TV HELP

Bigger is not necessarily better. It depends on the size of the room you are putting it in, and what you viewing distance will be (this part is huge when it comes to 720 vs 1080)

First the resolution. Only Blu-Ray players and computers really take advantage of 1080p. Your cable/sat box doesn't really. TV shows and sports are shot in 720p is the reason. If you are going to be sitting over 7 or 8 feet away, the human eye also can not tell the difference between the resolutions at that distance.

Second is the tech. Once you cross 42 inches, just scratch LCD off you list, It is inferior tech, and to get the picture quality and refresh rates where you want them, there is no point to spend that kind of money. LCDs are backlit. Meaning there is a giant white light behind the screen. The screen for all intents and purposes is like a stained glass window that shows the picture, and the backlight is the sun shinning through. Also, while it is getting better, LCDs also have the most limited viewing angle. If you have a wide room and have a lot of people over to watch the Huskers, the ones sitting on the edges of the room may get a substantially worse picture.

Plasma is going to be far and away your best size to dollar buy. Plasma sets won't have a refresh rate listed, because the tech is different. Plasmas will never have motion blur/ghosts. They also get much better blacks (hence contrast) because they are not backlit like LCDs. Plasma TV's actual pixels generate the light, so no backlighting to bleed through. Samsung and Panasonic both make great sets. Mine is a 50' Panasonic Viera, and I love it. The sales guys may try to feed you a massive pile of crap using the words "Burn In" Burn in does not exists on good brands for the last several years. They may say something along the lines of "video games will ruin the tv with permanent images left over" Ten years ago this was an issue. The official line from Panasonic is "If you didn't worry about it with a tube TV, don't worry about it with our plasmas." Now you will get a little 'image retention' like the bottom line from ESPN showing for a couple seconds after you change the channel and get a black screen, but as soon as the picture changes color and moves it will be gone. They may try to scare you into a pricier LED set. The biggest drawback of a Plasma, is they are heavy. My 50' tips the scale at about 95 pounds. This is due to the screen being two panes of glass instead of plastic. You also can never transport one laying down flat, or you run a risk of cracking the screen.

Lastly LED. LED sets do have some of the best pictures out there and the tech is more like plasma in that the screen makes the light instead of a backlight, and they are also very light and thin. The drawback is the tend to be much more expensive than other techs at the same size.

All that said, I would recommend a Samsung or Panasonic Plasma.

Thanks man! I will definitely consider your advice. It looks like I may be getting a 45 to 50" Samsung LED or Plasma. Thanks a bunch for the info!

720p and 1080i are the same for the resolution, for all intents and purposes. The letter matters. p = progressive scan, i = interlaced. And 1080i really are not made anymore. 720p and 1080p are the spot where there is a difference.

To nitpick, 720p and 1080i aren't the same thing, and there is a discernible difference, depending on who is providing the channel, the method of compression, and what you're broadcasting for.

You're right that 720p is used for sports, and that's because 1080p broadcast hasn't been adopted yet and 1080i has a lot of artifacts for fast-moving events (e.g. Sports). However, for movies, 1080i is more than discernible (if you have a quality TV provider and television set) from 720p, and most HD channels are broadcast natively in 1080i (MSNBC, Fox News, CNN, BBC America, any of the Kabletown channels (e.g. Syfy, USA), TBS, HD Net Movies, AXS TV, off the top of my head).

Also, if you're not seeing a difference, then also check your cable box/DVR--you could be automatically down converting. This happened to me until I found out how to 'fix' my DVR (via service menu) to allow native passthrough.

The buyer needs to be sure that their TV can handle 1080i, as most of the non-sports cable channels outside of the Disney stable are broadcast in 1080i. It may not be a big deal for the OP, since I would presume he's a sports fan, but the Mrs. may not appreciate a washed-out mess watching a 1080i channel on a TV that half-assed their 1080i processing.

The effective resolution is the same. It has to do with how the set draws the picture. Progressive scan draws it in a left to right method like quickly puling a sheet of paper out, almost like a flip book. Interlaced draws the picture in a combination of horizontal and vertical passes like old tube TVs. It ends up being a very far cry from true 1080p. And unless you actually plan on sitting a few feet back from the set, the eye can't tell the difference at any rate. And its a moot point even, as last time I was helping TV shop, 1080i sets are not even sold new anymore.

Every TV I have ever seen handles 1080i just fine. I have heard numerous issues with sets with 1080i native res having issues with 720p and 1080p. Processing can be an issue in general on crumby brands like Coby, or Westinghouse. As long as he's sticking with a major brand, like Samsung and Panasonic (Sony is another good brand, though pricey, Vizeo seems to get solid reviews also) that have been getting the most recommendations

Nothing wrong with Vizio. Had my 37" for years, it's LCD, and it's always worked like a champ with great picture.

Upgraded to a 70" Sharp recently. No complaints there. Picture is Sharp. Pun totally intended. I feel like Barney Stensen when i fire it up at night, it's so freaking bright. The 3D works great, though I've noticed some movies didn't do as good a job on the 3D production on Bluray, when it comes to 3D you really need to take what you are watching and who made it into consideration. I've got video games that look FANTASTIC in 3D, and some look aweful, same with movies.

