The Ron Brown Religion & Persecution Thread

I agree with your post BBB12 except for 2 points where I think you are misrepresenting Mr. Brown's stance.

1- I have not seen any evidence or claims that God can't or doesn't forgive homosexuals. I do not believe that to be Ron Brown's stance on the subject at all.

2- I don't think "castigate" is a correct choice of words for what Brown has been doing. There is a big difference between calling something a sin and castigating someone for committing said sin. I know the way the media portrays it and the way gay activists respond to it makes it seem like he is being overly judgemental but I don't see it that way. Knowing what I do about Ron, I think he is simply presenting what he feels the truth is and, if anything, is trying to help these people rather than castigate them. It may only appear that he is focusing on this one sin more than others because it happens to be a current frontline issue. I think to portray him as somehow thinking he is better or less of a sinner than others is an incorrect representation.

1--I suppose that would be a question that I would have to ask Coach Brown himself. It's not so much as to if homosexuals can be forgiven, but how they are forgiven and admittedly I was not clear about that in my first post. If you're only way of forgiveness is by re-orientating your sexual preference from "not right (homosexual)" to "right (heterosexual)", then that is an unacceptable option in my opinion.

2--Perhaps castigate was too strong of a word, I don't see Ron Brown going out of his way to ensure that homosexuals live a lesser life. He is entitled to his opinion, that much can be said (apart from the obvious, his opinions are his own and not the university's). There is just on some logistical ground a problem I have with people calling out one "sin" like it is worse than all of the others.

You can choose to believe it. Or not. Your choice. But it really did happen. Just the way I said.

Then I'm sorry for you, because there are very clear laws set up to protect you in this situation. And you not taking advantage of those laws is similar to you being robbed at gunpoint of several thousand dollars and just shrugging it off.

You can choose to believe it. Or not. Your choice. But it really did happen. Just the way I said.

Then I'm sorry for you, because there are very clear laws set up to protect you in this situation. And you not taking advantage of those laws is similar to you being robbed at gunpoint of several thousand dollars and just shrugging it off.

I'm not the type of guy to file a lawsuit. I'm the type of guy who will search for and find a better job. And perhaps leave a bag of flaming dog poop on the Dept Head's front porch. (Actually, I just daydreamed about the flaming bag of poop.)

Ron Brown is a great coach,and entitled to his opinion.If people can't deal with it,maybe They should move on.You can't get rid of coach's everytime they have an opinion you don't like.

I don't think that anyone is advocating for getting rid of a coach every time that they have an opinion that they don't like.

Brown is clearly using his university employment (and subsequent fame) to push a message of discrimination. That's wrong. People used faith to justify segregation in the 50s and 60s. Now they're using it to justify homophobia.

Luckily, it won't matter. Those prejudices are dying with the older generations.

• Fire 1

I thought only God could address sins from God's perspective, again, how does a "sinner" have the right to castigate a "sinner"?

You must not have a very thorough understanding of the Bible, then. There are dozens of scriptural references to exposing, rebuking, judging (out of sincere love), and not putting up with sin.

If you're only way of forgiveness is by re-orientating your sexual preference from "not right (homosexual)" to "right (heterosexual)", then that is an unacceptable option in my opinion.

I guarantee you and would put any amount of money behind it that Ron Brown would not utter that statement. He would say the only way of forgiveness is to place your faith in Christ and receive the Holy Spirit.

I would love to have a conversation with Coach Brown about Romans 14. There are far too many Christians who overlook this passage. It's not as popular as the bite-sized morsel about the log in your own eye, but it's far more intricate in its meaning to the modern Christian, and directly relates to what Coach Brown is doing.

If you're only way of forgiveness is by re-orientating your sexual preference from "not right (homosexual)" to "right (heterosexual)", then that is an unacceptable option in my opinion.

I guarantee you and would put any amount of money behind it that Ron Brown would not utter that statement. He would say the only way of forgiveness is to place your faith in Christ and receive the Holy Spirit.

And there are many homosexual Christians that would say they already do have their faith in Christ...so what's he complaining about? The problem with labeling homosexuality a sin and saying it's just as equal to any other sin....is that unfortunately homosexuality seems to be the only sin where you are constantly committing it 24/7, no matter what. Other sins seem to be mostly be momentary lapses in moral/ethical judgments...and then the person asks forgiveness and moves on. Homosexuals are basically sinning just sitting there not doing anything...just being who they are.

But I guess that gets into the is homosexuality an choice or not.

I agree with Brown about this bill. We don't need a law affording gays and transgenders the same protections as blacks and women. I don't have anything against gays, or even transgenders for that matter (although I don't know any transgenders). I just don't think sexual preference/gender identity falls into the same category as race and actual gender.

Talk to someone who has not gotten a promotion they're qualified for because of their sexual preference and tell me if you feel the same.

