts when this story first broke.

I'm still not to the point where I'm at all OK with Zimmerman shooting Martin. But self-defense is looking more of a possibility.

Whether self-defense is what we're looking at or not, Zimmerman was told to stop following the kid, and it appears he didn't.

I'm sure there will be more Paul Harvey moments in this case. Still too early to draw conclusions.

Has anybody read the kids criminal record or his tweets? Seems like just the kind of hoodlum capable of what Zimmerman accused him of.

Meh. I've known a lot of Internet Hoodlums that are pretty regular fellas when they're not posting to Facebook or Twitter.

Has anybody read the kids criminal record or his tweets? Seems like just the kind of hoodlum capable of what Zimmerman accused him of.

Meh. I've known a lot of Internet Hoodlums that are pretty regular fellas when they're not posting to Facebook or Twitter.

I agree, we can't rely on what he posted on Twitter but the kid was no Saint as the media seems to want to portray him.

Suspended from school three times. Busted for Marijuana. Busted for possession of burglary tools along with a backpack full of women's jewelry...remember that Zimmerman was concerned about theft in his neighborhood... Oh and one of his friends tweeted something on his twit wall about him assaulting a bus driver.

The court of public opinion is retarded and I usually try to stay out of it but I think that Zimmerman is telling the truth about this kid assaulting him.

I think that Zimmerman is telling the truth about this kid assaulting him.

That could be true. But it's also likely true that Zimmerman probably wouldn't have been assaulted had he not followed Martin, as he was instructed by the 911 operator. It's also likely true that Martin would be alive today if Zimmerman didn't have a gun. Lots and lots and lots of unknowns at this moment, which is why I'm reserving judgment at this time.