Tommy Armstrong

Not to pick nits...............And I am a big supporter of TMart..............but am just a little concerned about some signs of reverting under pressure (UCLA for sure), but a couple of footwork flaws since. The only reason I mention this is because it looks like he is better when he has time, but it's not muscle memory yet. Hopefully, he continues to improve until it is second nature.

Go ahead and pile on if I'm just being an idiot, but what happened to Tommy Armstrong? Did he redshirt? Is he injured? Is he in jail somewhere? Is Bo angry with him? I thought it was a neck and neck tie for him and Kellogg III to be the number 2 and that he was pushing Taylor Martinez for the start?

Did someone put a mickey in my Kool-aide? What am I missing here?

Pushing Tmart to start? Really?

Not to pick nits...............And I am a big supporter of TMart..............but am just a little concerned about some signs of reverting under pressure (UCLA for sure), but a couple of footwork flaws since. The only reason I mention this is because it looks like he is better when he has time, but it's not muscle memory yet. Hopefully, he continues to improve until it is second nature.

Beck can't get brain lock either! When it gets tense, our OC needs to stay the course and not turn every play into a hail Mary! Beck needs to get on the phone with Taylor and give some reassurance. Say "we got this" and then call some manageable throws or your best QB run to let Taylor get his mind off the situation!

I don't mean to hijack, but what's the deal with Carnes then? I didn't expect to see RK3 over Carnes but I missed a lot of Husker news over the summer, and I'm hearing that Armstrong is co #2 and Brion is playing WR.

You would be correct. Armstrong is co #2 with Kellogg but we all think that they will redshirt Armstrong barring something catastrophic happening.

But you have to admit that if a major injury happens to Tmart I seriously doubt Kellogg will be the starter

Disagree! I think our staff has alot of confidence in RK3!

As someone else said, depends on the situation.

If it's next game, would be a tough choice.

If it's the third quarter against Iowa and we're 8-3, RK3 without a doubt.

But you have to admit that if a major injury happens to Tmart I seriously doubt Kellogg will be the starter

Disagree! I think our staff has alot of confidence in RK3!

As someone else said, depends on the situation.

If it's next game, would be a tough choice.

If it's the third quarter against Iowa and we're 8-3, RK3 without a doubt.

I don't have any idea what they would actually do, but I really hope if that situation comes along, that they give RK3 every chance in the world to be the starter the rest of the season. No need to burn Armstrong's redshirt unless RK3 can't get it done.

He will redshirt.

In other news: Taylor Martinez>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tommy Armstrong.

Seems like some people were hinting Tommy might be a better option next year....

Taylor is a 4 year starter.. and will finish with some excellent stats.

I am a T-magic supporter....

Isn't that normally how it goes through the non-conference schedule? Normally, it's right around conference play that the Taylor hating begins. (Not that it hasn't been warranted in the past)

Finally get my say. Carnes should be sharing snaps with Kellogg III bottom line. This is poor effort on the coaching staff with managing the QBs.

I have two favorite teams -- Georgia (my alma mater) and the Cornhuskers obviously.

I am a huge Mark Richt fan. He obviously knows what he's doing----and he's not going to kill the will of his talented players. He has a starter (Aaron Murray). His top backup (Hutson Mason) is redshirting for classification issue reasons. He allows the top two backups (Christian LeMay and Parker Welch) to compete for playing time all week long even though LeMay is listed as 2nd string. Actually in the last game (48-3 win over Vanderbilt), Welch got the nod to get in the game replacing Murray because he had a better week of practice. Coach Richt said it today during his live press conference that he lets the QBs compete during the week.

Carnes has got a nice upside----in case no one has paid any attention to that. He's got nice mobility. He deserves the chance to play where his heart is at---quarterback. He came to Nebraska to play QB. At my Georgia, he would be a QB as we allowed D.J. Shockley (my favorite UGA player and mokiner on this website) to stay at his natural position even though we had a 4-year starter who was ahead of him. Shockley still started his senior year at QB and has an SEC Championship ring from that season!

It's crazy that only one player comes in to replace T-Mart after a game for Nebraska. The coaches should allow these kids to compete at practice even while the season is still going. They are killing the will of Brion Carnes. It makes me sick. Coach Richt would never do that to a key player----Not ever!

It's poor managenment of talent. At worst, Carnes should still be given reps at QB in case of a 73-7 score as in the Idaho State game. I know he is working some at receiver, but he should still be working at his natural position QB----which is where his heart is. He's got enough talent to be there.

I don't see UGA 4th stringer Parker Welch being some just-out-of-this-world playmaker, but the coaching staff rewards his hard working effort by getting him on the field based upon his effort at practice each outing.

Carnes deserves some reps after Ron Kellogg III has seen the field. It's the least they can do for the time he's been in the system some 2-plus seasons.

We would never do D.J. Shockley this way.

The thing with Carnes is, he was once extremely promising and had an exciting player. It sounds like his development at the QB position has fallen short of those initial expectations - perhaps steeply.

We're left with a situation where RK3 isn't the same kind of QB as Taylor, but is talented in a more traditional way and can run a mean offense if Taylor should go down. Tommy is on redshirt - and I guess we don't really have anybody else. But that's just a case of not having the bodies.

You could point to issues with how Carnes has been handled. I was very critical of the staff during the offseason prior to '11, because normal programs have open competitions in the spring, particularly after a season of disappointment. But the bottom line is it was always up to Carnes to step up at the position and force a competition. I wish he would have gotten his feet wet more last year and was allowed to develop some confidence and poise on the field. Nonetheless, it was still just his redshirt freshman season. If that experience ultimately derailed his progress at QB, that's on him in the end.