Join the HuskerBoard Donor Team - Discounts on Tickets and Gear!

2013 Official Adidas Sideline Coaches Polo are N from HuskerNation.com!!! Discounts for all gear for HuskerBoard Donors!!!

- - - - -

We will win the big 10

74 replies to this topic

#1 huskerfan333157

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

As ive said before, the big 10 is incredibly weak and is probably the 5th best conference now. I think we are the second best team in the conference with Ohio State being first. Ohio State cant win the big 10, so that leaves us as being the best team in the conference. Michigan state has no offense, Wisconsin is too inconsistent and i believe our offense could score pretty easily against their defense, michigan might give us problems but i think our offense will outscore theirs, iowa isnt very good. I give us a 90 percent chance to win the conference, thoughts?

#2 kozzman555

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

My thought is to fix the title of your thread. And speaking of being inconsistent, I think we're in that boat as well.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

-Benjamin Franklin

Posted Image

#3 lionsfan93

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

90 percent chance? No, heck no. We are too inconsistent so far. I think we definitely have a good chance. Michigan will be very tough. If we win that game, I think we will win the conference. But we can't have anymore hiccups.
"We're ready to shock the world." -Taylor Martinez

#4 irieboy8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

i wouldnt get too far ahead of ourselves.. our team isnt exactly the model of consistency either..... a lot can happen and i think its just gonna come down to who gets the preverbial ball to bounce there way......
Posted Image

#5 Haspula

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

If we can control mobile QBs then i think we are the best in the league. However, since we can't, NW, Michigan, and OSU will be tough games
Posted Image

#6 308_Husker

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

I wouldn't look past Northwestern. They should be ranked this week. Fitzgerald is a phenomenal coach.

#7 lo country

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yesterday was a marked improvement for sure. We tackled much better. The only problem was the good tackling was generally after a several yard game. need to find a way to control the LOS and find a way to stop those screen passes. Better athletes will eat us alive on those plays. The D will continue to gel and improve (at least the LB and DB's). Unsure what to do about the DL. Maybe just continue to rotate the young guys in.

Offensively, IMO, depends on beck and his Jeckyl and Hyde play calling. If he continues to call plays that a) Martinez is comfortable with and b) are to the strengths of Martinez and the team we should be able to score a lot of points. Looking at UCLA, 30 points would generally win any game (at least the majority). With Rex back in a few, I would lean heavy on the run game with hydra RB depth that is our team ie Rex, AA, Heard, Cross, Marrow ARE YOU KIDDING me. Then throw in Reed, Bell, Enunwa, JT, and we are looking very explosive.

I think that we will continue to see an 8 man box until Martinez/Beck show that they can handle the pressure. We negate the pressure against a good D and you will see DC's start to sweat and crap themselves. Until then, plan for 8 in the box IMO. I hope Beck dials up some screens to get the ball to the backs in the flats or into the hands of JT. Kind of like the Wats O that was to throw to Lucky out of the flats. Imagine Enunwa on a screen or going in motion and catching a quick swing pass. he might injure a DB.

#8 HuskerMoon

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

All things considered. 43 % chance Nebraska wins the Legends division

#9 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

I think MSU is still the team to beat with that defense of theirs. If their offense acts like it has any idea what they're doing last night, they probably don't give up 20 points to ND.
fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

Posted Image

#10 HeyBakerMark

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

Doesn't really matter to me ... I think at the end of the year we have 4-5 teams that get bowl bids ... we lose all but one if not all and one team from the B1G is ranked inside the Top 25.

Maybe a question to ask on this thread is ... "Will there be any team in the B1G at the end of the season that does not have atleast three losses.

