meltdown thread

Malth

Out-coached is as over-used a term as "adjustments" that I alluded to in a thread yesterday. When we win great. When we lose, we're out coached. BS. I am so sick of hearing that. And this mobile qb thing THAT GIVES EVERYONE FITS IN THE ENTIRE NATION is another overrated idea. But the talent and speed you are right on about. That is something that is just the way it is. We played with these guys for the most part, but remember, Braxton Miller does this to everyone. He is the sole reason Urban came there, to win a title with Braxton, fake some heart problems, and decide to spend time with family again. Cudos to him. But I wont say we were totally outcoached. We gave Ohio St a lot tonight. 21 points to be exact.

What is it you are smoking? Take off your red colored glasses. Six minutes left in the 4th and we are down 25 points and we have played with them? Point out the talent to me! Where are the players with the speed to keep up with O State? Where is the play of the offensive line? Where is the play of the defensive line, line backers and D backs? Give me a break.

Not smoking anything. Do you even know what outcoached means. What penalties? the false starts due to crowd noise. Ohio St. has committed as many if not more penalties than us. It's a talent issue. Obviously you missed the first quarter when Bo had obviously devised a scheme that ran cirles around Urban for a whole quarter, but sooner or later the gas runs out, and we didnt do enough to hold up. But i guess, we could do what you obviously have on your mind, fire Bo and whole staff and lets start again. Nick Saban? Hell why not.

Yes, I know what out coached looks like. I have coached for 42 years and know what I see. Eliminating fumbles, interceptions, penalties and false starts are part of the coaching process. In this case, for this staff, they are always present. We constantly have turnovers and stupid penalties. Why is that? And, you have to have the coaching to make the adjustments after the first quarter. The O State staff seemed to figure it out and make their adjustments, why did we not do the same? Oh, and where is the passion of our players to win?

You, my friend can't see past the end of your nose.

Now, it is 62 to 38! 24 point difference. Yes, we got embarrassed.

Well I've coached for 46 years now, and I still disagree with you. :blink:

Just because I don't support Bo, that does not make me a bad fan. There were plenty more who didn't support Callahan. And as we continue to get outclassed and embarrassed against anyone half way deacent, more people will see the the truth about Bo too. Until then, the rest of you can keep your heads burried and standards low. And all those of us who are realists can hope for is more bad losses so this joke of a Pelini experiment can be over!!!

Bingo. I have supported Bo, but the time comes when you have to wonder if the excuses have merit, or are genuinely indicative of a greater, holistic problem. After tonight, I think it's safe to attribute to the latter. This is year 5, YEAR 5, yet we continue to make the same errors in fundamentals, and problems even a football novice could spot on TV are seemingly not addressed. We have players starting on our defense right now who just aren't hacking it, and honestly would be lucky to start for Peru State. So the answer is just keeping these guys in and sticking with the same scheme? Is there really no one else that can have a shot or could do better? If something isn't working, what makes anyone think it's somehow going to work eventually? Do you wait until you're down by 4 scores to switch a scheme up? Is it really going to hurt to try someone or something different ? Football, especially in this day and age, requires the ability to react and adjust quickly. If you or unable or are too stubborn to do this, then you need to find another avenue for your energies.

Think about this: We have gone from year 2 of Pelini, having the best defense in the land, to having one of the worst defenses in school history in year 5. Wasn't this what he was brought in to primarily address? How does this happen with a professed "defensive genius?" Apologists will say the talent level is to blame, which I will agree with to an extent, but if that's a problem in year 5 of a coaching regime, it's hard for me to have much sympathy. Especially when you see teams with coaches who have been at their respective schools for a much shorter time, doing much better, and playing sound, fundamental football at places with much humbler tradition and some with geographic limitations just like we have (West Virginia, K-State, Baylor, Iowa State). What you're actually saying, if talent is a problem in year 5, that 1) recruiting is the problem, by proxy and/or 2) poor roster management is the problem. To me it seems more like poor fundamentals, stubbornness and unwillingness to change scheme, loyalty to friends and certain players, roster mismanagement, and bottom line, not having your players ready to play in big games. These should not be problems in year 5. No excuses. And we should not tolerate these problems, make excuses, or accept it. Feels like we've been here before, doesn't it?

Just because I don't support Bo, that does not make me a bad fan. There were plenty more who didn't support Callahan. And as we continue to get outclassed and embarrassed against anyone half way deacent, more people will see the the truth about Bo too. Until then, the rest of you can keep your heads burried and standards low. And all those of us who are realists can hope for is more bad losses so this joke of a Pelini experiment can be over!!!

Bingo. I have supported Bo, but the time comes when you have to wonder if the excuses have merit, or are genuinely indicative of a greater, holistic problem. After tonight, I think it's safe to attribute to the latter. This is year 5, YEAR 5, yet we continue to make the same errors in fundamentals, and problems even a football novice could spot on TV are seemingly not addressed. We have players starting on our defense right now who just aren't hacking it, and honestly would be lucky to start for Peru State. So the answer is just keeping these guys in and sticking with the same scheme? Is there really no one else that can have a shot or could do better? If something isn't working, what makes anyone think it's somehow going to work eventually? Do you wait until you're down by 4 scores to switch a scheme up? Is it really going to hurt to try someone or something different ? Football, especially in this day and age, requires the ability to react and adjust quickly. If you or unable or are too stubborn to do this, then you need to find another avenue for your energies.

