Why are most farmers Republican?

I realize people have different priorities. There are things I side with the Republicans on and things I side with the Democrats on. But farming is the most subsidized industry in the United States. The Republicans want a smaller federal government, but farmers receive subsidies and tax credits every year. I've had difficulty finding the exact amounts, but corn is the most subsidized crop (because of ethanol and junk food). From what I remember on all of the different websites I was looking at, it's around $10 billion per year (though they got rid of the big tax credit last year). Nebraska receives the 5th most $. And in case anyone's wondering, agriculture is 7% of Nebraska's economy. That might be why not a lot of people think it's important.

I don't really know how I feel about it. On the one hand it helps Nebraska and people that I personally know, on the other hand I don't like that it goes towards creating crappy food. I also don't know how good ethanol is as a fuel source, since it takes quite a lot of oil to make it.

• Fire 1

I realize people have different priorities. There are things I side with the Republicans on and things I side with the Democrats on. But farming is the most subsidized industry in the United States. The Republicans want a smaller federal government, but farmers receive subsidies and tax credits every year. I've had difficulty finding the exact amounts, but corn is the most subsidized crop (because of ethanol and junk food). From what I remember on all of the different websites I was looking at, it's around $10 billion per year (though they got rid of the big tax credit last year). Nebraska receives the 5th most $. And in case anyone's wondering, agriculture is 7% of Nebraska's economy. That might be why not a lot of people think it's important.

I don't really know how I feel about it. On the one hand it helps Nebraska and people that I personally know, on the other hand I don't like that it goes towards creating crappy food. I also don't know how good ethanol is as a fuel source, since it takes quite a lot of oil to make it.

Good question. I suspect that the average farmer believes that the Democrat party is more concerned with urban areas and minorities who live there. Back when the Democrats were the party of the Klan, most southern farmers were Democrats too, but as the Democrats moved away from the racism of the day, farmers moved away from the party. What I find interesting is the way the average farmer will rant and rave about welfare in the cities while he's busy pocketing money derived from subsidies or from conservation programs (land banks). Now, the other side of the coins is that farming is one heck of a gamble (this year is a good example), but they have guarantees in place. Democrats love farmers when the crop is good and U.S. corn and wheat are shipped around the world to feed those people incapable of raising a crop - for whatever reason. I am a very conservative voter, but I'd rather see food go to feed people than to ship arms overseas when U.S. interests do not clearly demand it. But I also think it's amusing that the liberals hate ethanol because its production takes food out of the mouths of foreigners who need it. I pause and feel a tiny bit of guilt when I fill up with 10% ethanol. One other thought - farming is too much work for me. That dawn to dusk thing leaves me cold.

That's an interesting question. If you increased the scope to rural America in general, social issues are definitely part of the answer. Many of us live on farms, or in small towns, or grew up there. My take on 18 years of it thinking back is there's a sense of creeping death. Family farms are declining, towns are declining, kids leave for the cities and don't come back. I can understand the us vs. them mentality if you feel your way of life is under attack. There also has to be a mentality that the government services / benefits I receive, I earned paying taxes, but most everyone else is probably freeloading. Maybe that's right to some extent since farmers pay a lot of property taxes and income taxes when times are good.

Also, perhaps since farming tends to be a generational occupation, I also think the diversity of people and opinions is not very large. A kid growing up in the suburbs of NYC is probably not dreaming of being a corn farmer, and even if he wanted to, the entry barrier to owning your own operation is impossibly steep. Maybe at best you could do some sort of small scale organic farming.

Because wasteful government spending is what is done in someone else's district.

:blink:

• Fire 2

‎7% of Nebraska's economy is provided by one half of one percent of it's people. In the Holdrege and Axtell area 85% of all school funding is paid for by that one half percent of the people through their land taxes------the subsidy does not even begin to pay half of what we spend just to educate the other 99,5%

I've often thought about this very subject and I always figured that maybe it had something to do with education level. From personal experience people with a GED or high school education tend to have more conservative view points but I think that's just a lazy assumption. I think Krill was on to something with the generational thing and diversity, and I think it could have some relation to education as well. Most kids who grow up on a farm or a small town and choose to continue their education are probably going to go to a community college where there isn't going to be a great amount of diversity and by default diversity of opinions. But those who go to a larger university will meet people from different regions of the state, country, and even the world and they will be exposed to a great deal more. I'm not saying that's going to automatically change their views but it gives them the opportunity to learn new view points and different ways of thinking. Obviously if you stay home you're not going to know much more than what Mom, Dad, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe talk about so chances are you'll have common interest and view points. Same can be said for people from the city too.

Yay is this the "post stereotypes about people" thread?

Maybe you could point out where the stereotypes in the thread are.

Stereotypes - Republicans and Democrats don't like each other, there are farms in Nebraska, and most importantly, Moiraine is conflicted

And in case anyone's wondering, agriculture is 7% of Nebraska's economy.

I'm surprised that agriculture is not a bigger part of Nebraska's economy. I always thought Nebraska was more of an ag state.

And in case anyone's wondering, agriculture is 7% of Nebraska's economy.

I'm surprised that agriculture is not a bigger part of Nebraska's economy. I always thought Nebraska was more of an ag state.

I'm gonna say Ranching would make up a bigger percentage