#11 BIG ERN

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

There should only be 3 games we have to worry about. Ohio State, Michigan, and Mich St. If we win 2 out of the 3 we have a damn good shot. Ohio St can't play, but they still give us a loss which would make the Mich and Mich St. games almost must wins. GET BACK TO WHERE WE LOST. That's the goal.
Posted Image Posted Image

#12 lionsfan93

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostEnhance89, on 16 September 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

I think MSU is still the team to beat with that defense of theirs. If their offense acts like it has any idea what they're doing last night, they probably don't give up 20 points to ND.

MSU really doesn't scare me. Their offense is just awful. Their defense if very good...but it takes points to win games.
"We're ready to shock the world." -Taylor Martinez

#13 Bye Bye Big XII

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I think we need to win one out of Ohio State or Michigan. We do that, we're going to win the division.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 PaulCrewe

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,862 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

I'll hold further judgment off until after the Wisconsin game.

But I will say this, other than the play of Braxton Miller Ohio state has looked VERY pedestrian on both sides of the ball. The last two Weeks they have been picked apart by some mediocre offenses
2014: THE INFLUX CONTINUES
FEAR THE DAY WALKERS!!!!!!!!

#15 irafreak

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,510 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

It's too early to write off the big 10. A lot of turnover this year and teams need time to figure how to fit their new pieces into the proper places. We see teams start slow all the time and finish strong. Is VaTech really that bad or is pitt starting to find their way? There are always teams you never want to play at the end of a season because they are on a roll. We'll see if having our tough games up front benefits or hurts us after the season.
Disclaimer: Most of the time I mean nothing I say

#16 huKSer

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

View Postlionsfan93, on 16 September 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

90 percent chance? No, heck no. We are too inconsistent so far. I think we definitely have a good chance. Michigan will be very tough. If we win that game, I think we will win the conference. But we can't have anymore hiccups.

90 percent chance, 50 percent of the time
"They should run a QB sneak. There's no reason to run anything that takes time to develop."
__________________---Ed Cunningham, football genius, comment 5 seconds before the longest pass in FBS bowl history.

#17 TonyStalloni

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

If tradition holds we will win one game we shouldn't and lose one game we shouldn't. If we can avoid that one bad loss (maybe UCLA is our bad loss) and win two on the road vs OSU and MSU then we'll be in good shape. Watch out for NW since the game is there and they usually sneak up on a few teams. Just take care of business week to week and live your destiny guys.

#18 Igetbored216

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

So, let me get this straight. A week ago, the sentiment on here was that this team was falling apart, the defense was horrible, and the Huskers would be lucky if they got bowl eligible. However, after beating a below average Arkansas St team, suddenly we will win the Big 10.

Oh, fans are great!
There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.

#19 HUSKER 37

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostIgetbored216, on 16 September 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

So, let me get this straight. A week ago, the sentiment on here was that this team was falling apart, the defense was horrible, and the Huskers would be lucky if they got bowl eligible. However, after beating a below average Arkansas St team, suddenly we will win the Big 10.

Oh, fans are great!

#20 nuhuskeralum

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Personally I think we have a shot to win the big 10, but also have a shot to lose against any of the teams mentioned. Lets take it one game at a time, the sky wasn't falling after UCLA and we aren't undefeatable after a good showing against Ark St.

#21 The Dude

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,537 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

I still expect Braxton and Denard to rush for upwards of a billion yards each.

Our defense played well against a pretty good offense, but a lot of the problems we saw in week 1 and 2 are still there.

If we lose to those two guys and we have another Northwestern let down, we'll need quite a bit of help to make it to Indy.
Posted Image
#Entitled

"Everything we've asked for, we've gotten." - Bo Pelini

#22 Kruzu

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

I like our chances with the conferences looking weak, but not holding my breath.

#23 Seriously?

Scout Team

• Banned
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

We knew the Big 10 was weak coming in, it always has been. Figured it would put us in the National Championship hunt on a yearly basis and it should but....................

#24 MichiganDad3

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

MSU and U of M both have to play OSU this year. The Legends title could end with a tie breaker.

