NUance

*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

ZRod    2,656

All plants release moisture. It's a form of cooling among other things. That's not really an explanation. Florida has tons of vegetation too.

Though I always noticed when playing football in August or early September on a hot day, it's very humid on natural grass.

knapplc    17,860

I pulled this from the University of Tennessee's PDF about Irrigation.

How Much Water?
Turfgrass water use can be estimated using local weather-pan evaporation and crop coefficient information (Kopec, D. M. and C. Throssell. 1995. Irrigation Scheduling Techniques. Golf Course Superintendents ssociation of America Seminar Manual).

Turfgrass ET = crop coefficient x pan evaporation

The crop coefficient, with a value most often less than 1, varies among turfgrasses and geographic locations.

If, for example, the pan evaporation rate is a reported 1.9 inches / week and the tall fescue crop coefficient is an estimated 0.8, the weekly water requirement of a tall fescue turf is 1.9 inches x 0.8 or 1.52 inches. One and one-half inches (41,000 gallons per acre) of irrigation or rainfall are required to replace the amount of water lost through evapotranspiration during the week.

So, if an acre of fescue takes ~41,000 gallons of water to replace the amount of moisture lost due to evapotranspiration per week, that's more than the (roughly) 24.5 thousand gallons corn evapotranspirates per week (3,500 gallons per day x 7 days per week).

I would not have suspected that. I would have suspected that corn, being taller and having more surface area, would transpirate more.

ZRod    2,656

I pulled this from the University of Tennessee's PDF about Irrigation.

How Much Water?

Turfgrass water use can be estimated using local weather-pan evaporation and crop coefficient information (Kopec, D. M. and C. Throssell. 1995. Irrigation Scheduling Techniques. Golf Course Superintendents ssociation of America Seminar Manual).

Turfgrass ET = crop coefficient x pan evaporation

The crop coefficient, with a value most often less than 1, varies among turfgrasses and geographic locations.

If, for example, the pan evaporation rate is a reported 1.9 inches / week and the tall fescue crop coefficient is an estimated 0.8, the weekly water requirement of a tall fescue turf is 1.9 inches x 0.8 or 1.52 inches. One and one-half inches (41,000 gallons per acre) of irrigation or rainfall are required to replace the amount of water lost through evapotranspiration during the week.

So, if an acre of fescue takes ~41,000 gallons of water to replace the amount of moisture lost due to evapotranspiration per week, that's more than the (roughly) 24.5 thousand gallons corn evapotranspirates per week (3,500 gallons per day x 7 days per week).

I would not have suspected that. I would have suspected that corn, being taller and having more surface area, would transpirate more.

Grass may have a larger surface area per square unit of area occupied, that can transpire. I think only the leaves can transpire so the stalks, tasels, ear, etc. Don't count. Plus corn in a feild can tends to shade it's lower portions. I had irrigation and soils classes along time ago, but I forgot almost all of it.

knapplc    17,860

William & Kate have released new pictures of their son, in line to succeed the British throne. Local headline writer wins the day with this gem:

uf5d0qY.jpg

knapplc    17,860

Just in case you wanted to visit every pub in Great Britain, someone mapped out a route.

lnnZaDg.jpg

huKSer    1,347

Why the CFL has no defense

Coach: You cover the B gap, eh.

Player to himself: I have to cover both the B and A gaps

knapplc    17,860

This is my 40,000th post. That's kinda crazy.

I join Mavric as the only two people to have 40K or more posts on this site. Next closest is BIGREDIOWAN at a little under 28,000 posts.

suh_fan93    1,072

^

Wow. I feel like that should be celebrated somehow lol.

This kind of makes you think about your actions and how easily we can do something very stupid.

I got drunk at a baseball game, and my life will never be the same

170802-ken-pagan-split-feature.jpg?quali

Ken Pagan’s life changed forever with the extension of his elbow and the flick of his wrist.

Pagan, an avid hockey and baseball fan, etched his name in MLB postseason lore last October — just for all the wrong reasons.

“There’s no thought — you’re in the outfield, there’s a ball hit in your direction … excitement,” Pagan recalled. “Honestly, if I was to break down the blow-by-blow, I’d be speculating myself. There’s no thought process. It was an impulse.

ZRod    2,656

My parents live about half mile away. My dad said everything in their house shook and rattled from the explosion. I guess houses within 200 feet were knocked off their foundation. In the Journal Star link below you can here ammo popping off as the debris burns.

***NSFW language at about 1:20***

http://journalstar.com/news/local/911/article_78cecc8c-1076-50b9-aa79-86fa45bff106.html

suh_fan93    1,072

BOSTON: MEMBERS OF MIDGET CRIME GANG SUSPECTED OF 55 BREAK-INS

Boston, MA | Three members of the so-called Irish mob midgets, a Boston-based criminal organization composed of people of short stature, have been arrested this morning reports the Boston Chronicle.

