Hooked on Huskers

ESPN Announcers

Maybe I don't know. But couldn't UN leave a couple a pages of notes...history...trivia in the tv room with the announcers to use.

I know here UH will leave the announcers with local knowledge they can use during the game, so these issue don't come up

@808kcmo, you originally from Hawaii ?? If so how did you end up in KC.

clyde40    199

Yeah, Beth Mowins needs to stick to calling womens sporting events...just saying. I watched the majority of the game on "mute", just like last week.

You know, i have to admit, when i heard Beth talking, i thought it was a guy who hadn't hit puberty yet.

I was thinking Reba lol

BigRedBuster    7,690

I counted 52 games that will be televised this week. That means 104 people will be play by play or color broadcasters and you expect all of them to be as good as when only maybe 6-10 broadcasters were needed on any given week.

Count 'Bility    4,782

I counted 52 games that will be televised this week. That means 104 people will be play by play or color broadcasters and you expect all of them to be as good as when only maybe 6-10 broadcasters were needed on any given week.

I dont think the expectations are that high, but for meh's sake, at least get the simple things correct. AMEER(not raheem) Abdullah, TAYLOR (not tyler) Martinez. Memorial is the 3RD largest city(not the 2nd). These are simple, and are mentioned during every Nebraska broadcast. No, I do not expect Keith Jackson every game, but good grief when it's this bad, it's gonna raise my brows a bit. I think that's all this thread for the most part is saying.

I really don't think basic competence in broadcasting is too much to ask for. If your 'network' folks can't handle the job, there are plenty of localized people that will likely do the broadcast without a lot of problems, and likely won't have nearly the issues the 'netowrk' folks do. Give me a Kevin Kugler led broadcast team to handle a Husker game any day (although now he's likely less free-lance, considering he's supposedly going to be doing more for BTN, but it's just an example) over what we saw last weekend. There are ways to do this without the less than respectable coverage that was shown last weekend. For my taste, I'd include the weekend before, but FOX is tied into the PAC-12, so it was really more of a PAC-12 broadcast to begin with, and at that point, I'm not sure you're going to get the best coverage anyway. Excellence isn't required, but basic competence in the teams and the game should be. I think we see too little of that level of basic competence today.

My father-in-law and I talked about journalism in general a while back, and I liked his take on it. It seems we've lost some levels of competency regarding subject matter when we went to teaching journalism in journalism schools v. what we seemed to have prior, which was deciding what field you wanted to cover, going to school in that field, learning about that field, and then cutting your chops as a writer out in the field. His specific expertise is in business, and that's specifically what he was addressing, but I think to an extent it applies to sports as well. Learn your topic matter, then start covering it. Not saying you have to have played it, but at least get some basic levels of knowledge in the sport/about the team you're covering, and then cover them. This paragraph didn't come out quite as eloquently as I'd hoped, I know, but I think I got the basic point in there.

Maybe I don't know. But couldn't UN leave a couple a pages of notes...history...trivia in the tv room with the announcers to use.

I know here UH will leave the announcers with local knowledge they can use during the game, so these issue don't come up

@808kcmo, you originally from Hawaii ?? If so how did you end up in KC.

I believe the document your thinking of exist in the form of a media guide. (These are readily available in the booth - along with Internet access)

Joe_5700    208

i couldnt stand her. tyler martinez? papoopich? mistake after mistake. very unprepared. and sounded like a dude at first but towards the end started to trend back to a chick voice. wtf?

Hello! Does anyone remember Keith Jackson? He was the ultimate in name butchering!

Guy Chamberlin    3,916

Hire a local broadcasting team to announce the game and you will indeed have expert analysis and fine-tuned knowledge of one of the football programs involved.

Every broadcaster has a media guide, and that's where you get little factoids like how Memorial Stadium is the third largest city in Nebraska, which I believe has been repeated during every televised Husker home game since the dawn of time. Which made the screw up last week kinda funny. As if the factoid needed more hyperbole.

Should the announcers this week be slightly off on a factoid about Pocatello, Idaho I won't really know the difference and it won't affect my enjoyment of the football game. Assuming we're winnig.

BigRedBuster    7,690

Hire a local broadcasting team to announce the game and you will indeed have expert analysis and fine-tuned knowledge of one of the football programs involved.

Every broadcaster has a media guide, and that's where you get little factoids like how Memorial Stadium is the third largest city in Nebraska, which I believe has been repeated during every televised Husker home game since the dawn of time. Which made the screw up last week kinda funny. As if the factoid needed more hyperbole.

Should the announcers this week be slightly off on a factoid about Pocatello, Idaho I won't really know the difference and it won't affect my enjoyment of the football game. Assuming we're winnig.

You really watch away games that are broadcast by their local media people? You really want to sit and listen constantly to a homer point of view?

Guy Chamberlin    3,916

You really watch away games that are broadcast by their local media people? You really want to sit and listen constantly to a homer point of view?

No. That was my point.