The Ron Brown Religion & Persecution Thread

It's a terrible argument. He might have well asked me "when did you choose to eat?" Humans are naturally programmed to eat, mate, and reproduce. Naturally, to mate and reproduce, it's done with the opposite sex. Whether it's God, evolution, or the flying spaghetti monster, it's a fact that's programmed into our DNA.

Whether or not gay people are programmed differently is heavily debated, and has yet to be proven one way or another. Hence why I asked if the gay gene has been discovered. Me? I tend to go with the viewpoint of the two gay people I actually have interaction with. They made a choice.

You sure think you know a lot don't you

It's a terrible argument. He might have well asked me "when did you choose to eat?" Humans are naturally programmed to eat, mate, and reproduce. Naturally, to mate and reproduce, it's done with the opposite sex. Whether it's God, evolution, or the flying spaghetti monster, it's a fact that's programmed into our DNA.

Whether or not gay people are programmed differently is heavily debated, and has yet to be proven one way or another. Hence why I asked if the gay gene has been discovered. Me? I tend to go with the viewpoint of the two gay people I actually have interaction with. They made a choice.

By the way, I never said I was opposed to homosexuality, but thanks for assuming you know me.

You've never announced you were a Husker fan to me, either, but your presence on several Husker-related message boards and your avatars say that you are. You don't have to overtly announce everything about yourself for it to be observable.

Your benchmark of some mysterious 'gay gene' being found is, to quote you, "a terrible argument." Science hasn't found a 'cancer gene' that explains all cancers, yet we know that cancer exists, naturally, and has existed since the Jurassic. As with cancer, homosexuality probably comes from a variety of sources. But just like cancer, you cannot wish away being gay.

You say you know two gay people? Go ask them to choose to stop being gay. See what they tell you.

You sure think you know a lot don't you

Is anything I said above factually incorrect? If so, please let me know so I can re-evaluate.

By the way, I never said I was opposed to homosexuality, but thanks for assuming you know me.

You've never announced you were a Husker fan to me, either, but your presence on several Husker-related message boards and your avatars say that you are. You don't have to overtly announce everything about yourself for it to be observable.

Your benchmark of some mysterious 'gay gene' being found is, to quote you, "a terrible argument." Science hasn't found a 'cancer gene' that explains all cancers, yet we know that cancer exists, naturally, and has existed since the Jurassic. As with cancer, homosexuality probably comes from a variety of sources. But just like cancer, you cannot wish away being gay.

You say you know two gay people? Go ask them to choose to stop being gay. See what they tell you.

Why don't you just come out and say it Knapp?

Edit: And did you really just compare sexual orientation to a disease?

Edit: And did you really just compare sexual orientation to a disease?

Attack the analogy. Good riposte.

Hey, it's not my fault you used a terrible analogy. ;)

Terrible analogy aside, it's not a good comparison. All life has a few basic functions, i.e. survive and reproduce. We know for a fact that we're hard coded to do so. Now, whether or not being gay is a choice to ignore this, or simply an x instead of a y in a person's genetic makeup has yet to be determined, no? My quote about the "gay gene" was more about is there a biological change in someone's makeup that can be determined, or is it a conscious choice.

In the end, we're arguing semantics. I don't really care one way or another about the law. But if RB is fired, I will be pissed. This is what it boils down to: “I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” What he said should be irrelevant. Pro-gay, anti-gay, it doesn't matter. It all boils down to the fact that he should have distanced himself from UNL when he did it.

Agree to drop the "why are people gay" debate, because I also agree that neither you nor I know.

I won't be happy if Coach Brown is fired. But if he is fired, he'll have brought it on himself. I will be very disappointed in him if that happens.

But if the article from SI that I linked to earlier is any indication, it seems like Coach Brown is taking pains to note that his opinions don't represent UNL in his speeches, and I'm cool with that.

Hey, it's not my fault you used a terrible analogy. ;)

Terrible analogy aside, it's not a good comparison. All life has a few basic functions, i.e. survive and reproduce. We know for a fact that we're hard coded to do so. Now, whether or not being gay is a choice to ignore this, or simply an x instead of a y in a person's genetic makeup has yet to be determined, no? My quote about the "gay gene" was more about is there a biological change in someone's makeup that can be determined, or is it a conscious choice.

In the end, we're arguing semantics. I don't really care one way or another about the law. But if RB is fired, I will be pissed. This is what it boils down to: “I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” What he said should be irrelevant. Pro-gay, anti-gay, it doesn't matter. It all boils down to the fact that he should have distanced himself from UNL when he did it.

There's the rub.

Agree to drop the "why are people gay" debate, because I also agree that neither you nor I know.

I won't be happy if Coach Brown is fired. But if he is fired, he'll have brought it on himself. I will be very disappointed in him if that happens.

But if the article from SI that I linked to earlier is any indication, it seems like Coach Brown is taking pains to note that his opinions don't represent UNL in his speeches, and I'm cool with that.

Sounds good to me. There's a lot of gray, and stuff we just don't know. I was just using the only real-world knowledge I had on the subject. And FTR, I'm not a homophobe. I just think if you knew a bit more about me, you'd see that. I think people just way too worked up (religious and non) over things that really don't matter.

Let's hug it out.

249373_o.gif

**fistbump**

e91a953a_FistBump.gif

• Fire 1

Wouldn't the score be:

Those who chose to participate in the debate - 1

Those who watched - 1 (hopefully)

Those who were too unsure of themselves to participate - 0

That NUance. He's always stirring up trouble and eating popcorn. You gotta watch that guy.

Wouldn't the score be:

Those who chose to participate in the debate - 1

Those who watched - 1 (hopefully)

Those who were too unsure of themselves to participate - 0

That NUance. He's always stirring up trouble and eating popcorn. You gotta watch that guy.

We don't keep score here, it's only a scrimmage.