ESPN Announcers

My all-time favorites are definitely Keith Jackson and Pat Summerall. SEC footbawwww wouldn't be the same without Verne, but Verne is really only in his element when he is calling golf (which is sadly only for the Masters and the occasional US Open now) and the NCAA basketball tourney.

I always enjoyed Joel Meyers for some reason back when Nebraska had games on Fox Sports Net too.

My all-time favorites are definitely Keith Jackson and Pat Summerall. SEC footbawwww wouldn't be the same without Verne, but Verne is really only in his element when he is calling golf (which is sadly only for the Masters and the occasional US Open now) and the NCAA basketball tourney.

I always enjoyed Joel Meyers for some reason back when Nebraska had games on Fox Sports Net too.

Joel Meyers is the tv pbp guy for the lakers now

Comparing current day buffoons to the likes of Lyle Bremser or Keith Jackson really isn't fair. There will never be another era where somebody with Lyle's talent could even be fully appreciated. And, Keith Jackson, well those days are long gone. But, they sure do seem to scrape the bottom of the barrel for some of these play by play crews nowadays. It's almost unbearable if it's not the networks prime crew and most of those are not good either. Whoa Nelly.

actually, I never really figured out why people loved Keith Jackson.

Another thing to ask yourself is back when Keith Jackson was making a name for himself, how many games were shown on TV on a given Saturday? Maybe 3-5???? That means the networks could pick the top 3-5 people to do the broadcasting.

Now, ask yourself how many games are shown in any given WEEK. It's not only a full slate on Saturday on MANY different networks but they also have games on Thursday and Friday. Just think of how many games are televised on Saturday. I think there are three on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, CBS sports, NBC (ND), all the BigTen networks, PacTen networks, SEC networks, Texas Network...and on and on and on.

And, you expect to have top notch talent every single game?

I just don't understand people who sit there and listen to a game and bitch about the announcers constantly.

Yes, it was bad announcing, but I really can't believe no one has touched on the "fumble" when the punt hit Ameer's foot? Both announcers (and probably the refs?) failed geometry class. In View 1, it looked like the only place it would have hit him was his right foot. Then they go to the View 2, and it's easily a yard away from the only spot it could have possibly touched him. Galloway -- "It's gotta be indisputable evidence, and you can't judge by the shadows." As an engineer, I wanted to puke.

Plain and simple, you prepare for what you're doing. For those that do, it's noticable, and enjoyable, because the call and commentary reflect that. That's what Jackson and Bremser, and to a certain extent, Pavelka had. (On a side note, I'm glad to have Kent back for b-ball broadcasts. Think he does a good job with them.) That's what guys like Michaels, Costas, the Bucks, and Alberts have. I'm a big NASCAR fan, and both the FOX and ABC/ESPN crews have that. Put simply, they know the sport they're covering and know the parties involved very well.

Give me a local play-by-play guy, regardless of homerism, that has done at least some preparation for the current game, including prepping on the other team, and I'll take that anyday over generic announcers that have no clue about the sport they're covering or the teams involved, and basically are doing it because they're next up on the coverage list for the particular network that covers the game. It's the reason I've stopped listening to TV broadcaster, for the most part. Yes, I did get some bleedover, and did get to hear a little of what the TV announcers over the last few weeks have done. It was enough to convince me that my decision to have the computer on and have the headset on for the HSN broadcast was the right one. (I don't watch the game by myself, and others like to listen to the TV commentary, so I do it that way to give myself the freedom to listen to the radio broadcast, if anyone was wondering. :) )

Guess I don't consider calling Memorial Stadium the "second largest city" as oppposed to the "third largest city" an egregious blow to the enjoyment of a football game.

It definitely got my attention as a Lincoln native, but in the larger scheme it means so little.

And in the larger scheme, the announcing team assigned to Nebraska vs. Arkansas State at 9:00 a.m. will never be John Madden and Pat Summerall, and the 18th stringers they assigned did alright.

Do you guys like looking for typos in the newspaper, too?

Guess I don't consider calling Memorial Stadium the "second largest city" as oppposed to the "third largest city" an egregious blow to the enjoyment of a football game.

It definitely got my attention as a Lincoln native, but in the larger scheme it means so little.

And in the larger scheme, the announcing team assigned to Nebraska vs. Arkansas State at 9:00 a.m. will never be John Madden and Pat Summerall, and the 18th stringers they assigned did alright.

Do you guys like looking for typos in the newspaper, too?

two words. HIGH HORSE

I counted 52 games that will be televised this week. That means 104 people will be play by play or color broadcasters and you expect all of them to be as good as when only maybe 6-10 broadcasters were needed on any given week.

I dont think the expectations are that high, but for meh's sake, at least get the simple things correct. AMEER(not raheem) Abdullah, TAYLOR (not tyler) Martinez. Memorial is the 3RD largest city(not the 2nd). These are simple, and are mentioned during every Nebraska broadcast. No, I do not expect Keith Jackson every game, but good grief when it's this bad, it's gonna raise my brows a bit. I think that's all this thread for the most part is saying.

• Fire 2

I really don't think basic competence in broadcasting is too much to ask for. If your 'network' folks can't handle the job, there are plenty of localized people that will likely do the broadcast without a lot of problems, and likely won't have nearly the issues the 'netowrk' folks do. Give me a Kevin Kugler led broadcast team to handle a Husker game any day (although now he's likely less free-lance, considering he's supposedly going to be doing more for BTN, but it's just an example) over what we saw last weekend. There are ways to do this without the less than respectable coverage that was shown last weekend. For my taste, I'd include the weekend before, but FOX is tied into the PAC-12, so it was really more of a PAC-12 broadcast to begin with, and at that point, I'm not sure you're going to get the best coverage anyway. Excellence isn't required, but basic competence in the teams and the game should be. I think we see too little of that level of basic competence today.

My father-in-law and I talked about journalism in general a while back, and I liked his take on it. It seems we've lost some levels of competency regarding subject matter when we went to teaching journalism in journalism schools v. what we seemed to have prior, which was deciding what field you wanted to cover, going to school in that field, learning about that field, and then cutting your chops as a writer out in the field. His specific expertise is in business, and that's specifically what he was addressing, but I think to an extent it applies to sports as well. Learn your topic matter, then start covering it. Not saying you have to have played it, but at least get some basic levels of knowledge in the sport/about the team you're covering, and then cover them. This paragraph didn't come out quite as eloquently as I'd hoped, I know, but I think I got the basic point in there.