#25 ADS

Legend

• Members
  • 10,875 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostPaulCrewe, on 16 September 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

But I will say this, other than the play of Braxton Miller Ohio state has looked VERY pedestrian on both sides of the ball. The last two Weeks they have been picked apart by some mediocre offenses

Their defense has looked quite shaky the last two games, especially their DB's and LB's.
Posted Image
Friend of ShawnWatson.

#26 PaulCrewe

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,862 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

View Postaspeedlin4589, on 16 September 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

View PostPaulCrewe, on 16 September 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

Their defense has looked quite shaky the last two games, especially their DB's and LB's.

Hankins and Simon are as good of a DT combo that you will find in the country, which makes the part about their LB play a little shocking. Totally agree with you. Add in the fact that they have continued struggling running the ball right down teams throats is also a tad alarming if I am a buckeye fan.
2014: THE INFLUX CONTINUES
FEAR THE DAY WALKERS!!!!!!!!

#27 ndobney

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

I am starting to wonder if any of the people that think MSU is tougher than Mich even watch football!!

#28 Danimal

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostMichiganDad3, on 16 September 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

MSU and U of M both have to play OSU this year. The Legends title could end with a tie breaker.

We also play OSU. From the way teams have looked so far I'd be a little surprised if there isn't a tie. Each team has shown strengths and weaknesses. Doubt anyone goes on a big run.

#29 huskered17

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,279 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:42 AM

I hope we become to Ohio St, what Texas was to us. A pain in the arse, that they can't beat.

GBR!!!

#30 lo country

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

We still have an alarming inability to stop a Mobile QB. We have 3 coming up. NW should be 7-0 when we travel to play them. We have a long road to go. We have shown an ability to "get up" for games as well as "let down" for games. I would like to see what we do against a better D before I think that our break down against UCLA was a fluke. Our D was night and day better Sat for sure. We just need to figure out a way to better control the LOS and not allow guys to get 3-4 yrds per carry making it 3rd and short every time. And te obvious, stop the easy screen and RB dump passes in the flats.

The upside, Bo realized we were lacking and has a few more weeks to tinker until conference play. Same with Beck's play calling and the comfort level of Martinez. Can't overlook the huge lift of Rex being back either.

#31 craigsker

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

At this point in the season this team is too inconsistent and makes way too many dumb mistakes to win the conference.

#32 NUance

Legend

• Members
  • 14,707 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

Nearly any team on our sched from here on out could possibly beat us--except maybe Idawhore State. We proved that last year. The four games below will be the biggest challenges. Especially the away games.

Wisconsin (home)
Ohio State (away)
Michigan (home)
Michigan State (away)

Still, we have a chance to win the B1G. Not 90%, but probably as good as any other team.
Posted Image Posted Image
Just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came. And the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

#33 FriendlyLurker2007

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

IF we can hold opponents under 30 points, i think this offense can put 30 on all the B1G teams....thats a big if tho....hope it works out :dunno
Don't mind me, I just have a case of "extreme captain obviousism"

#34 godd2

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

Remember we just played arkansas state. i realize they had a good last year in their division but that is not a BCS level division. our defense was better but against lesser talent. i would say we have about a 35% chance. ohio, michigan st, michigan are all still a huge challenge for us.

But i do like the positive thoughts!

#35 huskerfan333157

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

View Postlionsfan93, on 16 September 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

We are less inconsistent than the other big 10 games. The only team that is better and less consisten than us is Ohio State but they cant even compete in the big ten championship game.

#36 huskerfan333157

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostIgetbored216, on 16 September 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

Oh, fans are great!

Im not saying Nebraska is great but look at the rest of the big 10. Who has even looked good in the big ten? Thats right, NOBODY.

#37 deedsker

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

We still have to beat Northwestern!

