Game Review
24NebraskavsGeorgia19
January 01, 2014 | 11:00 AM | ESPN2
Game Preview
Nebraskavs.Florida Atlantic
A warm welcome to our visiting Owls fans!
August 30, 2014 | 2:30 PM | BTN
A Huskerboard Cause: Walk for Children
- - - - -

ESPN Announcers

• You cannot reply to this topic
110 replies to this topic

#1 Hooked on Huskers

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

I watched the tape of the game. Any thoughts, in particular female P-B-P announcer ? (Beth). How about another guy (Galloway) ?

You remember p-b-p Pam Ward? She was at least tolerable but for some reason, bumped. In other words, Pam was much more knowledgably than Beth IMO.
CLICK ON HUSKERS SCHEDULES, STANDINGS, ODDS, RANKINGS AND RESULTS FROM 2001 TO 2017
Huskers Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane

#2 Nobody

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

both of the people who called yesterday's game are idiots.

Posted Image

2 0 1 3: 9-4

Wyoming | Southern Miss | UCLA | SDSU | Illinois | Purdue | Minnesota | Northwestern | Michigan | Michigan St | Penn State | Iowa | B1G Championship | Gator Bowl: Georgia

#3 TaraTony

Scout Team

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yeah, Beth Mowins needs to stick to calling womens sporting events...just saying. I watched the majority of the game on "mute", just like last week.

#4 krc1995

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

it was aweful. Go back through the game thread

#5 Hooked on Huskers

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

Yeah, Beth Mowins needs to stick to calling womens sporting events...just saying. I watched the majority of the game on "mute", just like last week.

me too. The audio was NU radio (Matt Davison)
CLICK ON HUSKERS SCHEDULES, STANDINGS, ODDS, RANKINGS AND RESULTS FROM 2001 TO 2017

#6 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

I'm not a fan of Mowins. There are other female broadcasters I've listened to, but there's something about her that gets under my skin aesthetically. She tries to sound like male broadcasters and it comes off a little disjointing.

I don't have a problem with women broadcasters doing male sports, but this lady bothers me.
fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

Posted Image

#7 huskered17

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,298 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Bet you didn't know that the stadium on game day was the 2nd biggest city in Neb, according to her. :o She is sure not the best, they could have sent for this game.
I caught a glimpse of that booster, that JP got into it with. Just after the first TD, I think. Anyone else catch that. Couldn't tell if he was on the side line, but looked like he was.

GBR!!!

#8 Hooked on Huskers

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Bet you didn't know that the stadium on game day was the 2nd biggest city in Neb, according to her. :o She is sure not the best, they could have sent for this game.

GBR!!!

Omaha Iowa ?

#9 mwj98

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

I really didn't pay attention....I was so wound up in the game. My wife however, said, "I can't take too much of her voice". And my wife wasn't really watching the game.

#10 Decked

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I couldn't even count how many times Beth said the wrong player made a tackle. Also apparently Nebraska shrunk in size or Lincoln grew. I have no problem with woman announcers but the best person man or female should announce. She is horrible!

3-SS_zpsad1388c6.jpg#TeamDexel

Through these gates walk the politest, least intimidating fans ever. Also, knitting enthusiasts.

#11 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

I couldn't even count how many times Beth said the wrong player made a tackle. Also apparently Nebraska shrunk in size or Lincoln grew. I have no problem with woman announcers but the best person man or female should announce. She is horrible!

In her defense, I've been up in the top-most skybox before (that's where UNL has it's student-run radio station that call the games) - it is NOT easy, by any means, to see who is making a play or tackle. It's very challenging.

That said, she works for ESPN, their booth is on the sixth floor (KRNU is on the seventh), and I'm pretty sure they have camera access in their booth, although I'm not for sure on this.

Posted Image

#12 tschu

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

"John Papoopis"

tschu52small_zpsadf5d69c.png18-WR.jpg46.jpgeric1001.jpgeric1002.jpgeric1003.jpgeric1004.jpgeric1006.jpgeric1005.jpgeric1007.jpg

#13 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

"John Papoopis"

That's a pretty good one. I also heard Todd McShay say "Raheem" Abduallah. It was in a short video on ESPN talking about Pelini having to leave the game.

Posted Image

#14 Blackshirts007

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

"John Papoopis"

That's a pretty good one. I also heard Todd McShay say "Raheem" Abduallah. It was in a short video on ESPN talking about Pelini having to leave the game.

