Building Skyscrapers in Lincoln?

Skyscrapers in Lincoln  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2012 at 9:37 PM, VA Husker Fan said:

Isn't it a state law that no building in Lincoln can be taller than the capitol building? Or is that just a fable?

Even if not, you don't build a tall building just for aesthetics. You can say budgeting shouldn't be a problem, but unless you're in control of a budget, how can you say that? Is there a demand for downtown office space that would make it feasible for someone to build it? I doubt that "Omaha" built any of those skyscrapers, rather, businesses in Omaha did. There's a lot of money in Omaha. Lincoln, probably not so much. I don't really care if it happens or not, but I don't see it happening any time soon, and I think your reasons for having one or more aren't sound.

It should be fable, cuz all limiting building height does is drive away opportunity  and growth.  Something this city does not understand when it keeps getting passed up in preference to other cities.

Edited by Sarah

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2012 at 8:43 AM, knapplc said:

Believe me, it was implied. :D

I agree with the sentiment of your post. It's absurd that we can't have taller towers in Lincoln. I don't know that it's hampering growth much, but it's not helping.

The State Capitol building is swell. But it's not so end-all, be-all important that we have to maintain it as the dominant architectural structure in the skyline. I think it's an absurd law. Maybe it'll change in a few decades, when some of the blue-hairs die off.

I totally agree.........the law doesn't really need to change........as I said in a previous post, do what Baton rouge does......build further away from the capitol.  Mayor Seng wanted to build a 25 story tower where the now very ugly building called parkhaus sits.  But some people cried like babies saying they didn't want a tall building obstructing their current views.  If anyone give the slightest little whine the city backs down.