Seriously? Who knew that they would be a prime candidate for the crown this year?
Posted Image

#38 cscott2win

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

When you are watching traditionally good programs struggling early in the year they progressively get better as the season plays out. The team that gets better quicker will prevail. As in Northwestern's case they seem to be firing on all cylinders at the moment but that might limit their upside as to improvments. I see a lot of potential in Lincoln and if they can button up some issues they will be a very hard team to beat. Remember they stunk it up to a UCLA team and still could have won it.

#39 Woody Tressel

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

I hope we become to Ohio St, what Texas was to us. A pain in the arse, that they can't beat.

The way our defense has been playing, that might just happen.
Football National Championships: 1942, 1954, 1957, 1961, 1968, 1970, and 2002 / Basketball National Championships: 1960 / Go Bucks!!!!
Posted Image

#40 robsker

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

View Posthuskerfan333157, on 16 September 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

As ive said before, the big 10 is incredibly weak and is probably the 5th best conference now. I think we are the second best team in the conference with Ohio State being first. Ohio State cant win the big 10, so that leaves us as being the best team in the conference. Michigan state has no offense, Wisconsin is too inconsistent and i believe our offense could score pretty easily against their defense, michigan might give us problems but i think our offense will outscore theirs, iowa isnt very good. I give us a 90 percent chance to win the conference, thoughts?

View Posthuskerfan333157, on 16 September 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

The B10 is incredibly weak and may be the 5th best conference (or, perhaps 4th). But NU will still not win the conference and is unlikely, I'd think, to even contend overly. Wisconsin is down and we have them at home... but that could still go the other way. Perhaps not. OSU will be very much improved by the time we see them... on the road and that is a long-shot for NU. Michigan at the big house... that will be very, very tough to win... very unlikely. MSU at home? A toss up. Northwestern on the road? Tossup.

We still have likely three... maybe four losses in conference upcoming. Nothing, really, has changed the prospectus for the Huskers. We are a weak team in a weak conference and will likely finish upper middle conference again.

#41 Guy Chamberlin

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

All I know is that Rex Burkhead is averaging 22 yards a carry, and scores a touchdown every other time he carries the ball.

Heisman shoo-in.

#42 Undone

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

^^^^ +1.

Conference championship locked down.

#43 OrderKindOfAlmostRestored

Scout Team

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

33.3% chance to win our division. 100% chance to take down Wisky in the CCG. Third conference championship game's a charm.
If we should win, let it be by the code. Faith and honor held high.
If we should lose, let us stand by the road, and cheer as the winners go by.

#44 Chaddyboxer

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

View PostOrderKindOfAlmostRestored, on 17 September 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

33.3% chance to win our division. 100% chance to take down Wisky in the CCG. Third conference championship game's a charm.

I still think Purdue slips into the CCG and not Wisky

#45 Lyons in the Sea of Red.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

wrong, 16.6%.
Posted Image

#46 CornHOLIO

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

View Posthuskered17, on 17 September 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

GBR!!!

Northwestern will probably be our Texas.

#47 onlyHskrfaninIL

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

View Postsheepdogmark, on 16 September 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Doesn't really matter to me ... I think at the end of the year we have 4-5 teams that get bowl bids ... we lose all but one if not all and one team from the B1G is ranked inside the Top 25.

Maybe a question to ask on this thread is ... "Will there be any team in the B1G at the end of the season that does not have atleast three losses?

No way. Not from what I have seen so far.

#48 ADS

Legend

• Members
  • 10,875 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostChaddyboxer, on 17 September 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

At this point that looks more likely.
Posted Image
Friend of ShawnWatson.

#49 Chaddyboxer

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

View Postaspeedlin4589, on 17 September 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

And I'd rather see that. Hypothetically, if we beat Wisky and NEB slips into the CCG....it's always tough to beat an opponent twice in the same season.

#50 Lyons in the Sea of Red.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

View Postaspeedlin4589, on 17 September 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Which is good, honestly. If we happen to beat Wisconsin, and somehow get into the title game, I would rather play an opponent we haven't played than someone we played during the season already. When that happens we usually don't do too well the second time around.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users