Ya I heard that. I remember Beth had a quote "and Taylor Martinez runs into the touchdown...end zone". And I'm also not a fan of African American reporters who have a thick accent and don't talk professionally. I remember one he said toward the end on Imani's run "that defense is spent, man Beth you coulda ran through dem holes" it just doesn't sound professional.
Posted Image Posted Image

#15 husker B-rent

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

i couldnt stand her. tyler martinez? papoopich? mistake after mistake. very unprepared. and sounded like a dude at first but towards the end started to trend back to a chick voice. wtf?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted Image THIS THREAD IS ARCHIVED AND DOES NOT ALLOW REPLIES Posted Image -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#16 husker rob

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

what do you expect from ESPN. ESPN sucks
Posted Image
sig created by miamiihrrcns2001

"We'll see who brings it and who don't, that's when the skirts lift up."
Eric Martin

#17 Klondike Cat

Scout Team

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

I personally thought they both did okay. Galloway did annoy me some with some of his commentary on the replay about whether the ball touched the kick returner. All and all, neither of them annoyed me for the most part and seemed reasonably competent.

Of course, I was at a game party and wasn't listening and evaluating the announcing carefully. Those are just my general impressions.

#18 Comish

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

That's why it was important for KLIN to sync the radio broadcasts with TV. Although, for some reason the first 5-10 minutes are not but when they get it in sync it is the best of both worlds..........local announcers who know the team and the muted visuals on the screen.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is."

Chuck Reid

#19 krc1995

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

That's why it was important for KLIN to sync the radio broadcasts with TV. Although, for some reason the first 5-10 minutes are not but when they get it in sync it is the best of both worlds..........local announcers who know the team and the muted visuals on the screen.

I doubt if they can do that. I can't even get both of the tv's in my house synched.

#20 Nobody

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

"John Papoopis"

Ya I heard that. I remember Beth had a quote "and Taylor Martinez runs into the touchdown...end zone". And I'm also not a fan of African American reporters who have a thick accent and don't talk professionally. I remember one he said toward the end on Imani's run "that defense is spent, man Beth you coulda ran through dem holes" it just doesn't sound professional.

come on. how about people with thick accents who don't speak professionally... unless you can tolerate people of any any race who talk like that, just not the african american ones.

Posted Image

2 0 1 3: 9-4

Wyoming | Southern Miss | UCLA | SDSU | Illinois | Purdue | Minnesota | Northwestern | Michigan | Michigan St | Penn State | Iowa | B1G Championship | Gator Bowl: Georgia

#21 Roxy15

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

She drove me up the wall listening to her broadcast the game! She got to talking about drought and popcorn drought????? I think she said...when I listen to a football game..I just want men broadcasting it..not women! She was the pitts big time!

#22 California Husker

All American

• Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

First let me say that nobody is worse than Cunningham...

That being said, I laughed out loud when Galloway said that: "Arkansas State went for it on fourth and eight from their own 50". WTF? Did he ever play Canadian football?

#23 NUance

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

"John Papoopis"

Ya I heard that. I remember Beth had a quote "and Taylor Martinez runs into the touchdown...end zone".

I got a chuckle out of the tackle by John Ankrah. :lol:
Just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came. And the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
Posted Image

#24 RedDenver

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

I caught a glimpse of that booster, that JP got into it with. Just after the first TD, I think. Anyone else catch that. Couldn't tell if he was on the side line, but looked like he was.

GBR!!!

What's going on with JP and a booster?

And the announcer were even worse than last week's Fox crew.

#25 Moiraine

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

Like I've said several times in other threads, it annoys the crap out of me that when they do use a female announcer, they find one that sounds like a man. What's the point of being "diverse" and using a girl announcer if she sounds that way? Get a knowledgeable woman who sounds like a woman or don't bother. I'm not offended by only hearing male announcers.

#26 ShawnWatson

All American

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

It's ANCHORMAN not anchor lady, and that is a scientific fact.

#27 Roxy15

All American

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

I am trying to remember the man who used to broadcast on the radio husker games..I think he used to say "Man Woman & Child" when the huskers made great plays. I always liked to hear him announcing games:) Just wish they would get some better announcers and preferably not women announcers. I don't care if she would know about football...I want a man with knowledge to broadcast the games and not a whiny voice...I don't care for women announcers period! I felt like making her some cookies and putting laxatives in it so she would have to leave and not hear her for the rest of the game:)

#28 HeyBurke

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

I don't have a problem with female announcers, but I cannot stand any announcer (male or female) with an annoying voice. Beth Mowins is a prime example of that. I know Erin Andrews has commentated some games and she not only doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard, but she's also very knowledgeable about every game she does.

