*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

I rescued a baby robin this morning.  There's a nest of robins in a tree branch just outside our second story bathroom.  Robins nest there every year.  This morning there was a ruckus out there at around 5:00 am.  A bunch of birds squawking.  I looked out and could see several birds flying around a robin's nest.  They seemed to be attacking each other.  When I went outside a little bit later part of the robin's nest was on the patio, along with a baby robin.  I think blue jays tore the a chunk out of the nest and dumped the baby robins out.  They might have carried off one or two other baby robins, because there is usually more than one.  

Anyway I was watering some flowers and doing a bit of yard work while it was still cool morning, and all the while the two adult robins were hopping around all agitated about their baby sitting there on the patio.  I kept my distance to see what would happen because robins (or any bird for that matter) generally won't accept their own baby if you pick it up or mess with it.  They'll just abandon it.  But this baby robin was far to young to fly yet, and I figured it wouldn't survive down on the ground.  So I got out a ladder, put on some work gloves, and carefully put the baby robin back in its nest.  After that the two adult robins calmed down, and were hanging around the nest.  I don't think they'll abandon the baby robin, even though I picked it up.  Hopefully the blue jays won't be back.   

edit:  Tonight when I got home from work one of the adult robins was sitting on the nest.  So I guess they didn't abandon the baby robin.  

• Plus1 3

Reddit says this is Chromostereopisis (one color appears to be in front of the other).

NWAImJe.jpg

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

Interesting wording.  Did Hawking believe there is an immortal part of humans?

He has famously said that the universe does not require a god to be, but I don't know that he's ever stated categorically that there is no god/afterlife.

EDIT - apparently the site merged these replies.  Not a fan of that feature. :D

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Reddit says this is Chromostereopisis (one color appears to be in front of the other).

NWAImJe.jpg

I think they’re right...

chromostereopsis_optical_illusion_by_vip

CeaBIWdWEAAmm4_.jpg

...if this effect is what chromostereopsis is.

Surprised I had never run across this before.

Try this- close one eye, look at it for awhile and then close the other eye. Strange...one eye I don’t see any effect and the other eye it seems to slightly reverse which color stands up from when viewing with both eyes.

After a little more reading, also of interest, I see the blue as rising above the red but apparently the more common way is for people to see the red rising above the blue. Curious to know how others here see it ?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

After a little more reading, also of interest, I see the blue as rising above the red but apparently the more common way is for people to see the red rising above the blue. Curious to know how others here see it ?

That is interesting.  I see the red above the blue.

Some people in the Reddit thread said they couldn't see the effect because they're colorblind.  My colorblindnes apparently doesn't affect this trick.

• Plus1 1

NWAImJe.jpg

chromostereopsis_optical_illusion_by_vip

CeaBIWdWEAAmm4_.jpg

Heh, that's odd.  This morning I looked at these and the 3D effect was very strong.  Red hovering above blue for all three images.  It actually looked like the red was hovering about a quarter of an inch above the blue.  This afternoon I looked again.  Nothing.  No chromostereopisis effect at all.  What's up with that?? 

Edit:  Must be something to do with my monitor at work.  I looked at it at home just now and it looks 3D.  Very distinctive.  Maybe it was the afternoon sun lighting up my work monitor.  :dunno: