Imani Cross's ability.

I don't think it matters how slow he looks as long as he keeps getting 4-5 yards per carry. Before he ever took a snap we knew he was big. Did anyone really expect him to look fast?

I think he'll get faster with knowledge of the offense and confidence. He was patient in he waited for the holes to open up, but lacked that explosiveness to create a hole when it was taking too long. He'll get there, it was his first game and he did well given the amount of time he played.

I was impressed with Cross' ability in his limited action today. I thought he looked a tad slow relative to what I had seen throughout the game, but then I had to remind myself that on Friday night I watched a bruising back named Le'Veon Bell not exactly burning up the field with track speed, but that didn't stop him from piling up 200+ yards and 2 scores. I will certainly enjoy watching his progression in the program.

I think he was more tentative than slow. He'll hit the holes faster with experience. I didn't see the whole game but the holes weren't always there but he still gained yards. I thought he played well from what I saw. Announcers said he did 41 pull ups. Impressive arm strength so he should be able to hold onto the ball.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I had to chuckle a little. He did something that End-Zone (EZ) Jones did when he was a freshmen, juke defenders that weren't there. Just shows that he had a lot going through his mind. He will settle in. Reminds me of a Cross between Czonka and Riggins.

The pad popping is a good observation & sign. On his first run you could hear it on TV. That's always impressive. He's going to be a bruiser and I also like how he falls forward for yardage. Little things that add up. I agree that he needs to stay north south as much as possible. Go horizontal and he loses his advantage.

I think he's got a lot of potential. I'm just afraid he's too buried in the depth chart to get much out of this year. Yes, IF Rex misses a lot of time it might be different but this is way to early in the year to be playing a potential redshirt on an "if". Assuming Rex is back (even if it's after missing a game or two), AA looks to have a lock on the #2 spot and Heard looked good as well. I'd say that might leave 25-30 carries for the year for Cross. Not enough to warrant shorting him a year.

I think he was more tentative than slow. He'll hit the holes faster with experience. I didn't see the whole game but the holes weren't always there but he still gained yards. I thought he played well from what I saw. Announcers said he did 41 pull ups. Impressive arm strength so he should be able to hold onto the ball.

This...^^^^

The jump from high school to D1 is like going to warp speed for a freshman. As soon as he learns to process the information faster he'll be able to react to what is happening and the game will slow down. I liked how he kept his legs churning and made yardage after first contact. An arm tackle won't bring him down. I think we have a good one

He appears to be the type of kid that will be a real war horse for us. He just looks like he's going to be one of those backs that defenses are going to absolutely dread facing in the 4th quarter. There's a ton of potential there, and I'm pretty jacked up about his future. Good job in getting him to come to Nebraska. Now let's get a boatload more like him.

Holy....

I'll guarantee you Cross isn't near as fast as Dan Alexander. At top speed anyway. LINK

But Imani looked very impressive for a true frosh. Don't see a true frosh RB play in his first game at NU very often. And Imani is a nice change-up from Abdulah. The guy is a bull.

He might not have looked fast, but when he hit the pile it moved. I agree with the above, first game, freshman, wanting to make the most of his chance tentative not slow.

He also appeared to be waiting for the holes to open up and was following his blocks. Kid is a beast and will be needed. Glad to see Bo getting some of the guys playing experience sooner than later