#29 HeyBurke

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

I am trying to remember the man who used to broadcast on the radio husker games..I think he used to say "Man Woman & Child" when the huskers made great plays. I always liked to hear him announcing games:) Just wish they would get some better announcers and preferably not women announcers. I don't care if she would know about football...I want a man with knowledge to broadcast the games...I don't care for women announcers period! I felt like making her some cookies and putting laxatives in it so she would have to leave and not hear her for the rest of the game:)

Lyle Bresmer.

#30 Blackshirt316

All American

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

The biggest issue I have with Galloway is that he should know more about the X's and O's and go into some of that.. he barely even speaks half the time.

And then when he does speak every 3rd sentance is basically just repeating something he said the last time he spoke.

#31 kozzman555

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

John Ankrah, Matt Berkley (Barkley), Tyler Martinez, Memorial Stadium being the 2nd biggest city in Nebraska, Josh Mitchell tackling one of our offensive guys (when Arky St was on defense??) Raheem Abdullah and many others. The announcing was atrocious and I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed. And yes, her voice is annoying as hell. I'm swear I'm muting the game the next time I see her. Is there any way we can make an official complaint against ESPN for having her as the announcer? Has to be some sort of obscenity violation.....
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

-Benjamin Franklin

Posted Image

#32 Roxy15

All American

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for refreshing my memory:) He was good:)

#33 TaraTony

Scout Team

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

Oh, and another thing, if ESPN or ABC go to the National Roller Skating Museum again, I'm gonna puke!

#34 California Husker

All American

• Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

Oh, and another thing, if ESPN or ABC go to the National Roller Skating Museum again, I'm gonna puke!

Hey, Hey, Hey!!! Watch your mouth (uh, fingers?), that roller skating museum footage is priceless :sarcasm

#35 Flood

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

I'm a fan of good announcing, regardless of age, race, gender, sexual preferences, or any other facet.

That was not good announcing.

Is the stereotype reality? Do these female announcers sound all gruff because they think that's what male sports fans want? I would certainly prefer a feminine voice over that, but the quality of work means more to me in the end.

#36 Comish

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

At least they are not Fox trying to pretend Erin Andrews has the wherewithall to be the studio hostess..............

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is."

Chuck Reid

#37 totengur

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

I watched the tape of the game. Any thoughts, in particular female P-B-P announcer ? (Beth). How about another guy (Galloway) ?

You remember p-b-p Pam Ward? She was at least tolerable but for some reason, bumped. In other words, Pam was much more knowledgably than Beth IMO.

i did play by play for awhile as a career.

And from my experiences i can say with out a doubt there are very few Announcers ESPN has i even listen too. i usually listen too the games with the sound muted beings the Announcing gets so bad.

It makes me miss Keith Jackson more than i probably should.

#38 HUSKER 37

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 8,446 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

I am trying to remember the man who used to broadcast on the radio husker games..I think he used to say "Man Woman & Child" when the huskers made great plays. I always liked to hear him announcing games:) Just wish they would get some better announcers and preferably not women announcers. I don't care if she would know about football...I want a man with knowledge to broadcast the games...I don't care for women announcers period! I felt like making her some cookies and putting laxatives in it so she would have to leave and not hear her for the rest of the game:)

Lyle Bresmer.

Close

LYELL BREMSER TRANSCRIPTS

http://www.huskermax.com/lyell/

And Roxy..I'm a little shocked to find out you'd slip someone a mickey..

#39 HUSKER 37

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 8,446 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

I really didn't pay attention....I was so wound up in the game. My wife however, said, "I can't take too much of her voice". And my wife wasn't really watching the game.

My 11 year old son said the same thing..It even got me wondering if I had a problem with female announcers..(I hope not).
I replied that I felt like I should be watching a Wermans' tennis match.

Maybe there are just too many games on television? (And that's all we rate right now).

Naaaaahh!

I was starting to get pissed at how much they were talking about Bo's possible visit to the gynocologist..er..Hospital/mystery sickness..

(I was concerned..but hoped the media would be more understanding about his privacy).

