The Ron Brown Religion & Persecution Thread

Wow, I had no idea it was that recent, knapp.

What, my conversion? Yep, that's pretty recent. Losing my mom last year was the final straw, but honestly one of the biggest factors was my nearly two-year in-depth bible study I did a few years back. That, combined with my knowledge of the early church and basic human nature really made it hard to justify belief in something with such an infirm base.

I'm late to this part of the conversation. My former belief is now being called into question? On what grounds?

I think it's pretty easy to verify that I was a staunch Christian. Just go look at some threads in this forum from about two years ago. Husker_x will vouch for how trenchantly I supported Christianity back then, I'm sure.

As far as I recall you were a pretty reasonable bloke all the way down the line.

I was into apologetics before I deconverted from Christianity as well. What happens for a lot of ex-Christians (like myself) is eventually you get the amazing idea to use the same critical faculties you use on all other faiths and superstitions on your own. Once you do that, it's game over.

I think there is some critical part of the brain in every person that recognizes the utterly fantastical nature of religion. It's that voice of nagging doubt that even lifelong Christians talk about dealing with. The more you study things critical of faith (and allow yourself to actually consider the possibility you might have it wrong), the louder that voice gets. Every thoughtful deconversion story I've heard involves some kind of period of reflection and study. After awhile you find yourself letting go.

Then you find yourself posting furiously on Huskerboard.

• Fire 4

What happens for a lot of ex-Christians (like myself) is eventually you get the amazing idea to use the same critical faculties you use on all other faiths and superstitions on your own. Once you do that, it's game over.

That's basically true for me.

Then you find yourself posting furiously on Huskerboard.

If I didn't how would everyone know how wrong they are?! :madash

I'm late to this part of the conversation. My former belief is now being called into question? On what grounds?

I think it's pretty easy to verify that I was a staunch Christian. Just go look at some threads in this forum from about two years ago. Husker_x will vouch for how trenchantly I supported Christianity back then, I'm sure.

As far as I recall you were a pretty reasonable bloke all the way down the line.

Wow are you being nice about that. I remember me being not so reasonable. :D