Security camera footage show the three suspects during a home break-in in which the intruders entered the house through the pet door.

midget-crime.jpg

Mavric    9,164

Sweet.  I've never been recruited before.  But I just got this email.  Off to Greece I'm sure.

Hello,

It is my pleasure to officially announce  Aris Basketball club 2017-18 season.  intake .Aris BC is in division A1 in euro basketball league(EBL)based in Greece,We are  looking for  point guard, Small forward,Power forward and  Center.

Interested players should forward game highlight or film.We are interested to hear from any players who can add to the strength of our Men and Women. The Greek Basketball office will be pleased to assist players and parents with the complexities.Please get back to us We will contact you on receipt.

Regards
Mr Dimitrios Priftis
Team Manager

El Diaco    4,545

Okay, so I have an English/grammar question.

My daughter was telling me (and poking fun) about how her English teacher said "well did" when he meant to say well done.

I got to thinking about it and it seems to me there is nothing terribly wrong with "well did" except that it doesn't sound proper.

I did it. I did it well. I did well.... So far so good, right?

Yet if you use done in any of those it's obviously wrong. I done it well. I done well. 

So why can't it be well did, interchangeable with well done?

What rule of english or grammar am I missing here?

Mavric    9,164

I think it's the "have" that makes the difference.

Since Google knows everything, here's a chart.  No "have did."

According to this, they are different parts of speech (Past Tense vs. Past Participle) so I don't think they're interchangeable.

knapplc    17,860
On 8/4/2017 at 9:29 AM, knapplc said:

This is my 40,000th post. That's kinda crazy.

I join Mavric as the only two people to have 40K or more posts on this site. Next closest is BIGREDIOWAN at a little under 28,000 posts.

After the board reorganization I lost almost 200 posts.  Here I am at 40,000 again.  Wheeeeeeeeee!!

RedDenver    1,391
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

After the board reorganization I lost almost 200 posts.  Here I am at 40,000 again.  Wheeeeeeeeee!!

Congrats! I just crossed over 5000 posts this morning - only 35000 to go to catch up.

huKSer    1,347

Teaching high school - unit conversions between English and metric

Me: "Now lets change inches to cm. Let's say I have 10 inches ..."

A girl in class starts to giggle uncontrollably.

Enhance    3,124
7 hours ago, huKSer said:

Teaching high school - unit conversions between English and metric

Me: "Now lets change inches to cm. Let's say I have 10 inches ..."

A girl in class starts to giggle uncontrollably.

Reminds me of my physics teacher in high school teaching us about gravity and using balls as an example.

"Alright, so, let's say my balls weigh 73 newtons..."

I LOL'd.

GSG    5,521
On 9/18/2017 at 8:18 PM, suh_fan93 said:

I HEARD AN UPDATE ON THIS THE OTHER MORNING. SUPPOSEDLY SOME GUY CLAIMING TO BE A REPRESENTATIVE OF THE FAMILY MADE SOME YOUTUBE VIDEOS TO TALK ABOUT WHY SHE WAS POOPING. APPARENTLY IN THE VIDEOS HE SAID THAT SHE HAD JUST HAD GENDER REASSIGNMENT SURGERY AND CAN NO LONGER CONTROL HER BOWELS. HE'S SINCE DELETED THE VIDEOS THOUGH, SO I'M CALLING BULLSH#T

suh_fan93    1,072
4 hours ago, GSG said:

I HEARD AN UPDATE ON THIS THE OTHER MORNING. SUPPOSEDLY SOME GUY CLAIMING TO BE A REPRESENTATIVE OF THE FAMILY MADE SOME YOUTUBE VIDEOS TO TALK ABOUT WHY SHE WAS POOPING. APPARENTLY IN THE VIDEOS HE SAID THAT SHE HAD JUST HAD GENDER REASSIGNMENT SURGERY AND CAN NO LONGER CONTROL HER BOWELS. HE'S SINCE DELETED THE VIDEOS THOUGH, SO I'M CALLING BULLSH#T

THAT IS CRAZY.  SHE LOOKS ALL WOMAN TO ME BUT THEN AGAIN WHO KNOWS.   I AGREE WITH YOU THOUGH.

knapplc    17,860

You should watch this whole thing, or at least until the little guy says, "Wow! Noodles!" 

RedDenver    1,391
On 10/13/2017 at 0:46 PM, knapplc said:

Canadian Science Mr. Rogers teaches us about bells.  Weirdly interesting.

Matthias Wendel is awesome. His early videos making things from wooden gears are fascinating.