Affordable Care Act / ObamaCare

Supreme Court Decision  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How they "will" rule and how they "should" rule are 2 completely different questions. They should find it unconstitutional but I'm not convinced that they will. There are a bunch of great pieces in the Obamacare legislation, and some bad ones too, but I will never feel our government has any right to coerce it's citizens into a a healthcare plan, even if it is for their own good. Who are they to tell us we must purchase health insurance or be monetarily punished if we don't? I'm pretty sure the constitution expressly denies them that power. But I'm also sure there have been some boneheaded precedents that will allow them to rationalize trampling our rights once again.

I'm pretty sure the constitution expressly denies them that power.

Which part of the Constitution do you think denies them that power?

I wouldn't be surprised either way. I think there is about an 80% chance that they uphold it but I would be far from shocked if it was struck down.

I'm pretty sure the constitution expressly denies them that power.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. I think there is about an 80% chance that they uphold it but I would be far from shocked if it was struck down.

Off the cuff 60% it stands... Court is slightly right, but this years session has already shown the court breaking in odd ways, specifically the car tracking case... While the vote was unanimous, the opinions written about made for strange bed fellows... Either way this is one of the only times I wish they allowed cameras in the courtroom...

Guess on the vote break down... IMO stand or fall it will be 5-4, the question is who will be the tie breaker...

Edited by Canttakeitanymore

Which part of the Constitution do think expressly gives them that power?

It should definitely be struck down and ruled as unconstitutional. The government has absolutely no right to require me to buy anything and they have even less power to fine me or send me to jail for refusing to buy whatever they are selling. That's the kind of bullsh** that happens in a dictatorship, not a republic.

• Fire 1

How they "will" rule and how they "should" rule are 2 completely different questions. They should find it unconstitutional but I'm not convinced that they will. There are a bunch of great pieces in the Obamacare legislation, and some bad ones too, but I will never feel our government has any right to coerce it's citizens into a a healthcare plan, even if it is for their own good. Who are they to tell us we must purchase health insurance or be monetarily punished if we don't? I'm pretty sure the constitution expressly denies them that power. But I'm also sure there have been some boneheaded precedents that will allow them to rationalize trampling our rights once again.

It's basically telling us we're losing our asses either way. Right in the governement's wheelhouse.

Where exactly does it say that Congress has the authority to make you, me, or anyone else buy anything? I want you to provide the exact language within the Constitution.

"[The Congress shall have Power] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian tribes . . ."

Commerce Clause.

Edit: Excellent summary of both sides of the argument from Politico. Entertaining read. http://www.politico....0312/74324.html

What if they later included you must get a monthly check up and you couldn't afford it? that you had to be tested every so often? Once you start giving the government power it never goes away. What if the co pay was too high? this is strictly about health insurance companies getting more money. Be careful what you wish for.

Commerce Clause.

Edit: Excellent summary of both sides of the argument from Politico. Entertaining read. http://www.politico....0312/74324.html

What if they later included you must get a monthly check up and you couldn't afford it? that you had to be tested every so often? Once you start giving the government power it never goes away. What if the co pay was too high? this is strictly about health insurance companies getting more money. Be careful what you wish for.

Who is wishing? I'm trying to predict what the Court will do with it. My opinion doesn't really matter too much.

Where exactly does it say that Congress has the authority to make you, me, or anyone else buy anything? I want you to provide the exact language within the Constitution.

"[The Congress shall have Power] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian tribes . . ."

try again. His point is the government doesn't have the power to make individuals buy certain stuff.

try again. His point is the government doesn't have the power to make individuals buy certain stuff.

Let's wait and see, shall we? You might just be right.

Let's wait and see, shall we? You might just be right.

so every time you get a soda you must buy coke? that is exactly what he is saying. we have freedom of choice. mandated healthcare takes away that choice.

so every time you get a soda you must buy coke? that is exactly what he is saying. we have freedom of choice. mandated healthcare takes away that choice.

Ah, reductio ad absurdum, I know thee well.

We'll get an answer soon enough. I'm sure the armchair justices will know better than the SCOTUS regardless of the outcome.

And if the government can force you to buy HEALTH insurance that means that they can force you to buy LIFE insurance and that means that they can force you to buy DEATH insurance which means that they can kill you whenever they want! DOOOM!