The 'We Should Fire Our Coach' Thread

So except for the handful of deranged FIRE BO NOW! partisans, most of us seem in agreement that Bo's seat is definitely warm, he will by all accounts be given a sixth season in which we would really like to see some improvement.

Shut down HuskerBoard.com now?

I don't consider myself to be deranged. Some of us just think it's better to cut our losses now than toil in mediocrity for another 2 or 3 years and then hit the reset button. Why delay the inevitable?

Nebraska is currently outside of the Top 25, where it does not belong. Recruiting is stagnant. Top players have been jumping ship after they get here. 8 games in and the team is still making tons of mistakes and lacks discipline. What's to like?

A come from behind victory against a mediocre middle of the pack team from a mediocre middle of the pack conference is not to like. Don't mean to come across as harsh, but this program has been trending downward for over a decade now.

It's time for YOU to get the F*#K off this BOARD

Alpha Mike Foxtrot

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. Just because you, and anyone else who is a Pelini fan, disagree does not mean someone else needs to be banned from this board. This is an open forum for everyone.

I am not necessarily a Bo fan, and my support is fading fast. But, my criteria for Bo is for him to clean house on the inadequate coaches and replace them with folks who know how to recruit and how to coach their positions. Start first with Barney Cotton and then move on to get rid of Papuchis.

I only agreed with the weasel, Lou Holtz, one time in my life. That was when he made the comment on national TV about Bill Callahan. (paraphrasing here) “The toughest thing for a coach is not recruiting or knowing the X’s and O’s. It is firing his friends and hiring competent coaches to replace them.” He was talking about getting rid of Kevin Cosgrove as defensive coordinator.

I have not issued a definitive judgement on Pelini just yet, but he has to do something about this staff. It is painfully obvious to anyone who knows anything at all about the sport of football that there are some serious coaching eneptness.

Example: I have coached for many years and cannot remember one time, from youth football to college football, where an offensive lineman was penalized for not being on the line or scrimage. And, it happened twice in one game last Saturday. How about the personal foul 40 yards behind the play? Or, the fumbles and dropped punts? Penalties and mental errors can be corrected and it starts with coaching. It keeps happening over and over each week. Pelini keeps talking about correcting these things but with no result.

I don't consider myself to be deranged. Some of us just think it's better to cut our losses now than toil in mediocrity for another 2 or 3 years and then hit the reset button. Why delay the inevitable?

Nebraska is currently outside of the Top 25, where it does not belong. Recruiting is stagnant. Top players have been jumping ship after they get here. 8 games in and the team is still making tons of mistakes and lacks discipline. What's to like?

A come from behind victory against a mediocre middle of the pack team from a mediocre middle of the pack conference is not to like. Don't mean to come across as harsh, but this program has been trending downward for over a decade now.

The program is anything but trending down the last 4 years, one of those top recruits that left is hardly even missed this year, and Recruiting although early at this point is looking fairly solid.

Per Rivals - 2013 recruiting rankings = #33. 3 4* recruits with 10 total. That is below other Big 10 teams, Illinois, #7 Ohio St. and #3 Michigan.

Current and last 3 years: 2012 = #25; 2011 = #15. 2010 = #22. 2009 = #22. If you look at the last 3 years...15, 25, 33. That's a downward trend.

Let's look at AP Rankings. Currently = Not Ranked. 2011 = #24. 2010 = #20. 2009 = #14. Last 3 years 14, 20, 24. Now not ranked. That's a downward trend.

If you like I can draw you a graph.

So except for the handful of deranged FIRE BO NOW! partisans, most of us seem in agreement that Bo's seat is definitely warm, he will by all accounts be given a sixth season in which we would really like to see some improvement.

Shut down HuskerBoard.com now?

Yes, because our Pedeyshine was (amazingly) stupid enough to listen to the haters.

Playing with Texas and Oklahoma a few years back to barely and luckily beating Northwestern are trending downward.

This is Nebraska, we worry about Bama, Oklahoma, Forida, Florida State, Texas, USC. Not fripping Northwestern

Think about what you are saying. Get off Bo's jock strap and realize we have big problems. Change is needed.

Again not saying to fire Bo, correct the problems, competent assistants as we do not have a competent head coach yet. Needs more time to learn the job, but needs help to learn it. NOT FRIENDS.

Playing with Texas and Oklahoma a few years back to barely and luckily beating Northwestern are trending downward.

This is Nebraska, we worry about Bama, Oklahoma, Forida, Florida State, Texas, USC. Not fripping Northwestern

Think about what you are saying. Get off Bo's jock strap and realize we have big problems. Change is needed.