Think about this: We have gone from year 2 of Pelini, having the best defense in the land, to having one of the worst defenses in school history in year 5. Wasn't this what he was brought in to primarily address? How does this happen with a professed "defense genius?" Apologists will say the talent level is to blame, which I will agree with to an extent, but if that's a problem in year 5 of a coaching regime, it's hard for me to have much sympathy. Especially when you see teams with coaches who have been at their respective schools for a much shorter time, doing much better, and playing sound, fundamental football at places with much humbler tradition and some with geographic limitations just like we have (West Virginia, K-State, Baylor, Iowa State). What you're actually saying, if talent is a problem in year 5, that 1) recruiting is the problem, by proxy and/or 2) poor roster management is the problem. To me it seems more like poor fundamentals, stubbornness and unwillingness to change scheme, loyalty to friends and certain players, roster mismanagement, and bottom line, not having your players ready to play in big games. These should not be problems in year 5. No excuses. And we should not tolerate these problems, make excuses, or accept it. Feels like we've been here before, doesn't it?

+1 statement of the year!!! How do guys like Bill Snyder, Bobby P (last year), Mangino 04 - 08 ect do it? Proof is in the puddin' and right now we have sh**ty tapioka.

• Fire 1

I have coached for 47 years, and I disagree with the fella that has coached for 42 years, and the one that has coached for 46 years.

I have coached so long I have forgotten how long I have coached for. One day I will say something relevant that makes sense.

After all these years of coaching brilliance, I should be famous. Or something.

Thank you for reading my drivel.

Carry on.

I've been wanting to start this topic for a while now, and I might as well during melt down mode. The truth is...we're not that good.

The spread on the tOSU game tonight was 3-5 points depending on your bookie...my response was "That's it?...Easy decision"...

Our defense is soft, our offense is inconstant, and our special teams makes a lot of mistakes.

We are not even close to the era where we give a top 10 team a decent football game. Sorry...but Nebraska is not a good football team...

What was your other 131 posts about? You've been on here 5 years, what else have you posted?

I know. Cooking recipes! What do you like to cook? I've missed out. Inform me on the latest cuisine.

Why do you have to be so damn negative on anyone that posts something YOU don't like? How about trying something new...like going on to a post that you do like, usually a HOMER that thinks nobodys stuff stinks even when it does, just because they are on the football team or affilieated with it? It is people like you that have made me stop coming on here. I know stink when I smell it, and I am smelling it...not only with you, but with where this football team is. If you don't like it, too damn bad.

• Fire 2

I've been wanting to start this topic for a while now, and I might as well during melt down mode. The truth is...we're not that good.

The spread on the tOSU game tonight was 3-5 points depending on your bookie...my response was "That's it?...Easy decision"...

Our defense is soft, our offense is inconstant, and our special teams makes a lot of mistakes.

We are not even close to the era where we give a top 10 team a decent football game. Sorry...but Nebraska is not a good football team...

The UCLA game was a harbinger of things to come. A bad team putting up big numbers on our defense. They got rocked by a really bad Cal team yesterday.

I totally agree about the inconsistency of this team. Seems it is a theme the last few years. I had someone tell me today that they thought Bo might be a good defensive coach, but he isn't a good head coach, and I am starting to see that if he don't start winning some big games with top ten teams, they might just be right. I am also getting tired of the comments from other team's fans about his temper tantrums on the sidelines. Heard it again tonight from a OSU fan. Not too many coaches are going to get away with that behaviour for long, before they go over the line and end up getting fired. Do we really need him tarnishing Nebraska's reputation because he can't control his temper? I for one am getting tired of it.

We keep hearing that we are only a year away from being a top ten team from the so called pundits on this board, that the team isn't that far away. Well, I have listened to that now for the last 3 years, this is Bo's team, Callahan's rejects are all gone. Where is it? I am not seeing it, especially when every game is a tale of two halves, where one half they play well, and the other half they do everything they can to lose it.

I have gone out of my way not to be negative this season, but a person can take only so much. This is not a Nebraska team that is getting the quality coaching that our championship teams got. Sorry, but it isn't there. What did we do tonight, go in at halftime and make adjustments to lose the game? Why is there no consistency? Why do we have all the turnovers? Martinez is either hot or really cold, or turning the ball over. He is a good athlete, maybe a great athlete, but he is not a good QB, and would not start on any top ten team out there.

There is my rant. So all you Homers that think there is nothing wrong with what is happening on this team...just make my day and attack me or anyone else that is seeing that our "emporer" has no clothes. He is not proving he is a good head coach. He also is not doing the university or the team any favors with his temper tantrums. We are going to start seeing the officiating being tainted against us again because of it. Count on it.