Jordan Burroughs

Jordan Burroughs Creates Recruiting Ripple

Randy York's N-Sider

Released 08/14/2012; Courtesy: NU Media Relations

<snip>

Michaels mentioned how Burroughs grew up in New Jersey, competed for Nebraska and lived in Lincoln. “Since you’re going to be out of college for the next four years and not training in a college program, how are you going to be ready for Rio de Janeiro?” The next 10 words of this interview are as golden for Nebraska as the previous night was for Burroughs. “I still live and train full time in Lincoln, Nebraska,” Burroughs told Michaels. “My head coach at Nebraska (there’s that word again), Mark Manning, has been my personal coach for the last two years, so I train a lot with the college guys and I’m back and forth between there and Colorado Springs where Zeke Jones and the national team trains. It’s a lot of training, and a lot different in technique, but it works for me.”

LINK

Great article form Randy's N-Sider. They do a good job of explaining how NU helps former Huskers training for the Olympic and other international competitions. :thumbs:

• 5 months later...

Posted on Facebook yesterday...

Today is a sad day for the sport of wrestling not just in the US, but worldwide. The sport we've grown to love, that has battle tested our wills and hardened our ears has been removed from the Olympics starting in 2020. The host city is still unknown, but one thing we do know is that at this point, wrestling won't be there. As an Olympic Gold Medalists I feel an obligation to fight for the sport that I love most. I wouldn't be who I am if I allowed this to end without a fight. We have to rally. It may be out of our reach, but trying never hurt. We have to protect the sport that I've done since the age of 5, the sport that molded me into a man, and turned a 45 pound toddler, into a 163 pound champion. The outcry on all social media networks is evident. #SaveOlympicWrestling trended on Twitter today, and I've received many messages demanding I do something. I have. I guess my performance in London wasn't enough. I suppose the months I spent inspiring kids to chase their dreams after my victory fell on deaf ears. Deaf IOC ears at least. At the end of the day I just keep thinking, "why wrestling?" The Olympics are going in a different direction they've stated. I feel a bit helpless, vulnerable, and at the mercy of the IOC. Not to belittle the significance of any other event, but wrestling is an original. We were here first. 26 out of 27 Olympics to be exact. Wrestling is thriving at the midget level, in a sport that was said to be dying. After all the college program cuts, we showed signs of life in our success and support on every level. Then; Boom. Gone. I first heard the news in a German airport today during a layover. Olympic Wrestling is gone for now, and Rio is it's curtain call. I'm hoping and praying for the best. I will do my share in protecting not only my dream, but every little wrestlers dream worldwide. Still, if wrestling is axed, it will be tough to look kids in the eye for the rest of my life and tell them that they can't follow their dreams anymore, they're no longer Olympic hopefuls. They've lost to an opponent that they've never had a shot against. One that's never even worn a headgear. The IOC. Heartbroken.

-Jordan Burroughs

Manning having access to some of our countries top wrestlers with his position with USA Wrestling also helps majorly.

I was stopped by the dad of one of our incoming recruits (didn't catch the name) in the parking lot of the Olympic Training Center last summer. He saw my big Husker N on the back of my car and talked to me for a little bit. Apparently his son was there for some national camp that USA Wrestling was hosting. He was very excited to see a fellow Husker fan in Colorado.

Anyways, he said that his son's connection with Manning was the big reason he was going to Nebraska.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...