#40 irafreak

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,537 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

I didn't know Roxy posted in the football threads...I'm kinda at a loss here....

Anyway I couldn't believe how much the guy was harping on Arkst for not airing it out down 42-13 with 6 minutes left. Kept talking about having to take shots down the field. THEY WERE TRYING TO USE CLOCK!!! IT WAS OVER!
Disclaimer: Most of the time I mean nothing I say

#41 huKSer

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

My 11 year old son said the same thing..It even got me wondering if I had a problem with female announcers..(I hope not).
I replied that I felt like I should be watching a Wermans' tennis match.

Maybe there are just too many games on television? (And that's all we rate right now).

Naaaaahh!

I was starting to get pissed at how much they were talking about Bo's possible visit to the gynocologist..er..Hospital/mystery sickness..

(I was concerned..but hoped the media would be more understanding about his privacy).

Hospital spokesman with a clip board containing Mark Pelini's chart to ESPN reporter - "No sir, we have no Bo Pelini here"
"They should run a QB sneak. There's no reason to run anything that takes time to develop."
__________________---Ed Cunningham, football genius, comment 5 seconds before the longest pass in FBS bowl history.

#42 Blackshirts007

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

"John Papoopis"

come on. how about people with thick accents who don't speak professionally... unless you can tolerate people of any any race who talk like that, just not the african american ones.

I didn't mean to single out African American reporters, I just mean some of them have talk with slang and then also shortening of words like "dat, dem, gots to, etc" almost like "ghetto" talk. I would have the same feeling of a Hispanic talked like that, and didn't sound professional. Or any other race for that matter, if a white trash reporter talked like that I would feel that way too.

#43 tschu

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

B007,

So are you also not a fan of Dick Vitale? John Madden? John Gruden?

All guys who don't speak "professionally" yet have their own style that completely works for them and adds to the broadcast. You're coming off as prettttttty racist here.

tschu52small_zpsadf5d69c.png18-WR.jpg46.jpgeric1001.jpgeric1002.jpgeric1003.jpgeric1004.jpgeric1006.jpgeric1005.jpgeric1007.jpg

#44 Foppa

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Was there even a second half game broadcast? All I heard was how everyone and their dog at ESPN was trying to figure out what happened to Bo. Was Bo's condition important? Of course. Did ESPN have an obligation to continue the crappy broadcast they were spitting out? Yes, but they didn't and got even worse.

I know it's important for national TV recognition, but I hope the only time ESPN ever does NU again is prime time with Herby and Mushberger, and even then I'll cringe.

And Huskers.com didn't sync with the TV, otherwise I would've done that in a heartbeat.
"I don't apologize for what I've done, I don't apologize to you, I don't apologize to anybody." Bo Pelini 11-29-2013
"I apologize for reacting emotionally yesterday and for showing frustration both with the game officials and the media." Bo Pelini 11-30-2013

#45 strigori

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

The worst part about the announcing team was they were completely unprepared. And there is no excuse for that. Wrong names, wrong stats. Its just not professional. Its not like they have a massive work load the rest of the week. Watch some tape, and for F's sake, study you sheet of names and numbers. Calling the wrong guy on plays all the time is a joke.
All I know, is heroes come and villains go, just give the lunatic a chance.

#46 Hooked on Huskers

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Attention old fogey club. Remember that? No announcers at all.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5906858

#47 Blackshirts007

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

B007,

So are you also not a fan of Dick Vitale? John Madden? John Gruden?

All guys who don't speak "professionally" yet have their own style that completely works for them and adds to the broadcast. You're coming off as prettttttty racist here.

Have you ever watched the video of the guy who freaked out about a bug getting in his mouth and then he cussing up a storm?

#48 AF Husker Fan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

sorry BOO7 you're def sounding pretty racist
Posted Image

#49 cornhuskers4ever

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

The announcing of the game was very lackluster, They became newscasters when every two minutes in the second half of the game they said, "we will get you word into the condition of Bo Pelini". I wanted to kick myself in the head everytime the female announcer said, "Tyler Martinez" too.
Posted Image

Nebraska Football
It's Not Just an Attitude
It's a Tradition

#50 Peoriahusker

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

I mentioned this in the gameday thread...my wife walks into the living room 3 minutes into the game and the first thing she says is, " we suck so bad we now have a woman doing the play by play."....I had to laugh.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users