We shouldn't need ANY of these laws. We should not need a law to tell us that if you have a man and a woman, equally qualified, doing the same work, they should be paid the same. We have NO NEED for this law - except for the fact that people won't pay both genders equally.

We shouldn't have any need for a law that says you can't fail to hire someone because of the color of their skin. Skin color is completely irrelevant to whether a person can do a job, yet to this very day people are denied employment because they are the wrong color - and the fun part is, it's happening to Whites a LOT more these days because we have a sizable population of non-Whites in management now.

I don't like these laws. I think they are completely unnecessary. But time and time again humanity proves me wrong.

This is called life. Studies show short people are discriminated against. Should I be protected from this? This law is no different than what Brown is fighting for so if you think it's ok to force people to accept your beliefs through law why is it not ok for others to fight against it. Brown believes they shouldn't have special privaleges...the people pushing this bill believe the opposite. Who's right, who's wrong? It's all a matter of opinion. I might be missing some of this but where in the articles does it validate that Brown is using the University to push his "agenda?" All I'm seeing is the media portraying him as someone who hates the man and not his ways when I believe he feels the opposite.

I thought only God could address sins from God's perspective, again, how does a "sinner" have the right to castigate a "sinner"?

You must not have a very thorough understanding of the Bible, then. There are dozens of scriptural references to exposing, rebuking, judging (out of sincere love), and not putting up with sin.

You are absolutely right. Admittedly, my understanding of the Bible is limited. My arguments don't come from a biblical perspective, though, rather just my own logistical/philosophical ideas. The quote that JJ posted, said, "

When you speak the truth to people who don't see it that way, they often come away thinking you condemned them or judged them rather than addressing their sin from God's perspective, which is an act of love.'' My whole thought is that only God can really say what God's perspective is, who are any of us to relay our perception of God's perspective?

That really wasn't meant to put words in Ron Brown's mouth, that statement was geared more towards those who are 100% behind the idea that homosexuality is still a disease (and believe me, a fair amount of these people exist in the world today) who claim that it can be "cured" by "switching" back to the clean and right heterosexual life. But what you put and perhaps what an even greater majority of people believe is necessary to obtain God's forgiveness begs the question, how does one receive the Holy Spirit, and how is it possible to place your faith in Christ when He obviously condemns your lifestyle?

I'll say this now, I'm all for people voicing their own opinions, and whenever I disagree with someone, I argue back not for the sake of going, "NO, YOU'RE WRONG, THIS IS THE ONLY WAY." Really, I am just curious as to the different perspectives which people hold. I am open to change my own if I feel that other thoughts are more acceptable than the ones which I hold. I just hope that other people can accept my views and argue back the same way in which I accept theirs and argue back to them.

We live in the USA. Folks are entitled to share their beliefs according to our Constitution. I respect and admire Coach Brown a great deal. He has a great message to share. However, and he knows this, he needs to share his opinions/beliefs without respect to his job at UNL. However, I also thought it was unfair for the lesbian Lincoln school board member to raised a big stink about Coach Brown sharing his beliefs and using UNL as a platform but it was ok for her share hers, using Lincoln Public Schools as a platform and no one said a word. Coach Brown asked this question and no one ever answered it: "If I had come to this meeting and agreed with this law, would we be having this conversation?

This is called life. Studies show short people are discriminated against. Should I be protected from this? This law is no different than what Brown is fighting for so if you think it's ok to force people to accept your beliefs through law why is it not ok for others to fight against it. Brown believes they shouldn't have special privaleges...the people pushing this bill believe the opposite. Who's right, who's wrong? It's all a matter of opinion. I might be missing some of this but where in the articles does it validate that Brown is using the University to push his "agenda?" All I'm seeing is the media portraying him as someone who hates the man and not his ways when I believe he feels the opposite.

Because other wrongs are done, ALL wrongs should be allowed? You knew that was a silly argument it when you typed it.

If a particular group is sufficiently oppressed then they'll merit a law protecting their rights. These aren't "special" rights granted to certain people, these are inalienable rights we ALL already have as humans. The only reason anti-discrimination laws exist is that some groups are specifically singled out. When there isn't enough common sense for people to see that you can't discriminate, then a law has to be passed.

The solution isn't to abolish all discrimination laws, or declare them equally invalid, the solution is for everyone to grow up and stop discriminating against everyone else.

• Fire 2

Coach Brown asked this question and no one ever answered it: "If I had come to this meeting and agreed with this law, would we be having this conversation?

Nobody answered it because it's a red herring. It's not that Citizen Ron Brown disagreed with the law. It's that UNL Coach Ron Brown Who Lives At One Memorial Stadium Drive disagreed with the law. And we know UNL Coach Ron Brown Who Lives At One Memorial Stadium Drive was the person who disagreed with the law because Ron Brown told us that.

That is why we're having this conversation.

• Fire 1