Remember you will have this TV for years, so get something you really want. Don't hold out if you find something that's a little more expensive than what you planned on spending, in a year or so you might look back and wish you would have coughed up the extra dough.

Another thing, when you're at NFM, if you buy a new TV, ask them about getting a deal on a TV stand, or subwoofer, or extra 3D glasses. You can save hundreds if you pick up accessories at the same time.

Get the free delivery, and if they say they can't get it to you when you want it, be persistent. My salesman called the delivery guys and managed to get it to me the next day. They delivered the TV, stand, subwoofer, but somehow forgot the chics and booze. Oh well, you can't get everything...

Have fun and good luck!

Another thing I forgot about is never buy cables like HDMI from the store. Anybody who's done there home work knows they are ridiculously overpriced and there really isn't much difference between them. You can get them for under $10 at websites like monoprice.com.

Or you can do what I do and go on eBay for stuff like that. I got 2 HDMI cables about a year ago for about 2 bucks.

• 1 month later...

You make a purchase yet Chaddy?

Hell friggin no. Been spending way too much money on Husker related stuff such as tickets, beer and food for games, etc. It adds up quick. And now I have to start worrying about student loans because my 6-month grace period is ending soon. It sucks, but I'll prob look at purchasing a TV around Christmas, yet I'll prob. have to buy it by applying for a NEB Furniture Mart card (Luckily, I have sweet credit). I just don't want to give myself too many liabilities like already have. Once I land a new job, my financial situation will get a lot better. I appreciate all the advice and information in this forum.

I really want a new TV for watching games and playing video games (I have an xbox).

I think NEB Furn. Mart had some deals going on with their furniture and TV's back in August (24 month no interest financing), yet I didn't take advantage of it because I was buying up Husker tickets lol. I've spent the past 4 years working weekends at Kellogg's and missing out on Husker games. I really wanted to take advantage of the moment and go to a few games since I have the weekends off now.

Hell friggin no. Been spending way too much money on Husker related stuff such as tickets, beer and food for games, etc. It adds up quick. And now I have to start worrying about student loans because my 6-month grace period is ending soon. It sucks, but I'll prob look at purchasing a TV around Christmas, yet I'll prob. have to buy it by applying for a NEB Furniture Mart card (Luckily, I have sweet credit). I just don't want to give myself too many liabilities like already have. Once I land a new job, my financial situation will get a lot better. I appreciate all the advice and information in this forum.

I really want a new TV for watching games and playing video games (I have an xbox).

I think NEB Furn. Mart had some deals going on with their furniture and TV's back in August (24 month no interest financing), yet I didn't take advantage of it because I was buying up Husker tickets lol. I've spent the past 4 years working weekends at Kellogg's and missing out on Husker games. I really wanted to take advantage of the moment and go to a few games since I have the weekends off now.

Around late Oct to early November, you can Google "black friday ads" and start checking out some of the Black Friday deals. If you're not into the whole standing in line for hours on end in the wee hours of the morning, a lot of merchants (Best Buy, Walmart, etc) will have Online deals only.

• 5 weeks later...

Around late Oct to early November, you can Google "black friday ads" and start checking out some of the Black Friday deals. If you're not into the whole standing in line for hours on end in the wee hours of the morning, a lot of merchants (Best Buy, Walmart, etc) will have Online deals only.

Be very careful of the Black Friday Tv's. They are made just for that day. In other words, it may have a name you will recognize, but it will definitely be their lowest end models. You will notice if you google any of the Black Friday tv models, about the only information you will get, is a direct link back to WalMart or where ever you seen it.

Wait again for the 18,24 ir eveb 36 month financing if money is tight. They happen all of the time. Best Buy has these incentives quite often.

As far as the tv goes I will swear by Samsung, best LCD on the market, followed by Panasonic. Here is something that a lot of people dont know, but a Sony tv is a Samsung tv that didn't meet Samsung standards. Historically Samsung has made Sony LCD displays.

On another note, if you have DirecTv, they do broadcast a ton of pay-perview movies in Blueray. No cable or Dish can do that. So a 1080p is a great choice for this and for PS3 games.

Samsung plasma has the highest failure rate of any tv on the market, just a hair worse than the insignia's and other no name tv's. Samsung's other technologies scored well. Panasonic is your best bet in plasma, but not in LED. Personally sharp has vastly improved and the quality is there in the better sets, best bang for the buck. And I would go 55" or bigger I still regret not doing it. Even my wife doesn't think our 50 seems that big any more.

• 6 months later...

Be very careful of the Black Friday Tv's. They are made just for that day. In other words, it may have a name you will recognize, but it will definitely be their lowest end models. You will notice if you google any of the Black Friday tv models, about the only information you will get, is a direct link back to WalMart or where ever you seen it.

Wait again for the 18,24 ir eveb 36 month financing if money is tight. They happen all of the time. Best Buy has these incentives quite often.

As far as the tv goes I will swear by Samsung, best LCD on the market, followed by Panasonic. Here is something that a lot of people dont know, but a Sony tv is a Samsung tv that didn't meet Samsung standards. Historically Samsung has made Sony LCD displays.

On another note, if you have DirecTv, they do broadcast a ton of pay-perview movies in Blueray. No cable or Dish can do that. So a 1080p is a great choice for this and for PS3 games.

Thanks for advice Thor. I have always been a fan of Samsung