Again not saying to fire Bo, correct the problems, competent assistants as we do not have a competent head coach yet. Needs more time to learn the job, but needs help to learn it. NOT FRIENDS.

This is 2012. All teams worry about all the other teams on their conference schedule. The idea that it's unacceptable to not be an elite team is NOT Husker football.

If you don't think that T.O.'s run in the 90's was a very special thing...than you just don't get it. It was special. It was extraordinary. Or in mouth breather terms, "not the usual stuff that happens".

Expecting another elite run like that is foolish. Hoping for it is fanaticism, and I'm right there with ya.

Bo has got us constantly being a "good" team. His teams have shown flashes of "greatness" already. If all the stars align, and you sacrifice enough goats/first borns/virgins I believe there is a chance he could have an "elite" team someday.

Per Rivals - 2013 recruiting rankings = #33. 3 4* recruits with 10 total. That is below other Big 10 teams, Illinois, #7 Ohio St. and #3 Michigan.

Current and last 3 years: 2012 = #25; 2011 = #15. 2010 = #22. 2009 = #22. If you look at the last 3 years...15, 25, 33. That's a downward trend.

Let's look at AP Rankings. Currently = Not Ranked. 2011 = #24. 2010 = #20. 2009 = #14. Last 3 years 14, 20, 24. Now not ranked. That's a downward trend.

If you like I can draw you a graph.

AP is disappointing but it's not a great indicator, had last year's bowl game gone differently we would be near the top 10. And I put even less stock in Rivals recruiting rankings. If you need me to explain that one to you then you might want to look at our RBs or the size of our class last year.

I think looking at our record is the best indicator and while the last year and a half hasn't been too inspiring, it is definitely not a downward trend at this point.

It's time for YOU to get the F*#K off this BOARD

Alpha Mike Foxtrot

But, my criteria for Bo is for him to clean house on the inadequate coaches and replace them with folks who know how to recruit and how to coach their positions. Start first with Barney Cotton and then move on to get rid of Papuchis.

Once I got to this point in your post, I didn't even read any further. Who care what your criteria is? Are the boosters, or the AD, or the Chancellor, or even the president of NU, calling you?

The oline is improving. The defense has their moments. The position coaches all seem to be doing a pretty good job. Is there room for improvement? Sure. But firing coaches, especially now, will not fix that.

Yea I am sure Bama, Florida, Oklahoma, SC are all worried that they might have to face the feared Northwestern.

I agree any team can win on any give Saturday. But if you truly feel we should be on a level field with Northwestern then the fan base has reached what Peterson did not want. Mediocrity.

There are few teams that this program should fear or feel equal with. Northwestern is not one of them for me.

What I expect is to see Nebraska step on the field withe elite of college football and play respectively. Not win every game but never be trounced, embarassed. Hoping to win against a Northwestern level team.

If you feel that is where we are at and are happy with so be it.

Most true fans on this board never thought that way. It was never thought that we would lose to Oklahom, Florida State, Miami or Florida, even though we did, it was how much can we win by. I never thought about losing to the Baylors, okie lite and the rest. It happened but it was not a worry.

We took what we had and made it better, playing basic football, doing the basics. It amazes me we can be so happy with where we are, and all you have to do is look to the south to see how it can be done with far less talent, support, facilities and money. Coaching is our problem.

Yea I am sure Bama, Florida, Oklahoma, SC are all worried that they might have to face the feared Northwestern.

I agree any team can win on any give Saturday. But if you truly feel we should be on a level field with Northwestern then the fan base has reached what Peterson did not want. Mediocrity.

There are few teams that this program should fear or feel equal with. Northwestern is not one of them for me.

What I expect is to see Nebraska step on the field withe elite of college football and play respectively. Not win every game but never be trounced, embarassed. Hoping to win against a Northwestern level team.

If you feel that is where we are at and are happy with so be it.

Most true fans on this board never thought that way. It was never thought that we would lose to Oklahom, Florida State, Miami or Florida, even though we did, it was how much can we win by. I never thought about losing to the Baylors, okie lite and the rest. It happened but it was not a worry.

We took what we had and made it better, playing basic football, doing the basics. It amazes me we can be so happy with where we are, and all you have to do is look to the south to see how it can be done with far less talent, support, facilities and money. Coaching is our problem.

You're confusing me skers.................in one thread you think Bo can be a decent coach, but then in this thread you make it sound like you want a change? Which is it? Am I reading into it too much and you're really meaning assistant coaches?