Need an Former QB as QB coach

here is an interesting quote from Steve Calhoun (TM's QB coach this summer)

Calhoun also is convincing when he discusses Martinez's potential as a passer. After all, Taylor was an excellent passer in high school, Calhoun says.

"He was just so dominant," the coach says. "But he kind of progressively got worse, from when I saw him in high school (to) when he was at Nebraska.

"That just comes from him not being able to have someone there to break it all down for him. The coaches just don't have time. And then there were the injuries (in 2010 to his ankle and toe). He was still out there battling. But when you have the pain, you're going to change the way you step toward your target and deliver the football."

It just tells me that you really need a former QB to actually coach, and develop quarterbacks. Sure the OC will be there to guide the QB during the game on the game plan and what is being seen from above, but what about practices and so on.

I will always love what Joe Ganz did for the Huskers on the field, and what he is trying to do as an Intern now, he is just not a QB Coach yet. If Huskernation wants to get, keep, and develop great QB's on a consistant basis, we are going to have to get a real QB coach!!!!!

Thoughts anyone?

Calhoun also is convincing when he discusses Martinez's potential as a passer. After all, Taylor was an excellent passer in high school, Calhoun says.

"He was just so dominant," the coach says. "But he kind of progressively got worse, from when I saw him in high school (to) when he was at Nebraska.

"That just comes from him not being able to have someone there to break it all down for him. The coaches just don't have time. And then there were the injuries (in 2010 to his ankle and toe). He was still out there battling. But when you have the pain, you're going to change the way you step toward your target and deliver the football."

It just tells me that you really need a former QB to actually coach, and develop quarterbacks. Sure the OC will be there to guide the QB during the game on the game plan and what is being seen from above, but what about practices and so on.

I will always love what Joe Ganz did for the Huskers on the field, and what he is trying to do as an Intern now, he is just not a QB Coach yet. If Huskernation wants to get, keep, and develop great QB's on a consistant basis, we are going to have to get a real QB coach!!!!!

Thoughts anyone?

The middle of September isn't time for any coach to change throwing mechanics. I think Calhoun is a bit off his rocker on this one. When watching TMart's HS film, he had a long whinding windmill motion. After his redshirt year, the coaches shortened it up a bit, wasn't perfect but better. Last season there was an improvement as well.

But back to the point, the work to tune up your throwing motion needs to be done Feb-July. Not Sept-December.

Thoughts anyone?

Taylor was an "excellent passer" in high school because he wasn't throwing against division 1 defenses. Bad mechanics don't just spontaneously happen. He has always had broken mechanics.

The middle of September isn't time for any coach to change throwing mechanics. I think Calhoun is a bit off his rocker on this one. When watching TMart's HS film, he had a long whinding windmill motion. After his redshirt year, the coaches shortened it up a bit, wasn't perfect but better. Last season there was an improvement as well.

But back to the point, the work to tune up your throwing motion needs to be done Feb-July. Not Sept-December.

not sure if serious?

Thoughts anyone?

Taylor was an "excellent passer" in high school because he wasn't throwing against division 1 defenses. Bad mechanics don't just spontaneously happen. He has always had broken mechanics.

^^ This. :thumbs:

And I've always wondered why we don't have a QB coach. Maybe we're at some ncaa limit for the number of coaches a team can have? Or a budget thingy?

And I've always wondered why we don't have a QB coach. Maybe we're at some ncaa limit for the number of coaches a team can have? Or a budget thingy?

We're always at the limit, every other team is as well. 10 total including HC I think? It's just a matter of priorities I'm sure. Every team is different. Houston has a coach for both inside receivers, and outside receivers. But not as many teams have dedicated QB coaches as you'd think. Definately not with offenses like ours. Oregon doesn't, Alabama doesn't, etc.

Oklahoma does (Huepel), LSU does (a good one in Kragthorpe), Texas does.

I'd be curious to go through the top 20 QBs over the last few years, and see if their teams had dedicated QB coaches. Stanford, Auburn, Boise, etc...

Beck coaches the QB's and is the offensive coordinator. So if you take Beck off the QB and just make him the OC, who are you going to replace to bring in a QB coach?

The reason Beck took over the QB duties when he became the OC is that you don't want the OC coaching the runningbacks or widerecievers. We don't have a dedicated TE's coach. Garrison does both OL and TE and Barney does the OL. Once Garrison is able to handle the OL on his own he'll take that over and Barney will probably move upstairs.. but even at that point I expect Morrow to then be added to the main staff to coach the TE's.

So really, who do you replace to bring in a QB coach and just have Beck be the OC?

Not gonna be anyone on D. We've got one Defensive Coordinator and one Secondary coach and one DLine coach and our Linebackers coach also does special teams and is the Recruiting Coordinator. Technically we could have our DC coach linebackers and not have a linebackers coach.. but do we really want only 3 Defensive Coaches?

You still need a WR/TE/OL/RB coach too.

So unless you bring in a new OL coach that can handle that job singlehandedly and have Fisher coach both WR's and TE's.. thus getting rid of Cotton, Garrison and Morrow, Beck is going to be the QB coach - and considering he's only been the QB coach for one year do we know he won't be good at it.. he's been pretty good coaching every position he's coached in the past, from linebackers to punters to widerecievers to runningbacks.

Thats what Ganz was for.

Actually what hurt Taylor as much as anything was getting hurt. You start to overcompensate to make up for the injury and your form gets all out of whack. Think about golf. You hurt your knee or strain your back and your swing changes to compensate. Eventually you get a muscle memory for that motion and eventually your swing is all f'd up for good unless you work hard to undo the bad habits.

with his speed, if his throwing arm was even half decent, he would have been heavily recruited out of high school........we've been down this road before, NU was the only school to give him a shot........i said it a long time ago, we need a damn good QB mechanics coach on the team. technique is taught at every other position, Beck doesn't have the time or the expertise........

yeah Taylor, if I recall was supposedly making good progress before he got his foot hurt in his freshman year. Up and down, not flying off the charts or anything, but it did go off the rails.

Taylor wasn't an "excellent passer" in high school really, him being way behind the game as far as playing the QB position goes, and throwing, was well-known since his recruitment. We do have a QBs coach in Beck. No mechanics coach in the world (or Brian Calhoun) is going to transform Taylor though. He is what he is and we work with it and adapt the offense around that.

This really can't be stressed enough.

not sure if serious?

100% serious

not sure if serious?

100% serious

In his mechanics, footwork and throwing motion? not a chance. in him as a more rounded QB - yup...but not mechanics.

This was a rarity in 2010, it was every pass in 2011.